I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

T3 for me, U2?

User
Posted 04 Jul 2018 at 17:03

(Feel free to ignore the idiotic title, I too-often inappropriately favour the jovial quip.)

Under the guise of 'helpful transparency', here's a quick update to my previous mental meanderings.

I had a TRUS biopsy this morning... set me thinking about how when I was recently in A&E, I was asked to complete a 'how likely are you to recommend us?' questionnaire.

How likely? What... to recommend 'having a stranger shove gawd-knows-what (I didn't look) up yer poop-shute, accompanied by what sounded like the firing of a spud-gun I had when I was 8'?

Hhhmmm... let me think a bit.

The recent MRI I hugely enjoyed. (Particularly the middle-eight, where the beat got quite funky for a mo' and the didgeridoo came in from the left.)
This, not so much.

Very odd feeling, uncomfortable rather than painful... quite tolerable. And, of course, very useful if you want to remain on the 'staying alive' pathway.

A bonus is perhaps that any innate latent gay tendency/curiosity has now been 'none of that for me, thankyouverymuch' firmly nuked. And all without having to sheepishly frequent 'the right bars' or that guilty morning after walk-of-shame.

I did at one point mutter something about 'feels like you can't find fourth gear', but refrained from asking whether there was any sign of that sixpence I'd inadvertently swallowed in the 1965 Xmas pudding.

Honestly, at times it felt like someone was rowing a boat in there.

I realise some of this pseudo-humour may be potentially offensive, but it's really not meant to be... in fact, quite the reverse - outlining my way of dealing with stuff I'd prefer to not have happening, perhaps it'll help lighten the tone elsewhere.

Anyway, we can move on to the next stage - bone scan. (The video for that looked very uneventful, about as exciting as watching accountants sleep.)

Meantime, me and my 'T3 - locally advanced prostate cancer' cruise-on through life - or at least what's left of it.

(Schwarzenegger was a T-101 in 'Terminator', so clearly I've some way to go. Maybe I'll get upgraded to T4 next time.)

From what relatively little I know... whether T3/T4 or T123456789000000000435678, treatment is largely the same. Survival rate of course varies... from no impact on life expectancy, to 'can I please have your trifle?' [cos you'll be dead before dessert].

I did momentarily wonder whether I should ask to retain my 3x-enlarged prostate - add it to the paperweight collection of one of my grand-daughters.

In other news... on the walk back, all the crossing lights were green-to-go in my favour - unimpeded flow across seven lanes of traffic, with a backpack full of Lidl's finest junk food. Bliss.

In next week's exciting episode of 'My Glamorous Life'... The Gleason Scores!

I'm of course expecting the worst - and anything less is a bonus.

Oddly, I'm still not worried.
(And that's not the same as 'I don't care'.)
I'm either drawing huge amounts of bravado - or those mushrooms I downed in 79 have finally kicked-in.

Seriously though, whatever I have/don't have is something about which I can do b**ger-all'. And worrying would simply further-dampen things. So, 'plan for the worst, hope for the best' seems ok to me.

Almost forgot, sorry - before I go...
Entirely constructively (honestly, the bleaker it gets the happier I'm determined to be), perhaps I could rework the 'Me and My Shadow' classic (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-4uKgXRnpI) - cross-out 'shadow' and pencil-in 'tumour'. Yeah, maybe. That might work.

Edited by member 05 Jul 2018 at 05:56  | Reason: Typos

User
Posted 04 Jul 2018 at 17:03

(Feel free to ignore the idiotic title, I too-often inappropriately favour the jovial quip.)

Under the guise of 'helpful transparency', here's a quick update to my previous mental meanderings.

I had a TRUS biopsy this morning... set me thinking about how when I was recently in A&E, I was asked to complete a 'how likely are you to recommend us?' questionnaire.

How likely? What... to recommend 'having a stranger shove gawd-knows-what (I didn't look) up yer poop-shute, accompanied by what sounded like the firing of a spud-gun I had when I was 8'?

Hhhmmm... let me think a bit.

The recent MRI I hugely enjoyed. (Particularly the middle-eight, where the beat got quite funky for a mo' and the didgeridoo came in from the left.)
This, not so much.

