Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

cyberknife and outcomes

User
Posted 13 Jul 2018 at 15:06

Hi all,

I am seeing a consultant re Cyberknife on 17th July. I have locally advanced T2 PC. There are many reasons I am going for this treatment and luckily my family members are supporting with the cost. Although it's cutting edge has anyone had this done some time ago and how are you getting on ?

User
Posted 13 Jul 2018 at 16:45

Hi Dai,

When you say “locally advanced”, your profile says you are stage T1/T2, G 3+4=7, which I believe means your tumour is contained within the prostate capsule, and not advancing anywhere else in a hurry.

CyberKnife is classed by the UK medical establishment as an “unproven” treatment, i.e. there have not been long-term tests as to its efficacy, that’s why as far as I know you can’t get it on the NHS. I think they have conducted such tests which I believe were “inconclusive”.

And more pertinently, does radio-therapy via CyberKnife preclude subsequent surgery if not completely successful, as is often the case with conventional RT?

Others will chip in.

Whatever your choice of treatment, I wish you well.

Cheers, John

Edited by member 13 Jul 2018 at 16:51  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 13 Jul 2018 at 19:09

Hi John,

I will raise the point you mentioned when I see my Urology Consultant. In our initial meeting he did not raise any areas of concern re using Cyberknife - and he does lots of public speaking re Prostate issues.

I am incredibly thankful my cancer was diagnosed so quickly - and every health professional and Prostate Cancer UK I have seen, emailed or just spoken to on the phone has been excellent.

I will keep you updated. On a personal level I am supporting my daughter to help care for her mother who was badly injured in  an RTA 7 months ago.. As a family we are still reeling from this life changing event- but fortunately she survived.

Yours

Graham

User
Posted 14 Jul 2018 at 01:44
You might find this of interest. The Royal Marsden say they will treat suitable menwith cyberknife privately and within the NHS. Interesting that they are talking about reducing the number of fractions for PCa down to 5. https://www.royalmarsden.nhs.uk/your-care/treatments/radiotherapy/cyberknife
Barry