I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Cancer Free PSA level

User
Posted 01 Feb 2019 at 17:19

Can anyone tell me the PSA level which is required, before I am considered to be "Cancer Free"  ?

Thanks in anticipation

Tony

User
Posted 01 Feb 2019 at 21:35

Hi Tony,

There is not a PCa level that will definitively show you are 'Cancer Free' because there are rare cases where some men with even a zero PSA reading have through scans been shown to have tumour(s) and then there is the possibility that at any time in the future there remains some microscopic cancer cells that could give rise to an increase in PSA and consolidate to form a tumour. Chances of being 'Cancer Free' are nevertheless greater if after a RP, PSA is and remains steady up to 0.1 Your 0.2 target is regarded as close to undetectable. It should be noted that the calibration of machines that provide PSA levels can vary, one reason why it helps to have all your PSA tests done at the same lab.

Edited by member 02 Feb 2019 at 03:39  | Reason: Not specified

Barry
User
Posted 06 Feb 2019 at 14:50

RESULT  !!!

0.02 as at 4 Feb 2019

Calls for a drink I think

Tony

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 01 Feb 2019 at 20:06

Hi Tony you need to provide more information in relation to your PSA and Gleason Score and any treatments you have received for your Prostate Cancer in order to give you any Thoughts 

It is difficult to talk in terms of a cure but rather remission but more information will give members on this forum a better idea in order to respond to your request.

User
Posted 01 Feb 2019 at 20:19

OK Andrew.

I had a RP on 17 December 2018.

Original diagnosis noted a Gleason Score of 7 (3+4), at its highest PSA 6.4. I was assured the cancer was contained within the pod. Right side nerves successfully saved.

So 6 week consultantion, on time, this week. Awaiting PSA result. I am told they will be happy with anything below 0.2, but what score will determine I am 'Cancer Free'

Tony

User
Posted 01 Feb 2019 at 21:06
As the doctor has said, anything below 0.2 is considered by NICE to indicate success but really you are hoping for anything below 0.1 - some labs give the results to 2 or 3 decimal places while others just report it as <0.1

You won’t know that you are cancer free until a) you have had a good pathology report from the surgeon and b) your PSA has remained <0.1 for 5 years ... if you get to 10 years without the PSA becoming detectable you will be considered to be in full remission.

Usually, the first PSA test is done before the appointment to get the pathology report so it is unfortunate that yours has been done the other way round. But your report was good so hopefully your PSA will be below 0.2

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 01 Feb 2019 at 21:23

many thanks Lyn.

Nobody referred to a pathology report, so I don't know whether that means it hasn't been done yet.

I will be satisfied (NO HAPPY !) if the PSA is below 0.2 and will try not to think about it until the next consultant appointment (4 months).

Tony

User
Posted 01 Feb 2019 at 21:35

Hi Tony,

There is not a PCa level that will definitively show you are 'Cancer Free' because there are rare cases where some men with even a zero PSA reading have through scans been shown to have tumour(s) and then there is the possibility that at any time in the future there remains some microscopic cancer cells that could give rise to an increase in PSA and consolidate to form a tumour. Chances of being 'Cancer Free' are nevertheless greater if after a RP, PSA is and remains steady up to 0.1 Your 0.2 target is regarded as close to undetectable. It should be noted that the calibration of machines that provide PSA levels can vary, one reason why it helps to have all your PSA tests done at the same lab.

Edited by member 02 Feb 2019 at 03:39  | Reason: Not specified

Barry
User
Posted 01 Feb 2019 at 22:32
Where have you got 0.02 from Barry? I don't think Tony has had a PSA result yet? If they have told him 0.2 is what they are looking for, I think there is a good chance they don't use UsPSA down to 0.05 :-/

Tony, I may have misread your post. Did you have your post-op review this week where they told you that the cancer was contained and only the right side nerves were spared? Or is that what you have been told previously?

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 02 Feb 2019 at 03:34
Sorry Tony,

Well spotted Lyn - must have had a sleepy senior moment. Have now corrected

Barry
User
Posted 02 Feb 2019 at 09:36

Thanks Tony

Your initial results were similar to mine pre surgery. You have reason to be optimistic but  of course its early days for you . In the event of a rise in your PSA there are other treatments available to you with the intention of cure. All the best 

User
Posted 04 Feb 2019 at 10:05

It's unwise to ever think about 'cure' or 'cancer free' with prostate cancer; 'remission' is the best we can hope for - and that's pretty good!

It's also potentially problematic to fixate on PSA after treatment, though I guess most of us do. It's a rise in PSA that matters, and the rate of rise even more so. The actual PSA can vary so much after treatment, that it's best to see it as a warning flag, rather than a reliable indicator of anything.

User
Posted 04 Feb 2019 at 17:14

Hi Tony, 

It might be regarded as 'head in the sand' but I asked few questions and have never seen my pathology report. Although I was told what he said was good and bad news.  Another doctor said I had more chance of dying of a heart attack. 

I'd suggest you ask exactly what your psa is.  Some just say undetectable and you have to ask for the actual result.  Knowing the result gives you a trend which can be a worry or good.  Naturally you'd want it to be as low as possible, perhaps less than 0.02 written <0.02 although some hospitals only measure above 0.1, mine's <0.05. There are no guarantees only probabilities and you can look those up.  Regards  Peter

User
Posted 06 Feb 2019 at 14:50

RESULT  !!!

0.02 as at 4 Feb 2019

Calls for a drink I think

Tony

User
Posted 06 Feb 2019 at 17:23
Brilliant

User
Posted 06 Feb 2019 at 18:21

That's great news Tony well done enjoy the drink