Very odd feeling, uncomfortable rather than painful... quite tolerable. And, of course, very useful if you want to remain on the 'staying alive' pathway.

A bonus is perhaps that any innate latent gay tendency/curiosity has now been 'none of that for me, thankyouverymuch' firmly nuked. And all without having to sheepishly frequent 'the right bars' or that guilty morning after walk-of-shame.

I did at one point mutter something about 'feels like you can't find fourth gear', but refrained from asking whether there was any sign of that sixpence I'd inadvertently swallowed in the 1965 Xmas pudding.

Honestly, at times it felt like someone was rowing a boat in there.

I realise some of this pseudo-humour may be potentially offensive, but it's really not meant to be... in fact, quite the reverse - outlining my way of dealing with stuff I'd prefer to not have happening, perhaps it'll help lighten the tone elsewhere.

Anyway, we can move on to the next stage - bone scan. (The video for that looked very uneventful, about as exciting as watching accountants sleep.)

Meantime, me and my 'T3 - locally advanced prostate cancer' cruise-on through life - or at least what's left of it.

(Schwarzenegger was a T-101 in 'Terminator', so clearly I've some way to go. Maybe I'll get upgraded to T4 next time.)

From what relatively little I know... whether T3/T4 or T123456789000000000435678, treatment is largely the same. Survival rate of course varies... from no impact on life expectancy, to 'can I please have your trifle?' [cos you'll be dead before dessert].

I did momentarily wonder whether I should ask to retain my 3x-enlarged prostate - add it to the paperweight collection of one of my grand-daughters.

In other news... on the walk back, all the crossing lights were green-to-go in my favour - unimpeded flow across seven lanes of traffic, with a backpack full of Lidl's finest junk food. Bliss.

In next week's exciting episode of 'My Glamorous Life'... The Gleason Scores!

I'm of course expecting the worst - and anything less is a bonus.

Oddly, I'm still not worried.
(And that's not the same as 'I don't care'.)
I'm either drawing huge amounts of bravado - or those mushrooms I downed in 79 have finally kicked-in.

Seriously though, whatever I have/don't have is something about which I can do b**ger-all'. And worrying would simply further-dampen things. So, 'plan for the worst, hope for the best' seems ok to me.

Almost forgot, sorry - before I go...
Entirely constructively (honestly, the bleaker it gets the happier I'm determined to be), perhaps I could rework the 'Me and My Shadow' classic (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-4uKgXRnpI) - cross-out 'shadow' and pencil-in 'tumour'. Yeah, maybe. That might work.

Edited by member 05 Jul 2018 at 05:56  | Reason: Typos

User
Posted 05 Jul 2018 at 19:43

@Banjobert...

Thanks for the thanks.
It's genuinely appreciated.

I can understand how 'I have cancer' is hardly a source of joy - and as I seem to not be worried about my own circumstances, I'm happy to 'constructively jest' if it helps anyone.

@Bollinge...

Thanks for your kind words too - I'd expect nought less. :-)

As for 'forthcoming template biopsy'... hopefully T3b has dispelled any chance of that. The MRI result + the breakout should, regardless of Gleason score, automatically classify as 'aggressive' and suggest appropriate activity... for which I'll be requesting hormone plus radiotherapy, plus whatever else seems sensible following a bone scan.

The rest of this post has no levity, and is included as info potentially useful to others.

Of course, the above para is subject to the 'postcode lottery' which seems to be relevant for prostate treatment - which can vary greatly depending on where you live and the preferences of the surgeon.

Yesterday's consult was strange... in that the first words of the consultant were 'How do you want us to proceed with this? We're happy for you to suggest the course.'

The backstory to this is that as my '2-week-wait' turned-out to be six-plus, and that despite normal procedure at my local hospital being pre-biopsy MRI I wasn't allocated one, I raised a formal complaint.

Within a day, I met the surgeon (in a hastily arranged meet which I hadn't asked for) and requested clarification. His view was that with my PSA, 'it'd be harder to miss it [cancer] than find it' and hence he saw no point.

