I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

18 months ADT after RT is the most effective?

User
Posted 01 Jan 2019 at 09:21

Trial results comparing 6 with 18 months ADT but also concludes 18 months is optimal compared with longer regines following curative intent RT.

http://prac.co/l/y7ty77mo

User
Posted 01 Jan 2019 at 11:11

Happy New Year to all.

Thanks for the link ,  interesting. So 18 months from end of RT is recommended. Thats roughly what i’m on , so fingers crossed it works. Biggest fear is obviously recurrence.

Hoping 2019 is a better year than 2018 ....

Good luck to all.

Phil

Edited by member 01 Jan 2019 at 11:13  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 01 Jan 2019 at 12:27
The really good news was in the stats about PC death, even with confirmed cases of relatively advanced localised PC (all were PSA greater than 10) way more guys still died of something else other than PC.
User
Posted 01 Jan 2019 at 15:44

Yes that’s good news for sure. The worry will always be there i suppose, but the more it can go the back of the mind the better 😊.

My consultant is so positive it is a bit infectious. I hope they are all like that.

Phil

User
Posted 01 Jan 2019 at 22:26
So why don’t they offer 18 months for salvage as opposed to the default six which I had??

User
Posted 01 Jan 2019 at 23:04
Different research projects come to different conclusions; partly affected by who is funding what. Research funded by the manufacturers of hormone treatments will be more likely to find that extending HT results in better outcomes; research funded by NICE / governments is more likely to find that a short stint is just as good as a long one.

In the last year, there have been results published that found

- 3 years is better than 18 months

- anything more than 6 months makes no difference to outcomes

- 18 months is optimum

- men don't necessarily need any HT at all if they have RT for low risk PCa

Do a quick poll of members here having radical RT/HT and you will find anything from 6 months to 3 years. Between members having adjuvant or salvage RT, it is anything from no hormones to 3 years.

All you can do is trust your onco who has your medical info and is making a judgment about what is optimum in your case.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 02 Jan 2019 at 12:14
Thanks Lynn
User
Posted 02 Jan 2019 at 13:54

Well im so glad i will only have been on HT for 2 years in total at the end as its still doing my head in 😱.

Please find something better for future patients...

Phil