Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Worried about cough

User
Posted 13 Jan 2019 at 23:55

Hello

It is 5 years since my husbands surgery and he has been well. His PSA was within normal range in November. For 5 weeks he has had a persistent cough that has not cleared with antibiotics and a chest x-ray last week revealed a shadow. Our GP is making an urgent referral for this to be investigated as he is concerned it could be cancer. Whether he means a new cancer or return of the prostate cancer we are not sure. Can the PSA be normal if prostate cancer has recurred?

Thanks B

User
Posted 14 Jan 2019 at 07:39
Hi there a bit more info may help others to respond. When you say his PSA was within normal range what was it

What was his histology following his RP

Thanks

Brian

User
Posted 14 Jan 2019 at 21:24

There can be spread with a low PSA but this is not usually the case and where it does happen it is more likely in men with less common forms of PCa. The particular treatment a man has will make a difference to what his range is whereas age is rather more determining for range in a non PCa patient.

Those of us with PCa naturally worry about certain symptoms could indicate spread and some of these need to be investigated.  A persistent cough may well not be PCa related but should be investigated regardless.

Edited by member 15 Jan 2019 at 00:12  | Reason: Not specified

Barry
User
Posted 15 Jan 2019 at 09:15

Hello Barry

The tumour was classed as T2c and involved one excision margin. PSA was less than 0.1 on 7th December.

Regards B

User
Posted 15 Jan 2019 at 12:03
Unfortunately, whatever scans or surgery may show there is a possibility that unseen micromets can exist and go on to establish elsewhere which can become evident in many years after treatment, so this should be remembered and men still monitored. This may well result in a man becoming over concerned about things that may well not be PCa related. The chest is not a frequent site for PCa especially if the cancer has not already established elsewhere. However, whether a man has PCa or not the general advice is that a persistent cough should be investigated because it can be a symptom of other problems My daughter has only recently been discharged from hospital where she spent 2 weeks with a severe chest infection, although in addition to a cough she had pain if breathing other than shallowly. .
Barry
User
Posted 15 Jan 2019 at 16:00
I have had a productive cough for three or four years, and despite numerous scans, x-rays, tests, etc., medical science is yet to find the cause.

I applied in response to a Facebook ad to go on a trial for unexplained coughing, but once they heard I had / have cancer, I was knocked back.

Don’t assume the worst.

Cheers, John.