After explaining that I felt a pre-TRUS MRI to be worthwhile because it'd 1) enable better targeting and 2) show the margins, an mpMRI was arranged and completed.

So, at yesterday's session, he explained 'I'll be honest, I've never done it this way before, and would normally have biopsied straight away.' When I asked 'Did you mean when we met a couple weeks ago?' his answer was 'yes'.

That's very odd, because at no point during that earlier meet was a there-and-then unscheduled TRUS even mentioned. The course of the conversation was their regret at the necessary delay.

Anyway, can't turn back time, so we move forward... and that 'treatment seems to vary greatly depending on where you live and the preferences of the surgeon' thing.

I can see no good reason for hauling-out the prostate, and the consequent risks thereof. I realise this might sound controversial to some - but my reading shows enough similar(ish) cases where in various hospitals it's been left in-situ.

My personal view is that I'd rather have 3 years choosing when to p*ss, than 5 dribbling like a poorly-maintained tap.

(And, always worth a watch, the 'Billy Connolly - Incontinence Pants' riff: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGNMeR-BOis)

My view through this has remained similar to a particular scene in a Bond movie... where Goldfinger has 007 strapped to a table, about to be sliced by a laser. Bond asks 'So you expect me to talk?', to be answered with a 'No, Mr Bond. I expect you to die.'

Long-story-short, I expect to die from this - although whether in 6 months or 6 years is a not-yet-known.

This morning I read about 'how life expectancy is increased by a particular chemo drug'... which sounds good - but buried in the detail is that the average is by about 10 percent, 7-9 months on 7 years.

Personally, I neither want not need that extra time with the reduced quality of life.

I'm surprised by just how genuinely unworried about it I am, and not at all unhappy... peaceably going about my stuff in my own way, and very relaxed.

When things reach a point of 'look mate, it all gets a bit crap from now on' I'll quietly self-terminate.

User
Posted 07 Jul 2018 at 16:26

Gulliver, I share a very similar view to you regarding living with cancer and its treatment. I tend to discuss my flippant side of it privately though. I know what you're saying about sharing your approach, but I also know that some people get very anxious rather than irreverent in the same situation. It's a tricky line to tread. Maybe there's some merit in having an extra forum option (with a warning!) for those of us who enjoy writing with a slightly fruitier flavour about the subject?

cheers
Graham

Edited by member 07 Jul 2018 at 16:27  | Reason: typos. again..

User
Posted 27 Aug 2018 at 18:37

@Sinic...

Thank you.

If I can help cheer others, I'm happy.

Early days are often (and rightly!) worry-filled.

And subsequent times... well, what can and might happen can get 'pretty bl**dy grim'.

So then... best not to think about it? Perhaps.

My own view is 'be aware of fact, try to look on the bright side - things could always be worse (even when we think they can't)'.

My best hopes and wishes to you and your partner/family.

There's a lot of people here who've been through stuff you wouldn't wish on your worst enemy. And, to help others, they're happy to share their knowledge and experience.

Me, I can only crack a joke-or-two (other posts of mine are similarly irreverent) in hope of temporarily lightening someone's mood.

Unless an airplane engine falls on my head, or 'doughnut overdose' gets me first... my own Pca will almost certainly kill me - I just don't know when. So, meantime, I'm getting on with what's left of my life and genuinely enjoying things. (And, as part of 'putting my stuff in order, I've done a lot of tidying-and-labelling recently.)

Edited by member 27 Aug 2018 at 18:38  | Reason: Untempered enthusiasm led me to post without first reading-through.

User
Posted 04 Jul 2018 at 23:54

I mentioned that the MRI sounded a bit Pink Floyd like to a young bloke in a red overall.  Whatever the red overall meant, it gave it a sort of Star Trek feel.  He gave me a strange look that made me think he'd seen the dark side of the moon and had a saucer full of secrets.  Although the consultant later said it had been partly obscured by clouds and a template biopsy would help.  Comfortably numb is a good  way to be. 

