Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

cbd and chemo

User
Posted 04 Feb 2019 at 11:36

Hi

Has anyone on chemo tried the cbd oil while on chemo and how did you get on?

thanks barbara

User
Posted 04 Feb 2019 at 20:13

Barbara

You should check with your oncologist, many will be fine with it. I think the Realm of Caring is the place that knows most about this. I’ve taken it myself for anxiety but didn’t keep it up (too lazy) and have never given it to John. I do think it’s a good product as long as it’s sourced from a decent place like Simply CBD in the UK. People who provide proper lab reports, so you know it doesn’t have anything nasty in it and it’s fully legal.  

I’m certain that one day this will be added to our ”proper” medication list.

love Devonmaid 

User
Posted 04 Feb 2019 at 20:36

I am sorry Devonmaid, but your comment "many will be fine with it" could not be further from the truth. All clinical decisions are strictly evidence based. CBD has not been proven to help in any way with chemo. 

Trust your oncologist. If it has never been offered, that is because there is no evidence of any tangible benefits. As far as I can see, CBD being promoted to desperate people with cancer is the equivilent to snake oil salesman. 

Sorry to be so blunt, and we are all hoping for miracles, but listen to the experts.

Best regards

User
Posted 04 Feb 2019 at 20:50

I agree with Devonmaid - it is important to check with the onco and some oncos will be fine with the patient giving it a go - limited data but it does seem that CBD oil can help with chemo-related nausea and if it doesn't work, he can always stop taking it.

NCBI report https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4791148/ 

Macmillan https://www.macmillan.org.uk/information-and-support/coping/complementary-therapies/complementary-therapies-explained/cannabis-oil.html 

Two cannabis based meds have been approved by the American drugs agency for treating nausea and other side effects during chemo.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 04 Feb 2019 at 20:52
Orm, have you confused the snake oil salesmen who promote cannabis as a cure for cancer with the decision of NICE to approve CBD oil in the UK for certain medical conditions, including to reduce chemo side effects?
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 05 Feb 2019 at 21:48

I was advised by my supplier not to use it during chemo but for the life of me I can't remember why! A horribly scrambled mind and forgetfulness are side effects of chemo and ADT are something to be aware of and I am still suffering a year on.

User
Posted 06 Feb 2019 at 14:51
Hi, I used it for my last 4 rounds of chemotherapy and found it helped me deal with the side effects, at the time I had little idea of how much to use or even how to use it best as such I took a fairly high dose. Whether this improved the effects of the chemo I have no way of knowing but I did have a very good response, and after three years I’m still stable with my psa having not risen, but who knows what the next test will bring.
User
Posted 07 Feb 2019 at 09:49

Hi,

Sorry my comments might have offended some people. However the points I would like to make are these. 

1. Although NICE have approved CBD for some circumstances, you cannot get a prescription for it and pop along to your chemist. 

2. That means you have to obtain it "from the internet". So, you need to ask

a) To what pharmasutical standards is it manufactured?

b) What is it's purity?

c) Is it manufactured free from contamination?

d) What is the maximum dosage?

e) What are the side effects?

I have read reports that as it is a purely natural product it will not do you any harm. Well, so is a grapefruit and we all know it reduces the effectiveness of any chemo. 

Until proper clinical trials have taken place it is impossible to know the answers to any of this. It is often the case that the law of unintended consequenses takes everyone by suprise. Anecdotal evidence is not good enough.

If having chemo, your health is stricty monitored, blood tests etc. Any anomolies are dealt with promptly because they know exactly what is going into your body. Throwing a curved ball into the mix of something you obtained from the internet whose origin and toxicity is in doubt is playing fast and loose with your life. 

Of course there are some studies from America, the people are desperate for an alternative to the bankrupting cost of medication. However we are very lucky in the UK. Once again, until there are conclusive clinical trials of this product, and production becomes mainstream from sources that can be trusted, please listen to your oncologist.

Best regards

User
Posted 07 Feb 2019 at 10:30
You can by it from our local health shop which is a reputable shop. It’s down to the individual to research the brand though.
Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 04 Feb 2019 at 20:13

Barbara

You should check with your oncologist, many will be fine with it. I think the Realm of Caring is the place that knows most about this. I’ve taken it myself for anxiety but didn’t keep it up (too lazy) and have never given it to John. I do think it’s a good product as long as it’s sourced from a decent place like Simply CBD in the UK. People who provide proper lab reports, so you know it doesn’t have anything nasty in it and it’s fully legal.  

