I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Shocked and unable to Share !

User
Posted 12 Jul 2018 at 18:51

My husband was a fit and healthy man at 65, he always has regular annual health checks, and this year added the prostrate check to his list, only because his wee flow had slowed. Never for one moment did we think on Tuesday we would recieve a prostate cancer diagnosis, following a MRI scan. 

We are shocked and unable to share with our family at the moment as our daughter is getting married in a weeks time. I know everyone would be supportive, but just feel it’s their day.

On Saturday he is having a biopsy - can anyone tell me how they  were after this operation, just concerned he has a week to recover before giving the bride away. 

Many thanks 

User
Posted 12 Jul 2018 at 19:54
The biopsy won't affect the wedding - my husband had his on the way to work one morning. It depends a little bit on what kind of biopsy they are doing - is he having a normal one or are they giving him a general anaesthetic and template biopsy?
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 12 Jul 2018 at 20:06

HI

I had a TRUS biopsy and it didn't cause me any problems at all. If he is having the same type then he should be able to walk away afterwards with no problem.

Wishing you all the best and hope that the wedding day is an enjoyable day for you all.

Kevan 

User
Posted 12 Jul 2018 at 20:07
If it helps you understand, I had a template biopsy under general anaesthetic. I was admitted at 8AM, had my procedure at 09:45, came round in recovery I think about 11:30AM. I had to pee a certain amount, which was easy for me. due to all the tea, coffee and water i kept getting presented with! I went home at 1:45PM. I just was not allowed to drive for a few days

Next day I went on a 120 miles trip (wife driving) to visit my daughter and my grandchild.

But I have to say, this was a perfect example. I must point out other circumstances to you;

If you cannot pee for any reason you will have to stay in, with possibility of a catheter if you still cant go.

Also some people can have an unexpected reaction to a general

Don't expect instant answers to the biopsy, in my case, it took 2 weeks till I got Oncologist appt and results.

User
Posted 12 Jul 2018 at 20:13

He is having a general anaesthetic not sure what sort of biopsy. I wasn’t with him when he saw the consultant, thought their was no problems.

Thank you for the reassurance and I wish you husband well

User
Posted 12 Jul 2018 at 20:14

Thank you - I wish you well.

User
Posted 12 Jul 2018 at 20:18

Thanks for the information, it was really helpful to know it’s normally straightforward, fingers crossed. 

The consultant did say they may give ultrasound treatment at the same time. 

I wish you all the best and a successful recovery 

User
Posted 12 Jul 2018 at 22:03
They do not give General Anaesthetic for TRUS biopsy, so it must be the Trans Perenial Template biopsy.

This method is far superior and more accurate. In my case I had 32 biopsy samples taken

All the best

Alan Bennett

User
Posted 13 Jul 2018 at 11:31

Hi, It's surprising what you can get away with if necessary.  If it's a template biopsy he should be OK a week later although I wouldn't go drinking a lot of alcohol or do anything to stress that area.  Like holding on when you want to go.

I've had the prostatectomy operation and have only told 2 people. I was in hospital 58hrs.   For a few weeks I was very cagey about protecting my wounds, and my wife drove.   If he's currently fit he could go for years with no signs even with a bad case and with a good case no-one need ever know. It can depend on personality as well, you do what suits. All the best. Peter

User
Posted 19 Jul 2018 at 19:24

Hi there, I am in a similar situation today, my husband has just been diagnosed and its looking really bad, he is 63 and really fit and well. My stepdaughter is currently battling breast cancer so we don't really want to tell anyone else.

Feeling quite lost at the moment.