User
Posted 05 Jul 2018 at 10:25
Nice one gulliver we all need a laugh to help us along .Your reference to spud gun reminded me to of spud gun.I told nurse and man in red coat how me and a friend were ejected from picture house for shooting spud gun. They asked me what is a picture house and WHAT is a spud gun.all the best Geoff.
User
Posted 05 Jul 2018 at 10:31
You should be ashamed of your irreverent and insensitive comments regarding what some of us regard as a very serious, nay, life-threatening matter!

Hope you are looking forward to your no doubt forthcoming template biopsy.

User
Posted 06 Jul 2018 at 23:32
My initial thoughts were, 'was this thread written under the influence of drink or drugs or maybe both?' But I understand some people have a flippant and flamboyant way of writing and dealing with their situation which may appeal to some whilst being a turn off for others.
Barry
User
Posted 07 Jul 2018 at 08:40

@Auld Codger

> Gulliver, please bear in mind that this forum is a source of advice for folk genuinely worried about PCa and needing reassurance about their prospects and help in maximising them.

That's something of which I'm duly aware, along with this being a venue to:

Seek and offer support
Ask questions
Share information
Share personal stories and experiences of prostate cancer

> Have your (to me) unfunny contributions helped or would be likely to help those folk? If not, pleae desist.

With the above 4-points in mind, my contributions here are valid... objectively, in terms of 'I wasn't aware of [whatever]', and subjectively - 'I hadn't thought of it like that'. So yes, they help people.

You perhaps miss/ignore an issue beyond 'folk genuinely worried about PCa and needing reassurance about their prospects and help in maximising them'... in that at some point 'a revised perspective opens-up and a new reality dawns' - something which can be loosely paraphrased as 'Basically, I'm f***ed, so let's face this full-on and live accordingly.'

---------------------

@Old Barry

> My initial thoughts were, 'was this thread written under the influence of drink or drugs or maybe both?'

The 'under the influence' is understandable, though not so - it's simply an honest and open expression of a mind which is more creative than some.

> But I understand some people have a flippant and flamboyant way of writing and dealing with their situation which may appeal to some whilst being a turn off for others.

Exactly right.

Edited by member 07 Jul 2018 at 08:40  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 07 Jul 2018 at 18:08

Keep your travels up Gulliver,

I for one appreciate your dark humour and believe that if your words were at all offensive the moderator would intervene

and defused your posts. I have been posting and reading this website everyday for over 8 years and frankly find your humour

refreshing from the dark corners that pervade this forum.

Happy travels Gulliver and keep this website balanced. If anyone is unhappy with your words then they simply have to stop reading them.

Chigwell 2010.

User
Posted 07 Jul 2018 at 18:09

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member

Maybe there's some merit in having an extra forum option (with a warning!) for those of us who enjoy writing with a slightly fruitier flavour about the subject?

cheers
Graham

What, a safe space for snowflakes? I’ve got / had / maybe still have cancer, but it won’t change my life or my outlook on it. I think a bit of levity for what some is a grim situation is good. Laughter is the best medicine.

Cheers, John.

User
Posted 08 Jul 2018 at 04:14

'Jeez, I turn away for a moment and it all lights up.'

...so, sorry for my slow response, I was busy having cancer. (Actually, I fell asleep on the sofa.)

--------------------------------

@grahamt...

> Gulliver, I share a very similar view to you regarding living with cancer and its treatment. Maybe there's some merit in having an extra forum option (with a warning!) for those of us who enjoy writing with a slightly fruitier flavour about the subject?

That's a sensible and understandable view, and has merit.

My personal view is that it's maybe neither necessary nor wise... we're all adults, and as such ought to be able to handle/respect a variety of attitudes and expression thereof - toward which I'm sure that my witterings are of more help than harm.

@chigwell2010

> Keep your travels up Gulliver, I appreciate your dark humour and find your humour refreshing from the dark corners that pervade this forum. If anyone is unhappy with your words then they simply have to stop reading them.

My genuine thanks for the encouragement, and if I've helped someone smile then I'm happy.
I agree with the view of 'don't like, then don't read'.

And (for comments that weren't directed toward me, I feel it'd be impolite to not answer)...

@Bollinge

> I think a bit of levity for what some is a grim situation is good. Laughter is the best medicine.

