Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Treatment after Abiraterone?

User
Posted 31 Jan 2019 at 22:37

Hello

In November 2016 my dad who is 74 years old was diagnosed with Prostate Cancer Gleeson 9.   It has spread into his chest.  The dad is an active man and has no other health problems.  

He started hormone therapy and then a course of chemotherapy - 6 sessions.  My dad has continued on his hormone therapy since diagnosis and then approximately 5 months ago his PSA started to rise and he was prescribed Abiraterone.  He has been on this treatment for 3 months and his PSA has continued to rise slightly.   It is currently 27.

If his PSA continues to rise at his next consultant meeting, I believe he will recommend stopping the treatment.  Has anyone experienced using abiraterone not working for them?  What other treatment options are available after this treatment?

Many thanks 

User
Posted 01 Feb 2019 at 01:48
When you say it has spread into his chest, do you mean his ribs, his lungs or something else?

If ribs, they might try 6 sessions of Radium 223. Some oncos keep their patient on abiraterone for as long as possible, even when it appears to have stopped working. He is unlikely to get enzalutimide once abiraterone fails. Depending on where you live, there may be trials that dad can be referred to if he meets the criteria?

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 01 Feb 2019 at 16:14
Thank you LynEyre. Sorry I should have stated it has spread to his bones/ribs. The consultant has mentioned on a few occasions radiotherapy but he has been vague. However my dads chest pain is alot better than previously so he might be waiting for when he really needs it, I am guessing. We live in Birmingham so he attend the QE hospital. My dad has his next consultant appointment in 2 weeks so I guess we will know more then. My dad is a very positive person but we try and prepare him for any possible bad news, if we can.
User
Posted 01 Feb 2019 at 16:32
Orhid46, don't be despondent, there are a few treatment options available. First, docetaxel can be repeated. Second, it could be preceded with another form of chemotherapy: cabazitaxel. Third, we are close to a decision on immunotherapy approval with Keytruda. However, if the PCa is in his bones still, as others have said, Xofigo is available and very effective.

Good luck

AC

User
Posted 01 Feb 2019 at 16:42

Thank you Auld Codger.  That really is positive and great to read.  I now need to do some research on these treatments! 

I really appreciate everyone taking the time to respond to my message.  Thank you.  Xx