I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Just diagnosed with PC - can I enjoy a beer?

User
Posted 02 Jul 2018 at 13:13

Hi everyone.  I'm new here.  Diagnosed this morning.  Gleason score of 7 (3+4).

I'm mulling over the options - surgery or radiotherapy.

In the mean time, can I still enjoy a drink, in moderation?  And is there a preferred option?

I don't drink spirits, but beer or red wine okay?  The info on the net is sometime conflicting, unsurprisingly.

Any thoughts?

Reg

User
Posted 02 Jul 2018 at 13:59
Of course you can and I dare say you probably need one in the circumstances!!! The moderation is the key statement.

Good luck to you! I believe only the radiotherapy treatment is where you need to exercise caution with diet and you are not near that stage even if you decide to have it.

Richard

User
Posted 02 Jul 2018 at 14:02
In your situation and prior to any treatment which may cause some changes, I would carry on drinking - sensibly- as no doubt you usually do.

Let us know more about things as they develop, if you feel so inclined.

i

Barry
User
Posted 02 Jul 2018 at 14:35
Hello Reg only time I curbed beer was when I was having chemo and that was only because chemo messes with your tastebuds so I shouldn't think a few beers is gonna hurt.Good luck to you Geoff
User
Posted 02 Jul 2018 at 14:43
I haven’t altered my drinking habits at all since being diagnosed 3 1/2 yrs ago. Love my beer , love my red , and won’t be stopping either any time soon ....
User
Posted 02 Jul 2018 at 15:28
Hell yes have a drink, carry on as normal and what ever you decide start on the pelvic floor exercises.
User
Posted 02 Jul 2018 at 15:43
Hi Gaijin Reg,

You’ve got the bloody thing right now, so drinking or not will make no difference as to your prognosis, so go for it!

In fact, once you have any kind of treatment, you are encouraged to “drink plenty of fluids”, which in my book, means beer and wine.

If you have not done so, please fill in all your clinical details on your profile page, to enable the sage voices here to offer you the best advice going forward.

Best of luck anyway. Will it be Sapporo or Asahi?

Cheers, John.

User
Posted 02 Jul 2018 at 15:45

I admire these guys carrying on.  Just after my psa was said to be high I stopped drinking all alcohol until I felt the operation wounds had healed which was about 6 months.  It seemed unbelievable but it wasn't so bad.   Now I only drink very lightly.   The reason for that was that I wanted my body to be as healthy as it could be for whatever was to come and secondly I found that after a few drinks I started worrying more especially in the night and the morning after.   

Stopping drinking also seemed to cure something I'd had for quite a while which was dry eyes that needed drops.  I also lost some weight, the surgeon commenting that I was a good weight for the operation.

As the others have said it's your call.  I'd feel sure the doctors will tell you if you need to stop drinking.

User
Posted 02 Jul 2018 at 16:10
Hi Pete,

I come to this situation where I didn’t have any symptoms of PCa last November when a routine blood test revealed a raised PSA, and frankly, four weeks today after my prostatectomy I have but two or three abdominal scabby keyhole wounds and am completely fit with no symptoms either. So I can hardly describe myself as a cancer “sufferer”.

Nothing doing on the ED front though, yet!

I have not worried at all about my affliction, having researched it extensively, and having found an excellent surgeon, life goes on.

If I had been diagnosed with liver, lung or pancreatic cancer, I would need more than Tena Light pads, probably large Terry-towelling full-capacity nappies!

Cheers, John.

User
Posted 02 Jul 2018 at 22:01

Hi Reg

It’s been more than 12 years since my RP/RT and I reckon I’ve have enjoyed a drink almost everyday since, be it beer or wine. Done the odd abstinence such as Lent or Ramadan. My monthly blood tests tend to be perfect except for the PSA. I’m G7(4+3) T3b.

Cheers
Stu

Edited by member 02 Jul 2018 at 22:15  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 02 Jul 2018 at 23:30

Thanks everyone for the encouragement.

Moderation, yes.

User
Posted 02 Jul 2018 at 23:32

Yebisu or one of the local craft beers!

Will get round to posting clinical details in a few days.

Need to speak to the doctor on Monday 9th and ask him all

the questions I couldn't think of yesterday.

User
Posted 02 Jul 2018 at 23:39
Surely Asahi Super Dry but preferably on Honshu? Sake even better!!! Roll on September!!
User
Posted 03 Jul 2018 at 00:01

The one "good" thing about PC is that there is zero evidence that it is drink related or that alchahol affects its progression  in any way.

Of course you should only drink in moderation as any more than that is bad for you in a multitude of other ways!  

The things you should do if you want impact your PC positively are eat healthy and lose weight.

User
Posted 04 Jul 2018 at 10:25

Thanks again for the responses.  I guess what I mean by my original question is that, as I have yet to have surgery, is there anything I might consume, drink or food, which might exacerbate or speed up the cancer before I get to the treatment stage.

I fully intend to balance care with pleasure after I have been treated, but should one take extra precautions before treatment?

In the event, I had one small glass of wine and half a bottle of beer.  It was a pre-arranged night out with a friend, originally intended to celebrate my "all clear"... C'est la vie!

User
Posted 05 Jul 2018 at 10:33

There are a few theories about food that could effect growth.  They're hormone related, foods that contain hormones such as dairy e.g. cheese and butter.  Some say plastic wrapping contains a hormone, the ones that don't are often marked but can't recall what the mark is.  Also keeping down your testosterone might help, red meat, lifting weights at the gym.  Asparagus is said to be bad as well.  You can look these up as I don't recall the reasons.  I used to eat tons of cheese but now hardly eat any, same with asparagus.   

Probably in the time to treatment it isn't going to make much difference but my lesion was said to be close to the edge and I had an image that the smallest difference could have made an irreversible impact.

Despite doing all that my lesion was upgraded to 4+4 after the op.  Although it's not uncommon for a full pathology report to be different from the biopsy.  My biopsy hardly found any bad cells at all, just one pin 5%.

User
Posted 05 Jul 2018 at 23:25

Out of dairy products, cutting butter will be the hardest for me, but not impossible.

Now - asparagus.   So that's why my pee smelled funny after eating it! I thought it was just a measure of how fresh and healthy the asparagus was. And it's a vegetable too...  You never know.