@grahamt...

> Laughter may well be the best medicine, but it's presumptuous to apply that to everyone - some may be dealing with a level of shock at what life has just thrown at them. I might suggest having a quick look at other posts to see not everyone responds to cancer and unpredictable outcomes in quite the same way.

I don't think John (Bollinge) is applying that to everyone, and even if he is it's not a bad thing... and is a good suggestion.

We're all dealing with shock and 'unpredictable outcome' (will this kill me, and how quickly?) [to which my view on my personal situation is 'yes' and 'sooner than I initially considered'].

@Rich12

> If you don't like it don't follow the thread.

Sensible stuff, with which I agree.

And finally... right now, in being very tired, I feel I probably don't have a lot more to add to either this thread or the forum... although I might inject some further inanity at a later point - duly wrapped in a 'this is my experience of RT/chemo/etcetera', with a genuine intent of helping someone better understand or deal with something about which they're wondering.

So, my thanks to those who've helped me - I'm grateful for the help and warmth I've received, and wish everyone well.

What's just crossed my mind is a scene from the 'Dr Strangelove' movie, where Kong is riding the bomb: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ueuauKKjPZI

Tomorrow, I may make some sticky-tape labels, so that when I'm next at Sainsburys I can change those 'nine items or less' checkout signs to 'nine months or less'. Yeah, maybe.

User
Posted 08 Jul 2018 at 11:33

At risk of digging a deeper hole for myself... 

While not able to assist with spud guns, I've heard that the item below is quite effective at removing all traces of Pca...

https://www.americamagazine.org/sites/default/files/main_image/Koreas%20Tension%20The%20Yo_McKi.jpg

Of course, please read the instructions, and remember that results may vary.

Edited by member 08 Jul 2018 at 11:35  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 29 Aug 2018 at 08:31

@Claret and @Pablito...

My genuine thanks to you for such kindness.
I'm warmed, humbled, and encouraged.

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 04 Jul 2018 at 23:54

I mentioned that the MRI sounded a bit Pink Floyd like to a young bloke in a red overall.  Whatever the red overall meant, it gave it a sort of Star Trek feel.  He gave me a strange look that made me think he'd seen the dark side of the moon and had a saucer full of secrets.  Although the consultant later said it had been partly obscured by clouds and a template biopsy would help.  Comfortably numb is a good  way to be. 

User
Posted 05 Jul 2018 at 02:24
Keep em coming!!!

PS what's happened to Lynn??

User
Posted 05 Jul 2018 at 05:53

@PeteOct16... credit to you for such adept usage of Floyd titles.

If you'd included song titles, there's various additional darkly-appropriate choices, examples of which might be:

When asked about my prognosis, the doc simply smiled 'Absolutely Curtains'.
And possibly, when lying, with trousers lowered and knees-to-chest, on the couch I could have muttered 'Behold the Temple of Light'.
Also, during his poking-around: 'Careful with That Axe, Eugene'.

But enough.

@francij1... as to where Lynn might be, I've no idea but genuinely hope she's ok.

User
Posted 05 Jul 2018 at 10:25
Nice one gulliver we all need a laugh to help us along .Your reference to spud gun reminded me to of spud gun.I told nurse and man in red coat how me and a friend were ejected from picture house for shooting spud gun. They asked me what is a picture house and WHAT is a spud gun.all the best Geoff.
User
Posted 05 Jul 2018 at 10:31
You should be ashamed of your irreverent and insensitive comments regarding what some of us regard as a very serious, nay, life-threatening matter!

Hope you are looking forward to your no doubt forthcoming template biopsy.

User
Posted 05 Jul 2018 at 19:43

@Banjobert...

Thanks for the thanks.
It's genuinely appreciated.

I can understand how 'I have cancer' is hardly a source of joy - and as I seem to not be worried about my own circumstances, I'm happy to 'constructively jest' if it helps anyone.

@Bollinge...

Thanks for your kind words too - I'd expect nought less. :-)

As for 'forthcoming template biopsy'... hopefully T3b has dispelled any chance of that. The MRI result + the breakout should, regardless of Gleason score, automatically classify as 'aggressive' and suggest appropriate activity... for which I'll be requesting hormone plus radiotherapy, plus whatever else seems sensible following a bone scan.

