I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Where did you get your tool Kit

User
Posted 24 Nov 2018 at 19:27

I see on a lot of posts members recomending people that have just been diagnosed to either download or apply to this site for a tool Kit.

Was I just lucky that after my diagnosis my wife I were taken to a quiet room by a very nice McMillan nurse who explained what the diagnosis and the different treatments meant and then gave us the tool Kit to take home with us.

i assumed that this was the procedure in all hospital. 

Bob

Edited by member 25 Nov 2018 at 14:06  | Reason: spelling

User
Posted 24 Nov 2018 at 23:01

The 'Tool Kit' recommended by members on this site is the one produced by this Charity (Prostate Cancer UK) which can be downloaded or a hard copy is available for free from the publications section of the main part of this charity. https://prostatecanceruk.org/prostate-information/our-publications/publications/tool-kit

I can't remember a member saying he was given this particular publication at a hospital. The Royal Marsden did give me a different publication when I was first diagnosed but that was in 2007 and may well have been updated in the interim.

Edited by member 24 Nov 2018 at 23:05  | Reason: Not specified

Barry
User
Posted 24 Nov 2018 at 23:40
Hi Bobk, yes same as you, John was given the toolkit at his diagnosis appointment - he was also advised to join this forum for support. Our urologist used to be a member although I don't think he is these days :-)

Most hospitals don't seem to hand it out though so people often find out about it too late, after they have already made their treatment choice.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 25 Nov 2018 at 02:47
The hard copy folder ‘Toolkit’ is such a comprehensive source of information I think it should be standard issue to all men when they go to their ‘Dear John’ diagnosis consultation, rather than some barely-legible, poorly-photocopied leaflets that the hospital itself has printed out.

If I had not happened upon this website I would never have heard of it.

I gave a copy to my GP last week. He had never heard of it before either!!!!

Maybe the NHS could pay PC UK for copies, as it’s a substantial publication which cannot be cheap to produce.

Cheers, John.

User
Posted 12 Dec 2018 at 17:02
Have just had my toolkit out again and have noticed on the folder that it came in that it was produced by Cotswold Prostate Cancer Support Group which hold meeting a building close to Cheltenham Hospital so I can only assume that the provide them to the Doctors/Nurses to hand out on diagnosis.

Bob

User
Posted 14 Dec 2018 at 03:44

Is it in a blue folder with several A4 booklets inside? If not it might just be a locally produced one, in which case I would recommend ordering the one here as well, as it is very comprehensive.

Cheers, John.

User
Posted 14 Dec 2018 at 08:08

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member

Is it in a blue folder with several A4 booklets inside? If not it might just be a locally produced one, in which case I would recommend ordering the one here as well, as it is very comprehensive.

Cheers, John.

hi john  

yes it has all the booklets including the McMillan book  

User
Posted 14 Dec 2018 at 14:53

Received my Toolkit yesterday. Ordered straight from this site free of charge most helpful arrived in 3 days.