I’m certain that one day this will be added to our ”proper” medication list.

love Devonmaid 

User
Posted 04 Feb 2019 at 20:36

I am sorry Devonmaid, but your comment "many will be fine with it" could not be further from the truth. All clinical decisions are strictly evidence based. CBD has not been proven to help in any way with chemo. 

Trust your oncologist. If it has never been offered, that is because there is no evidence of any tangible benefits. As far as I can see, CBD being promoted to desperate people with cancer is the equivilent to snake oil salesman. 

Sorry to be so blunt, and we are all hoping for miracles, but listen to the experts.

Best regards

User
Posted 04 Feb 2019 at 20:50

I agree with Devonmaid - it is important to check with the onco and some oncos will be fine with the patient giving it a go - limited data but it does seem that CBD oil can help with chemo-related nausea and if it doesn't work, he can always stop taking it.

NCBI report https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4791148/ 

Macmillan https://www.macmillan.org.uk/information-and-support/coping/complementary-therapies/complementary-therapies-explained/cannabis-oil.html 

Two cannabis based meds have been approved by the American drugs agency for treating nausea and other side effects during chemo.

User
Posted 04 Feb 2019 at 20:52
Orm, have you confused the snake oil salesmen who promote cannabis as a cure for cancer with the decision of NICE to approve CBD oil in the UK for certain medical conditions, including to reduce chemo side effects?

User
Posted 04 Feb 2019 at 21:21

hi all,

thankyou all for your input, just trying some research on it at the moment.

no Lynn I wasn't talking to the snake oil salesman lol. it was a friend of mine in spain that mentioned it so I was just looking for some thoughts on it, tony has not felt sick at all on chemo (so far) just wondered if anyone had used it and how they had got on, would also have to speak to his renal doctor as well as not sure if it would help or hinder his kidneys. So far the chemo does not seem to have caused any more damage them.

regards barbara

User
Posted 05 Feb 2019 at 21:48

I was advised by my supplier not to use it during chemo but for the life of me I can't remember why! A horribly scrambled mind and forgetfulness are side effects of chemo and ADT are something to be aware of and I am still suffering a year on.

User
Posted 06 Feb 2019 at 14:51
Hi, I used it for my last 4 rounds of chemotherapy and found it helped me deal with the side effects, at the time I had little idea of how much to use or even how to use it best as such I took a fairly high dose. Whether this improved the effects of the chemo I have no way of knowing but I did have a very good response, and after three years I’m still stable with my psa having not risen, but who knows what the next test will bring.
User
Posted 06 Feb 2019 at 16:11
Hi Lynn

Just realised you was answering orm about the snake oil salesman and not me. lol xxx

User
Posted 07 Feb 2019 at 09:49

Hi,

Sorry my comments might have offended some people. However the points I would like to make are these. 

1. Although NICE have approved CBD for some circumstances, you cannot get a prescription for it and pop along to your chemist. 

2. That means you have to obtain it "from the internet". So, you need to ask

a) To what pharmasutical standards is it manufactured?

b) What is it's purity?

c) Is it manufactured free from contamination?

d) What is the maximum dosage?

e) What are the side effects?

I have read reports that as it is a purely natural product it will not do you any harm. Well, so is a grapefruit and we all know it reduces the effectiveness of any chemo. 

Until proper clinical trials have taken place it is impossible to know the answers to any of this. It is often the case that the law of unintended consequenses takes everyone by suprise. Anecdotal evidence is not good enough.

If having chemo, your health is stricty monitored, blood tests etc. Any anomolies are dealt with promptly because they know exactly what is going into your body. Throwing a curved ball into the mix of something you obtained from the internet whose origin and toxicity is in doubt is playing fast and loose with your life. 

Of course there are some studies from America, the people are desperate for an alternative to the bankrupting cost of medication. However we are very lucky in the UK. Once again, until there are conclusive clinical trials of this product, and production becomes mainstream from sources that can be trusted, please listen to your oncologist.

Best regards

User
Posted 07 Feb 2019 at 10:21

Oncologists, paediatricians, neuroogists and GPs are now permitted to prescribe CBD oil for people suffering nausea due to chemo, or for extreme epilepsy cases & MS where other treatments are not working.

The version for chemo patients has been tested properly, NICE has accepted that there is a proven benefit.

Personally, I wouldn't buy CBD oil from anywhere - I think your comments about quality assurance are absolutely spot on Orm and I would only be prepared to have the on-prescription product.

Edited to add NHS link 

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/medical-cannabis/ 

Edited by member 07 Feb 2019 at 10:23  | Reason: to add a web link

User
Posted 07 Feb 2019 at 10:30
You can by it from our local health shop which is a reputable shop. It’s down to the individual to research the brand though.