The rest of this post has no levity, and is included as info potentially useful to others.

Of course, the above para is subject to the 'postcode lottery' which seems to be relevant for prostate treatment - which can vary greatly depending on where you live and the preferences of the surgeon.

Yesterday's consult was strange... in that the first words of the consultant were 'How do you want us to proceed with this? We're happy for you to suggest the course.'

The backstory to this is that as my '2-week-wait' turned-out to be six-plus, and that despite normal procedure at my local hospital being pre-biopsy MRI I wasn't allocated one, I raised a formal complaint.

Within a day, I met the surgeon (in a hastily arranged meet which I hadn't asked for) and requested clarification. His view was that with my PSA, 'it'd be harder to miss it [cancer] than find it' and hence he saw no point.

After explaining that I felt a pre-TRUS MRI to be worthwhile because it'd 1) enable better targeting and 2) show the margins, an mpMRI was arranged and completed.

So, at yesterday's session, he explained 'I'll be honest, I've never done it this way before, and would normally have biopsied straight away.' When I asked 'Did you mean when we met a couple weeks ago?' his answer was 'yes'.

That's very odd, because at no point during that earlier meet was a there-and-then unscheduled TRUS even mentioned. The course of the conversation was their regret at the necessary delay.

Anyway, can't turn back time, so we move forward... and that 'treatment seems to vary greatly depending on where you live and the preferences of the surgeon' thing.

I can see no good reason for hauling-out the prostate, and the consequent risks thereof. I realise this might sound controversial to some - but my reading shows enough similar(ish) cases where in various hospitals it's been left in-situ.

My personal view is that I'd rather have 3 years choosing when to p*ss, than 5 dribbling like a poorly-maintained tap.

(And, always worth a watch, the 'Billy Connolly - Incontinence Pants' riff: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGNMeR-BOis)

My view through this has remained similar to a particular scene in a Bond movie... where Goldfinger has 007 strapped to a table, about to be sliced by a laser. Bond asks 'So you expect me to talk?', to be answered with a 'No, Mr Bond. I expect you to die.'

Long-story-short, I expect to die from this - although whether in 6 months or 6 years is a not-yet-known.

This morning I read about 'how life expectancy is increased by a particular chemo drug'... which sounds good - but buried in the detail is that the average is by about 10 percent, 7-9 months on 7 years.

Personally, I neither want not need that extra time with the reduced quality of life.

I'm surprised by just how genuinely unworried about it I am, and not at all unhappy... peaceably going about my stuff in my own way, and very relaxed.

When things reach a point of 'look mate, it all gets a bit crap from now on' I'll quietly self-terminate.

User
Posted 06 Jul 2018 at 16:24
Gulliver, please bear in mind that this forum is a source of advice for folk genuinely worried about PCa and needing reassurance about their prospects and help in maximising them. Have your (to me) unfunny contributions helped or would be likely to help those folk? If not, pleae desist.

AC

User
Posted 06 Jul 2018 at 23:32
My initial thoughts were, 'was this thread written under the influence of drink or drugs or maybe both?' But I understand some people have a flippant and flamboyant way of writing and dealing with their situation which may appeal to some whilst being a turn off for others.
Barry
User
Posted 07 Jul 2018 at 08:40

@Auld Codger

> Gulliver, please bear in mind that this forum is a source of advice for folk genuinely worried about PCa and needing reassurance about their prospects and help in maximising them.

That's something of which I'm duly aware, along with this being a venue to:

Seek and offer support
Ask questions
Share information
Share personal stories and experiences of prostate cancer

> Have your (to me) unfunny contributions helped or would be likely to help those folk? If not, pleae desist.

With the above 4-points in mind, my contributions here are valid... objectively, in terms of 'I wasn't aware of [whatever]', and subjectively - 'I hadn't thought of it like that'. So yes, they help people.

