I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Lynch Syndrome Findings

User
Posted 30 Jul 2018 at 14:50

Those who attended the B2PCA shindig near Leicester last month will recall Prof Julian Harwell mentioning this genetic condition.  I have just received results of my own testing using a bit of bladder cancer tumour taken from me way back.  I wanted to pursue the genetic aspect because both my late younger brother and I have had both bladder and prostate cancer and a cousin also has low grade PCa. Coupled with that my dear old Mum dead these 24 years had bowel polyps and thus a colostomy some 25 years before that.  The spectrum of cancers included in Lynch syndrome includes colorectal cancer and cancers of the urinary system, kidney and ureters, together with an increased risk of bowel polyps.

In my own case, testing for the mismatch repair proteins associated with Lynch was negative. The negative result suggests that the polyps and urinary cancers are "sporadic or caused by a weaker genetic component that we currently do not fully understand.  This negative result does rule out a high risk cancer condition so is reassuring at this time"

I agree!  I had earlier been advised by the Genetic Counsellor based on an analysis of my family tree and medical histories  that the risk of my son inheriting PCa was less than ,0.7%. I mentioned to the B2PCA gathering that I was reassured by that as I had naively supposed the risk to be pretty high.

The advice I have been given is that for my son, who is 40 this year, annual PSA testing should begin this year..

I thought the community would be interested in this minor exploration of NHS genetic testing!

AC

User
Posted 30 Jul 2018 at 15:32

Very interesting read AC. 

I was told my three sons should start getting PSA tests at age 40 too. My eldest is 31 so a few years to go before he gets PSA checked.

I hope all is going as well as it can with you at the moment.

Ido4

Edited by member 30 Jul 2018 at 15:34  | Reason: update

Ido4

User
Posted 30 Jul 2018 at 16:32
Hi AC

I have 3 sons and was also told by Tony's oncologist that they should be tested from age 40, however when the first one to reach 40 went to the drs to ask for one he had to really insist before they would do it, said he did not need it with no symptoms or until he was 50, they did finally agree to it but it has now put off the others from getting it done.

regards barbara