I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Should I be resting ?.

User
Posted 22 Dec 2018 at 09:17

hi all, new here -  so apologies if this question has already been posted...

i had da vinci procedure on Monday this week (5 days ago) -  discharged tuesday night. im just not sure whether i should be resting fully or pushing myself to be more mobile at this stage ?. any thoughts ?. The catheter limits activity to some extent ( and am i glad  i read about instillagel on this forum !) - but im curious as to how others managed their recovery ?.

User
Posted 23 Dec 2018 at 13:05
Thanks far far. 6 days post op and feeling tender !. The catheter causing me more grief than the op - bloody tender !. Trying not to strain on the loo is a challenge - now choosing what I eat carefully !. No walks outside the house yet, maybe work on that next week. Really appreciate the pointers from this forum.
User
Posted 24 Dec 2018 at 18:57

The only problem I had with the catheter was that it leaked all the time, I had it in for 3 weeks, I was told to help the healing of the new join of the urether, you must look after the surgeons hard work,

best wishes to you all

Paul

User
Posted 25 Dec 2018 at 05:54

I think you will know in yourself how well you feel, and I don’t think walking will do you any harm - I walked a lot, down the pub - Doctor’s orders: ‘Drink plenty of fluids’.

Yes, catheters - an instrument of mediaeval torture?

You’ll be glad to be rid of yours, my surgeon used a supra-pubic catheter where the pipe comes out above the penis and below the navel from a separate hole. Much more comfortable I think.

I briefly had a urethral catheter following my template biopsy - bloody horrible and p*****g razor blades afterwards.

Anyway, it will be gone soon, so Merry Christmas and good luck to you for the New Year!

Cheers, John.

Edited by member 25 Dec 2018 at 14:13  | Reason: Not specified

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 22 Dec 2018 at 09:30
Do as much in the way of gentle exercise as you feel able to, Mark, but do bear in mind that you’ve had major surgery, and it will take several months to physically recover from it. Your body will tell you when you’re over-doing things. I would definitely avoid trying to lift anything heavier than a bottle of milk for the next week or so - lifting is where the cut abdominal muscles will make themselves heard!

Best wishes for a rapid recovery,

Chris

User
Posted 22 Dec 2018 at 09:38
Thanks Chris, much appreciated.
User
Posted 22 Dec 2018 at 20:46

Take it slow. Don’t vegetate but no deadlifting your body weight. Remember you have internal stitiches too. Keep an eye on the external stitches as they often fail if made from superglue. I would suggest a steady ramp up with the aim of getting somewhere near normal over 6 - 8 weeks, maybe more. Even at that point no heavy lifting! Listen to your body!

Edited by member 22 Dec 2018 at 20:55  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 23 Dec 2018 at 12:23

Rest Rest, Just mild short walks at least for the first week, do not drive until your consultant says it is ok, I did not drive for 3 months, do not strain on the loo, do not lift anything heavy, I am over 2 years post OP now and all ok, these are a few things that I was told, some will say different,

regards

Paul

User
Posted 23 Dec 2018 at 13:05
Thanks far far. 6 days post op and feeling tender !. The catheter causing me more grief than the op - bloody tender !. Trying not to strain on the loo is a challenge - now choosing what I eat carefully !. No walks outside the house yet, maybe work on that next week. Really appreciate the pointers from this forum.
User
Posted 24 Dec 2018 at 18:57

The only problem I had with the catheter was that it leaked all the time, I had it in for 3 weeks, I was told to help the healing of the new join of the urether, you must look after the surgeons hard work,

best wishes to you all

Paul

User
Posted 24 Dec 2018 at 23:41

My wife drove me about and I walked round the shops with catheter after a few days.  Normally we walk miles.

When catheter out (30.12.16 after 14days  I think) built up walking 1mile, 2 miles etc. Spare pads needed enroute. Improves slowly to no pads. That central stomach wound needs care as does the sphincter.   Merry Christmas

User
Posted 25 Dec 2018 at 00:48
Thanks for the guidance Peter - a merry Christmas to you and your family too
User
Posted 25 Dec 2018 at 05:54

I think you will know in yourself how well you feel, and I don’t think walking will do you any harm - I walked a lot, down the pub - Doctor’s orders: ‘Drink plenty of fluids’.

Yes, catheters - an instrument of mediaeval torture?

You’ll be glad to be rid of yours, my surgeon used a supra-pubic catheter where the pipe comes out above the penis and below the navel from a separate hole. Much more comfortable I think.

I briefly had a urethral catheter following my template biopsy - bloody horrible and p*****g razor blades afterwards.

Anyway, it will be gone soon, so Merry Christmas and good luck to you for the New Year!

Cheers, John.

Edited by member 25 Dec 2018 at 14:13  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 27 Dec 2018 at 21:25

Hi Mark

I had the op 7 November, with the catheter out on the 20th.  I did a lot of napping and resting in the first couple of weeks, with walking being my main exercise.  My belly soon let me know if I had overdone it.  Listen to your body and rest lots.  By 5 weeks feeling very much better, almost normal, but advised not to ride a bike for 3 months.  

My bladder and bowel nurse gave me a great tip re - pooing.  When sitting on the loo, if you raise your feet onto a stool, your body is in a much more natural squatting position, which straightens the colon, and makes pooing much easier.  It really worked - much less straining.  and of course drink loads and loads - this not only keeps the catheter from blocking, but helps prevent constipation 

Wishing you all the best

Geoff

User
Posted 27 Dec 2018 at 21:28

One more thought - I was also sent home with Laxido sachets - laxatives.  I took one every night until for about the first three weeks as a precaution. Seemed to help

User
Posted 27 Dec 2018 at 22:22
Thank you Geoff, really appreciate the pointers. I'll try the stool for sure !
User
Posted 27 Dec 2018 at 23:12

Mark

As well as Geoff's tip about the stool, I found gently twisting from side to side helped get the motions moving, I stress the gently. Keeping moving in general also keeps  the whole waste disposal system working.

Thanks Chris