You perhaps miss/ignore an issue beyond 'folk genuinely worried about PCa and needing reassurance about their prospects and help in maximising them'... in that at some point 'a revised perspective opens-up and a new reality dawns' - something which can be loosely paraphrased as 'Basically, I'm f***ed, so let's face this full-on and live accordingly.'

---------------------

@Old Barry

> My initial thoughts were, 'was this thread written under the influence of drink or drugs or maybe both?'

The 'under the influence' is understandable, though not so - it's simply an honest and open expression of a mind which is more creative than some.

> But I understand some people have a flippant and flamboyant way of writing and dealing with their situation which may appeal to some whilst being a turn off for others.

Exactly right.

Edited by member 07 Jul 2018 at 08:40  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 07 Jul 2018 at 16:26

Gulliver, I share a very similar view to you regarding living with cancer and its treatment. I tend to discuss my flippant side of it privately though. I know what you're saying about sharing your approach, but I also know that some people get very anxious rather than irreverent in the same situation. It's a tricky line to tread. Maybe there's some merit in having an extra forum option (with a warning!) for those of us who enjoy writing with a slightly fruitier flavour about the subject?

cheers
Graham

Edited by member 07 Jul 2018 at 16:27  | Reason: typos. again..

User
Posted 07 Jul 2018 at 18:08

Keep your travels up Gulliver,

I for one appreciate your dark humour and believe that if your words were at all offensive the moderator would intervene

and defused your posts. I have been posting and reading this website everyday for over 8 years and frankly find your humour

refreshing from the dark corners that pervade this forum.

Happy travels Gulliver and keep this website balanced. If anyone is unhappy with your words then they simply have to stop reading them.

Chigwell 2010.

User
Posted 07 Jul 2018 at 18:09

Maybe there's some merit in having an extra forum option (with a warning!) for those of us who enjoy writing with a slightly fruitier flavour about the subject?

cheers
Graham

What, a safe space for snowflakes? I’ve got / had / maybe still have cancer, but it won’t change my life or my outlook on it. I think a bit of levity for what some is a grim situation is good. Laughter is the best medicine.

Cheers, John.

User
Posted 07 Jul 2018 at 20:41
Ah. I think you misunderstand me. Unfortunately, a seemingly common occurrence with forum stuff. I wasn't thinking of a safe place for 'snowflakes' (so last year!), it was a safe place for the more irreverent I was thinking of. Laughter may well be the best medicine for you, but perhaps it's a little presumptuous to apply that to everyone, especially when some may very well be dealing with a level of shock at what life has just thrown at them. I might suggest having a quick look at other posts to see not everyone responds to cancer and unpredictable outcomes in quite the same way.
User
Posted 07 Jul 2018 at 22:42
In a somewhat similar vein, before this forum adopted it's present format, (and some preferred the former one), there was a section for jokes and funny stories - passed on a few that came my way - but this section has been defunct for a few years now.
Barry
User
Posted 08 Jul 2018 at 04:14

'Jeez, I turn away for a moment and it all lights up.'

...so, sorry for my slow response, I was busy having cancer. (Actually, I fell asleep on the sofa.)

@grahamt...

> Gulliver, I share a very similar view to you regarding living with cancer and its treatment. Maybe there's some merit in having an extra forum option (with a warning!) for those of us who enjoy writing with a slightly fruitier flavour about the subject?

That's a sensible and understandable view, and has merit.

My personal view is that it's maybe neither necessary nor wise... we're all adults, and as such ought to be able to handle/respect a variety of attitudes and expression thereof - toward which I'm sure that my witterings are of more help than harm.

@chigwell2010

> Keep your travels up Gulliver, I appreciate your dark humour and find your humour refreshing from the dark corners that pervade this forum. If anyone is unhappy with your words then they simply have to stop reading them.

My genuine thanks for the encouragement, and if I've helped someone smile then I'm happy.
I agree with the view of 'don't like, then don't read'.

And (for comments that weren't directed toward me, I feel it'd be impolite to not answer)...

@Bollinge

> I think a bit of levity for what some is a grim situation is good. Laughter is the best medicine.

@grahamt...

> Laughter may well be the best medicine, but it's presumptuous to apply that to everyone - some may be dealing with a level of shock at what life has just thrown at them. I might suggest having a quick look at other posts to see not everyone responds to cancer and unpredictable outcomes in quite the same way.

