Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error
<12

A load of symptoms and worried!

User
Posted 07 Sep 2018 at 11:27

Thanks Richard -  I think I will! I appreciate you reading and responding...means a lot.

Mark

User
Posted 07 Sep 2018 at 11:29
Mark, you're NOT alone. We've all been there, and we know how horrible it is waiting for results. Try to do something mindless to occupy yourself with - clean out a cupboard or paint the garden fence or something like that. Try not to make assumptions about whether you'll get either good news or bad news tomorrow. What will be, will be, and there's nothing you can do to change it.

Write down the list of questions you want to ask the urologist tomorrow, and take that list of questions with you into the meeting. I remember that as soon as he said "you've got cancer" to me, I basically blanked out and everything after that was a blur, which is not the ideal way to do it.

Finally, remember that if it turns out that you do have cancer, it's not the end of the world, and it's not a death sentence. I was told in my meeting that I had not one but two different cancers, and three months later one's been fixed, one's well on the way to being fixed, and I'm enjoying life again.

You may think "I can't get through this", but you will. Just take it a day at a time and remember you're not alone. We're all here to support you, as are the PC-UK nurses.

I wish you the very best of luck for tomorrow,

Chris
User
Posted 07 Sep 2018 at 15:24

Thank-you Chris - that is really helpful to know and I appreciate there are those who have been, and go through this, every day but it seems such a daunting prospect. Will do my best although I suspect sleep will be difficult tonight...

User
Posted 07 Sep 2018 at 18:49

Does your Prof. in Surrey’s surname begin with E?

User
Posted 07 Sep 2018 at 19:04
Did you ring the nurses, Mark?
User
Posted 07 Sep 2018 at 20:57

Hi Chris, yes I did and she was very understanding and it was good to get a friendly ear to listen to my neurosis!

hi Bollinge. Yes surname begins with E. A bit like the project in Cornwall!

User
Posted 08 Sep 2018 at 05:42

Absolutely top man. You are in fantastic hands!

Best of luck.

Cheers, John

User
Posted 08 Sep 2018 at 14:09

Well that was an interesting meeting with the Prof E. PSA is 0.7, CT scan clear, kidneys normal and the mpMRI does show something but he thinks it is Prostatitis and may well calm down over time. He suggested another MRI in 3 months and said if it was him he would not be having a biopsy right now. Not sure how to feel really as it seems good news but not really definitive and symptoms still there and very annoying. On antibiotics again!

i am thinking the low PSA and normal scans coupled with symptoms makes prostatitis more likely but I still have that nagging doubt. No idea why as he didn’t seem concerned and he must have seen hundreds of men by now!

User
Posted 08 Sep 2018 at 15:16

f****** happy days Mark, you hypochondriac!

The Prof has done 3000 + prostatectomies, let alone thousands more consultations with worried wimps like you, so take the good news from him as gospel until you hear to the contrary.

Couldn’t be more pleased for you!

Keep on top of it anyway, annual PSA checks from now on.

If and when you do see him again, do tell him he still owes me 2”!

Best of luck.

Cheers, John.

Edited by member 08 Sep 2018 at 17:04  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 08 Sep 2018 at 18:39

Thanks John. He did say I have a pirads score of 3 but if it was him he wouldn’t biopsy and simply run another MRI in 3 months so I am taking that as a victory and try to control the hypochondria!!

once again thanks for the kind words all and I will be on here to hopefully help others where I can. Already warming up for Movember :-)

User
Posted 08 Sep 2018 at 23:39

Pleased you took my comments in good part just as they were intended. I mentioned what I had written to the Mrs and she said “you can’t write that!”

I have my full MRI results including the DVD (which I haven’t bothered to watch), but I can’t find any PIRADS figure, and don’t know why. All academic now as it confirmed my cancer anyway.

MRI after PIRADS 3 reading

Edited by member 09 Sep 2018 at 08:09  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 10 Sep 2018 at 19:16

Well Pirads 3 means there is ‘something’ but it could be prostatitis or PCa, they just can’t tell! So I am hopeful that the low PSA and abdominal CT scan is more ‘good’ than ‘bad’ and forgetting about the next 3 months until next expensive chat with the Prof!

User
Posted 10 Sep 2018 at 19:35

I paid him £250 for 20 minutes at his posh consulting rooms in the Shard skyscraper, but it saved me £19,950 when he said he could do me on the NHS at Guildford.

I hope you won’t have to be involved in any of that malarkey!

Cheers, John

User
Posted 14 Sep 2018 at 10:58

I did the Shard for the first appointment - didn't like it there at all...felt like a job interview and a bit impersonal. Much prefer the 'shires when it comes to seeing consultants. Next MRI in December so I am hoping the pirads will be 3 or less and I can relax a little more. Not sure why I get so anxious! I think I am just very bad with uncertainty...have to work on that...

User
Posted 15 Feb 2019 at 16:42

Hi - its been a while for me to post but just about to have a significant meeting I think! 6 months after my first DRE I have had 2 M mpMRIs, a CT scan and a cytoscopy (that was fun). As I am still having prostatitis-like symptoms my Urologist suggested either waiting another 6 months or have a fusion biopsy. I chose the biopsy as it is pretty uncomfortable and I wanted to know either way!

mpMRI was PI RADS 3 first time

mpMRI was PI RADS 2 approximately 3 months later.

Abdomen CT scan (with dye) clear

PSA 0.75 and Cystoscopy showed nothing.

Had the fusion biopsy two weeks ago and get to see the Prof tomorrow afternoon - now the panic is starting to set in!

As I have discomfort in my pelvis, reduced flow etc the Prof thinks chronic non-bacterial prostatitis but he is looking for malignancy.

Not sure why I am posting other than I am very nervous about the results, would like to think he would have contacted me sooner if serious (the results were back a week ago), but the 3am devil is gnawing away at me...

Words of wisdom appreciated of course!

Cheers