Show search

Notification

Error

Instillagel help

User
Posted 23 Jun 2018 at 17:47

Hi

had some good news. That’s a change. 

Just had a Cystoscopy. Urologist said he expected problems but it all looked good apart from a uretheral stricture which has been dilated.

Therefore I have a catheter for ten days and it is irritating the end of my penis. 

Someone reccomended Instillagel so I just rushed out and bought some. 

I was expecting a tube of gel or cream but what I got is what looks like a disposable syringe which I haven’t opened yet  

Any advice on usage?

User
Posted 23 Jun 2018 at 18:50

Yes , Just take off the small blue cap and inject some onto your finger and rub round the eye of your penis, it will sting a little then pain will go,

Put blue cap back on

wear tight under pants to help keep the catheter from moving about

User
Posted 23 Jun 2018 at 19:05

Thanks 

Is it ok to keep a while?

Maybe put it in the fridge?

the packet says throw it away after opening. It appears to be for inserting the catheter. 

User
Posted 23 Jun 2018 at 19:09

Alan

Echo what Barry has said, just to add pull the penis back a little and smear gel onto catheter then release the penis this gets it further down the urethra, DO NOT try to pull the Catheter out to apply the gel. The gel is "supposed" be a discarded once opened and used. Personally I do it as the nurses do it, take the blue cap off, insert the end of the syringe between the catheter and the eye of the penis and squeeze until it overflows. 

Thanks Chris

User
Posted 23 Jun 2018 at 19:16

Alan

We are all adults on here and don't always do what we are told, l certainly don't throw away a part used tube but I do take steps to make sure the risk of cross contamination is minimised.

Thanks Chris

User
Posted 23 Jun 2018 at 19:18

Thanks everyone.

Just going to start. I'm expecting miracles. :-)

On a high. Results of my Cystoscopy is the best news I've had since all this started 18 months ago.

Just found an NHS Oxford University Hospital guide about using Instillagel.

It says exactly the same as you guys so thank you very much guys.

User
Posted 23 Jun 2018 at 19:34

Wow

Give the guys that developed this a medal!!!

User
Posted 23 Jun 2018 at 22:33

I eventually was recommended Instillagel by my chemist.

I used one syringe several times without any ill effect.

Having the catheter in place for 9 weeks I was relieved to have discovered this after going 5 weeks without any relief.

Hope its working for you Alan

User
Posted 23 Jun 2018 at 22:41

Hi Rich

Thanks for replying. 

Sorry you went for so long. 

Yes it seems to be working. 

I was wondering how often to use it but an NHS document I found says as often as I need. 

User
Posted 24 Jun 2018 at 09:39
Hi Alan

An alternative to Instillagel is KY Jelly.

Alan

User
Posted 24 Jun 2018 at 17:20

Still getting some pain and irritation, not too bothered about that as catheter is coming out Thursday. 

What I am bothered about is that peeing, whether into the night bag or just with the tap on, is extremely painful. 

Could it be an infection?

Will it be ok until Thursday?

User
Posted 24 Jun 2018 at 18:33

Alan

If the pain is in the bladder it sounds like a bladder spasm, even when I have  my SPC on free draining I get discomfort in the bladder as the bladder drains what the catheter cannot drain. If your catheter is high up in the bladder there may be a fair amount of urine below the cathcath drain ports.  If the pain is accompanied by a bit of leaking from the penis is sounds like by passing and is quite common. Could be an infection, so as always, if in doubt get advice from your medical team.

Thanks Chris

User
Posted 24 Jun 2018 at 18:38

Thanks Chris 

I have to go to Urology tomorrow to collect a couple of night bags I am short of. 

I’ll see if I can find anyone who will talk to me without an appointment. 

User
Posted 25 Jun 2018 at 10:59

Urology nurse says it is fairly common and it will   be fine until Thursday. 

User
Posted 22 Jul 2019 at 23:57

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member

Thanks 

Is it ok to keep a while?

Maybe put it in the fridge?

the packet says throw it away after opening. It appears to be for inserting the catheter. 

Just to update this old thread, hospital just gave me an Instillagel syringe to use on my arse due to RT irritation. They said store it in the fridge after opening.