Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Surgery at 48?

User
Posted 18 Feb 2019 at 19:47

Hi

I was diagnosed with prostate cancer last year and now have to decide what course of action to take. Having started to come to terms with having it I had hoped to just have radiotherapy and be all good but my consultant says the most succesful way is surgery and RT after if needed. I live in an area where robotic prostate surgery is performed so should have a high chance  of a positive outcome. I would like to hear other people experiences as I am not the type of person who wants to live with Cancer but wants to seek the best outcome possible to become Cancer free.

Thanks

User
Posted 18 Feb 2019 at 21:10

My husband is 10 years older than you and had his robotic surgery on Jan 22 this year. We are young in outlook and attitude! His Gleason was 3+4 .we are awaiting PSA blood test on Feb 28th. He is re covering brilliantly! His sexual function is pretty much where it was before the op ;-) hooray .He has some stress incontinence which is improving every day. Pelvic floor exercises are essential before and after surgery .We were advised to do active surveillance but got a second opinion and went for the op due to a rapidly growing tumor. We take one day at a time but truthfully feel so much better to have this hopefully behind us. All the best .

User
Posted 19 Feb 2019 at 00:35
Apprehensive, You say " I live in an area where robotic prostate surgery is performed so should have a high chance of a positive outcome". It seems you are implying that robotic surgery affords a better outcome than other ways of prostatectomy but statistics do not bear this out. However, the robotic procedure does result in a quicker recovery. A successful outcome is more dependent on the skill of the surgeon than the surgical method and of course what is found during the operation.
Barry
Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 18 Feb 2019 at 21:10

My husband is 10 years older than you and had his robotic surgery on Jan 22 this year. We are young in outlook and attitude! His Gleason was 3+4 .we are awaiting PSA blood test on Feb 28th. He is re covering brilliantly! His sexual function is pretty much where it was before the op ;-) hooray .He has some stress incontinence which is improving every day. Pelvic floor exercises are essential before and after surgery .We were advised to do active surveillance but got a second opinion and went for the op due to a rapidly growing tumor. We take one day at a time but truthfully feel so much better to have this hopefully behind us. All the best .

User
Posted 18 Feb 2019 at 21:53

Hi,  If you add as much as you know about your diagnosis eg psa, gleason to your profile and in a post people will tailor their responses.  My profile has info about my op as well as a link to more details on a weblog I've been keeping.

It's natural to be apprehensive although 1000s of men go through it. Every one is a little different so it needs some thought.  There are also a lot of opinions. All the best Peter

Edited by member 18 Feb 2019 at 21:54  | Reason: added a bit

User
Posted 19 Feb 2019 at 00:35
Apprehensive, You say " I live in an area where robotic prostate surgery is performed so should have a high chance of a positive outcome". It seems you are implying that robotic surgery affords a better outcome than other ways of prostatectomy but statistics do not bear this out. However, the robotic procedure does result in a quicker recovery. A successful outcome is more dependent on the skill of the surgeon than the surgical method and of course what is found during the operation.
Barry
User
Posted 19 Feb 2019 at 09:03

Hi

Thanks for your reply. Your husbands case sounds very similar to mine, even the Gleeson score is the same. I was told I could also have surveillance but things seem to be changing so quickly that dealing with it head on seems to be the best way. Can you tell me how long from being diagnosed to operation was?

Thanks 

User
Posted 19 Feb 2019 at 09:33

I was 47 on dx and had surgery. i had aggressive 3+5 gleason and had eight good years before becoming symptomatic. every man is different. it depends on your stats and you attitude to risk. its also a lot to do with what is going on in your life, your relationship and in your head. please read my profile.

best of luck

bazza

User
Posted 19 Feb 2019 at 09:45
I had a raised PSA result in November, biopsy soon after, diagnosis in January and surgery in June. The operation probably would have been sooner, had I not opted for a template biopsy, second opinions and a surgeon of my choice who was out of area.

I was quite happy with the timeline.

Cheers, John.