I don't think John (Bollinge) is applying that to everyone, and even if he is it's not a bad thing... and is a good suggestion.

We're all dealing with shock and 'unpredictable outcome' (will this kill me, and how quickly?) [to which my view on my personal situation is 'yes' and 'sooner than I initially considered'].

@Rich12

> If you don't like it don't follow the thread.

Sensible stuff, with which I agree.

And finally... right now, in being very tired, I feel I probably don't have a lot more to add to either this thread or the forum... although I might inject some further inanity at a later point - duly wrapped in a 'this is my experience of RT/chemo/etcetera', with a genuine intent of helping someone better understand or deal with something about which they're wondering.

So, my thanks to those who've helped me - I'm grateful for the help and warmth I've received, and wish everyone well.

What's just crossed my mind is a scene from the 'Dr Strangelove' movie, where Kong is riding the bomb: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ueuauKKjPZI

Tomorrow, I may make some sticky-tape labels, so that when I'm next at Sainsburys I can change those 'nine items or less' checkout signs to 'nine months or less'. Yeah, maybe.

User
Posted 08 Jul 2018 at 07:56
Anyone know where I can get spud gun?
User
Posted 08 Jul 2018 at 08:43

I could give you the design and build instructions for a potato cannon...  Not sure about the legality of the things, but everyone needs one!

User
Posted 08 Jul 2018 at 11:33

At risk of digging a deeper hole for myself... 

While not able to assist with spud guns, I've heard that the item below is quite effective at removing all traces of Pca...

https://www.americamagazine.org/sites/default/files/main_image/Koreas%20Tension%20The%20Yo_McKi.jpg

Of course, please read the instructions, and remember that results may vary.

Edited by member 08 Jul 2018 at 11:35  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 27 Aug 2018 at 18:15
I came looking for anything, anything at all, that would help me to understand and cope with my husband’s diagnosis 3 days ago.

Thanks for making me smile, and in turn my husband too when I read out the posts in this thread.

As we try to come to terms with this shocking news, the humour here injected much needed smiles and giggles thus helping us to bring back some perspective.

Aside. My brothers both had spud guns but I always coveted the little cannon that fired used matches!

User
Posted 27 Aug 2018 at 18:37

@Sinic...

Thank you.

If I can help cheer others, I'm happy.

Early days are often (and rightly!) worry-filled.

And subsequent times... well, what can and might happen can get 'pretty bl**dy grim'.

So then... best not to think about it? Perhaps.

My own view is 'be aware of fact, try to look on the bright side - things could always be worse (even when we think they can't)'.

My best hopes and wishes to you and your partner/family.

There's a lot of people here who've been through stuff you wouldn't wish on your worst enemy. And, to help others, they're happy to share their knowledge and experience.

Me, I can only crack a joke-or-two (other posts of mine are similarly irreverent) in hope of temporarily lightening someone's mood.

Unless an airplane engine falls on my head, or 'doughnut overdose' gets me first... my own Pca will almost certainly kill me - I just don't know when. So, meantime, I'm getting on with what's left of my life and genuinely enjoying things. (And, as part of 'putting my stuff in order, I've done a lot of tidying-and-labelling recently.)

Edited by member 27 Aug 2018 at 18:38  | Reason: Untempered enthusiasm led me to post without first reading-through.

User
Posted 27 Aug 2018 at 18:49

(And, as part of 'putting my stuff in order, I've done a lot of tidying-and-labelling recently.)

Yep, he’s started that already! Shredding old documents is strangely satisfying :-D

User
Posted 27 Aug 2018 at 23:38
Hi Gulliver,

it's the first time I have read your thread and you made me laugh... thank you.

Clare

User
Posted 28 Aug 2018 at 09:32
Hey Gulliver!!,

Keep on posting, you make me smile! :-))

Shine on you crazy diamond!!

Saludos!!

User
Posted 29 Aug 2018 at 08:31

@Claret and @Pablito...

My genuine thanks to you for such kindness.
I'm warmed, humbled, and encouraged.