Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

dosetaxol

User
Posted 07 Dec 2018 at 14:44

Hi

When Tony started chemo he was told no alcohol except special occasions and the just one glass of wine, today when he had his 3rd chemo session he asked about this and was told as long as after each alcoholic drink he has a glass of water it is ok. Has anyone else been told this or has he made it up so I would let him drink more. lol

Barbara

User
Posted 07 Dec 2018 at 16:38

Hi Barbara my husband has 6 sessions of docetaxal this year, he was told not to drink for 48 hours after chemo, but ok after that.
Hope that helps
Karen

User
Posted 07 Dec 2018 at 16:40
I'd guess that his kidney issues promoted the original advice. I don't see why the chemo would make any difference either way. Anyway, if in doubt, moderate! The "take with water" advice is presumably to minimise the shock to his kidneys...

Cheers

AC

User
Posted 08 Dec 2018 at 07:54
Hy Barbara my oncologist told me it's probably not a good idea to add another poison to your blood .Any way I tried my favourite stout .It tasted awful.chemo wrecked my tastebuds for quite a while .Good luck in all you do.Geoff
User
Posted 08 Dec 2018 at 17:06
Interesting to see the bit about alcohol in Docetaxel. I specifically asked about that as I had problems with alcohol and haven’t touched it for nearly twenty years. My doc told me she had never been asked that question before and that I didn’t have to worry because there wasn’t any. I completed chemotherapy nearly two years ago and never ended up falling off the wagon so I wouldn’t think there’s enough to react to having a drink. I have just googled it and the answer is yes there is, no there isn’t!!!

Dave

User
Posted 08 Dec 2018 at 19:49
Barbara, there is definitely alcohol in docetaxel. Personally, I never noticed the slightest effect on infusion days and I believe I would have done because one of the effects of docetaxel was that I just didn't fancy booze, so my blood was clear of alcohol from my own efforts through the six cycles! I think the amount must be trivial but nursing staff feel the need to cover themselves in case the patient is hypersensitive. The effect would only be on the day of the infusion and at the rate you describe Tony drinking, he would sleep it off and be fine the next day, IMHO!

AC

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 07 Dec 2018 at 15:50
Sure he wouldn't do that!!
User
Posted 07 Dec 2018 at 15:51
not too sure about that. xx

User
Posted 07 Dec 2018 at 16:38

Hi Barbara my husband has 6 sessions of docetaxal this year, he was told not to drink for 48 hours after chemo, but ok after that.
Hope that helps
Karen

User
Posted 07 Dec 2018 at 16:40
I'd guess that his kidney issues promoted the original advice. I don't see why the chemo would make any difference either way. Anyway, if in doubt, moderate! The "take with water" advice is presumably to minimise the shock to his kidneys...

Cheers

AC

User
Posted 07 Dec 2018 at 18:04
Thanks Kazzy

that will make life easier over Christmas as we have the whole family coming over

Hi AC

i dont think it was because of his kidneys that he was told not to drink, the chemo nurse said it was because there is alcohol in the dosetaxol. I always make sure that if he is having a drink he drinks water as well because of his kidneys.he also is not meant to drink coke or most dark drinks because of his kidneys.

ps i wont tell him yet cause i have stopped having so much wine because he is not drinking and its helping me lose some weight. lol xx

User
Posted 08 Dec 2018 at 07:54
Hy Barbara my oncologist told me it's probably not a good idea to add another poison to your blood .Any way I tried my favourite stout .It tasted awful.chemo wrecked my tastebuds for quite a while .Good luck in all you do.Geoff
User
Posted 08 Dec 2018 at 17:06
Interesting to see the bit about alcohol in Docetaxel. I specifically asked about that as I had problems with alcohol and haven’t touched it for nearly twenty years. My doc told me she had never been asked that question before and that I didn’t have to worry because there wasn’t any. I completed chemotherapy nearly two years ago and never ended up falling off the wagon so I wouldn’t think there’s enough to react to having a drink. I have just googled it and the answer is yes there is, no there isn’t!!!

Dave

User
Posted 08 Dec 2018 at 19:49
Barbara, there is definitely alcohol in docetaxel. Personally, I never noticed the slightest effect on infusion days and I believe I would have done because one of the effects of docetaxel was that I just didn't fancy booze, so my blood was clear of alcohol from my own efforts through the six cycles! I think the amount must be trivial but nursing staff feel the need to cover themselves in case the patient is hypersensitive. The effect would only be on the day of the infusion and at the rate you describe Tony drinking, he would sleep it off and be fine the next day, IMHO!

AC

User
Posted 08 Dec 2018 at 21:33
AC

Tony is a lightweight really 2 beers and he is anyones. He hasn't had any real side effects, seems to get sore in the groin area a couple of days after infusion but no change in taste at all. He just likes a drop of wine now and then. I was really thinking of over Christmas as I have all the family down so 14 of us so was going to limit the amount of drink in the house so he didn't feel left out. next infusion on the 28th.

barbara