Show search

Notification

Error

Advice appreciated 12

User
Posted 27 Oct 2018 at 21:26

Hi,

Any advice/support appreciated.

My husband is my rock and has helped me through all sorts of situations, I love him dearly.

I'm extremely worried about him having a PSA of 130. He's been referred to the hospital urgently. Has no symptoms and go didn't comment on DRE.

I know pc can be positive but I am so upset about such a high PSA and what that means.

Trying to be strong for him but anxiety is so bad 

User
Posted 28 Oct 2018 at 00:55
Hi, download the toolkit from the website or call the nurses at the number above and they will send a copy through the post. It will help you to understand all the tests that will be done and make sense of the treatment options that might be available.

With a PSA of 130 it is likely to be cancer but nothing is certain until the tests are done and, strangely, although the number can indicate a likelihood of cancer it does not indicate how bad it might be so don’t overthink it at this early stage. The highest PSA we have had on here was 13,000 but my husband’s urologist once had a patient with a score of 160,000

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 28 Oct 2018 at 01:19
Hi Gemma,

Sorry you join us due to your concern that your husband may have PCa. Your GP was right to refer him to urology because apart from the DRE which was not commented on a PSA of 130 means a high chance of PCa possibly but not necessarily advanced.

I would suggest that your husband learn as much as he can about his situation. He could have asked his GP whaat he thought about his DRE for example. Hubby shouldn't be afraid to ask questions of his consultants and it can be helpful to have somebody accompany him at appointments, particularly when all tests and scans have been done and he is given a diagnosis (assuming it is PCa).

Treatment options can depend on how far PCa is advanced and other factors. Naturally, if PCa is found at an early stage there is a better chance of radical treatment being successful but there are systemic restraining treatments where cancer is more advanced so hubby is still likely to be with you for a long time.

It is now more generally thought best to have a MRI first rather than biopsy first and then MRI but some hospitals still offer the biopsy first and if this is proposed he could strongly argue for the MRI first. A template biopsy is more involved than a TRUS but is more accurate and less likely to cause an infection. If PCa is diagnosed, hubby will be offered treatment options after his case has been discussed by a MDT (Multi Disciplinary Team.). I suggest you download or obtain a hard copy of the 'Toolkit' from the publications dept of this Charity. It provides a lot of helpful information about the disease and possible treatments so when the time comes hubby is better able to grasp the options available to him ,together with pros and cons of these treatments as a treatment decision may be left to him.

Barry
User
Posted 28 Oct 2018 at 08:01

I know how you feel Gemma, it is the waiting for all the various results that's the worst. Once you know what you are dealing with you can focus on the road ahead. My husband has only just been diagnosed so we are only just learning about everything ourselves but I agree that this is definitely the place to come to for info. Try not to Google everything as it just scares you silly.

Good luck

Lou

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 28 Oct 2018 at 00:55
Hi, download the toolkit from the website or call the nurses at the number above and they will send a copy through the post. It will help you to understand all the tests that will be done and make sense of the treatment options that might be available.

With a PSA of 130 it is likely to be cancer but nothing is certain until the tests are done and, strangely, although the number can indicate a likelihood of cancer it does not indicate how bad it might be so don’t overthink it at this early stage. The highest PSA we have had on here was 13,000 but my husband’s urologist once had a patient with a score of 160,000

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 28 Oct 2018 at 01:19
Hi Gemma,

Sorry you join us due to your concern that your husband may have PCa. Your GP was right to refer him to urology because apart from the DRE which was not commented on a PSA of 130 means a high chance of PCa possibly but not necessarily advanced.

I would suggest that your husband learn as much as he can about his situation. He could have asked his GP whaat he thought about his DRE for example. Hubby shouldn't be afraid to ask questions of his consultants and it can be helpful to have somebody accompany him at appointments, particularly when all tests and scans have been done and he is given a diagnosis (assuming it is PCa).

Treatment options can depend on how far PCa is advanced and other factors. Naturally, if PCa is found at an early stage there is a better chance of radical treatment being successful but there are systemic restraining treatments where cancer is more advanced so hubby is still likely to be with you for a long time.

It is now more generally thought best to have a MRI first rather than biopsy first and then MRI but some hospitals still offer the biopsy first and if this is proposed he could strongly argue for the MRI first. A template biopsy is more involved than a TRUS but is more accurate and less likely to cause an infection. If PCa is diagnosed, hubby will be offered treatment options after his case has been discussed by a MDT (Multi Disciplinary Team.). I suggest you download or obtain a hard copy of the 'Toolkit' from the publications dept of this Charity. It provides a lot of helpful information about the disease and possible treatments so when the time comes hubby is better able to grasp the options available to him ,together with pros and cons of these treatments as a treatment decision may be left to him.

Barry
User
Posted 28 Oct 2018 at 07:39
Thanks for your replies.

If ok I'll stay in touch as it helps to focus on here rather than depressing stats from Google.

Seems so strange cos he seems no different at all

User
Posted 28 Oct 2018 at 08:01

I know how you feel Gemma, it is the waiting for all the various results that's the worst. Once you know what you are dealing with you can focus on the road ahead. My husband has only just been diagnosed so we are only just learning about everything ourselves but I agree that this is definitely the place to come to for info. Try not to Google everything as it just scares you silly.

Good luck

Lou

User
Posted 28 Oct 2018 at 09:07
Thank you

Hope your husband is ok

Such kind people on here