I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

How long for MRI results

User
Posted 20 Aug 2018 at 18:28

Hey, I’m new here http://community.prostatecanceruk.org/Scripts/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-smile.gif 

my dad is 77 years old, he has an enlarged prostate. PSA went from 6.9 - 9.01 in 3 or 4 years. DRE - normal but enlarged. Dr sent him for an Mri to see if he needs to do a biopsy. 

Does anyone know if results that show cancer come back more quickly than non cancerous results?

how long did yours take to come back etc? 

User
Posted 20 Aug 2018 at 20:04

Firstly, an MRI won't confirm cancer or otherwise, but will indicate if they think biopsies will be necessary (which will confirm it or otherwise). So speed isn't a clue! It's a very low PSA.

I think mine took a couple of weeks to come back, which gave time for the whole team to review the photo before deciding if these biopsies are even necessary.

Don't let your imagination rush ahead, prostate cancer is very slow growing, and certainly at the early stages the diagnosis is a steady progression of stepwise investigations, we might like to get a quick diagnosis, but it does take quite some time.

I'd expect a couple of weeks for the MRI to come back, then another couple of weeks or so until the biopsies are carried out (if at all), then another couple of weeks until the results get to you. They phoned me at this stage and invited me back in a week's time to discuss what we were going to do about it.

So you should be thinking of having a treatment plan something like mid October'ish. Other areas might be quicker or slower.

User
Posted 20 Aug 2018 at 21:07

Danin, your dad is at an age where the majority of men have prostate cancer, although most will never realise it. His PSA is pretty low, and there's every reason to suppose that even if he does have prostate cancer (and at 77 the odds are that he does) it's not likely to be anything too dramatic. I won't say "don't worry", because obviously you can't help worrying, but this is something that is very, very common and very treatable.

Edited by member 20 Aug 2018 at 21:09  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 20 Aug 2018 at 21:10
Calm down dear!

Most men of your dad’s age have enlarged prostates. Let’s hope his MRI shows he has nothing to worry about.

Cheers, John
User
Posted 21 Aug 2018 at 08:13

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member

Thank you 😊 it’s been three weeks from the mri was done. I was calm until today and now as you say my imagination is running wild!! I need to try and calm down! Where are you now on your journey with PC?

It's quite normal to let our imaginations run wild, particularly at 3 am! Remember  that as long as its detected early PC isnt a cancer that runs wild eating away at your body, it's very slow and there are many successful ways of treating or controlling it. My radiotherapist mentioned to me that all men would get it if they didnt die of old age first.

Mine was accidentally detected before last Xmas, and I went through all the sequential stages, MRI, biopsies, treatment options and decisions, then treatment.

I.had hormone treatment for 3 months, then 20 sessions of radiotherapy. RT ended 5 months ago, and now waiting for another month to pass before another PSA test proves that I'm mended.

Essentially, its something we try to come to terms with, and try to forget about it, its a new aspect to our lives. As time goes on, you'll bump into many men who say something like "ive had it for 10 or 15 years, and apart from the occasional PSA check, Its of no consequence.

Good luck

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 20 Aug 2018 at 20:04

Firstly, an MRI won't confirm cancer or otherwise, but will indicate if they think biopsies will be necessary (which will confirm it or otherwise). So speed isn't a clue! It's a very low PSA.

I think mine took a couple of weeks to come back, which gave time for the whole team to review the photo before deciding if these biopsies are even necessary.

Don't let your imagination rush ahead, prostate cancer is very slow growing, and certainly at the early stages the diagnosis is a steady progression of stepwise investigations, we might like to get a quick diagnosis, but it does take quite some time.

I'd expect a couple of weeks for the MRI to come back, then another couple of weeks or so until the biopsies are carried out (if at all), then another couple of weeks until the results get to you. They phoned me at this stage and invited me back in a week's time to discuss what we were going to do about it.

So you should be thinking of having a treatment plan something like mid October'ish. Other areas might be quicker or slower.

User
Posted 20 Aug 2018 at 20:52

Thank you 😊 it’s been three weeks from the mri was done. I was calm until today and now as you say my imagination is running wild!! I need to try and calm down! Where are you now on your journey with PC?

User
Posted 20 Aug 2018 at 21:07

Danin, your dad is at an age where the majority of men have prostate cancer, although most will never realise it. His PSA is pretty low, and there's every reason to suppose that even if he does have prostate cancer (and at 77 the odds are that he does) it's not likely to be anything too dramatic. I won't say "don't worry", because obviously you can't help worrying, but this is something that is very, very common and very treatable.

Edited by member 20 Aug 2018 at 21:09  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 20 Aug 2018 at 21:10
Calm down dear!

Most men of your dad’s age have enlarged prostates. Let’s hope his MRI shows he has nothing to worry about.

Cheers, John
User
Posted 20 Aug 2018 at 21:13

Thank you so much, I appreciate it x

User
Posted 21 Aug 2018 at 08:13

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member

It's quite normal to let our imaginations run wild, particularly at 3 am! Remember  that as long as its detected early PC isnt a cancer that runs wild eating away at your body, it's very slow and there are many successful ways of treating or controlling it. My radiotherapist mentioned to me that all men would get it if they didnt die of old age first.

Mine was accidentally detected before last Xmas, and I went through all the sequential stages, MRI, biopsies, treatment options and decisions, then treatment.

I.had hormone treatment for 3 months, then 20 sessions of radiotherapy. RT ended 5 months ago, and now waiting for another month to pass before another PSA test proves that I'm mended.

Essentially, its something we try to come to terms with, and try to forget about it, its a new aspect to our lives. As time goes on, you'll bump into many men who say something like "ive had it for 10 or 15 years, and apart from the occasional PSA check, Its of no consequence.

Good luck