Darolutamide

User
Posted 22 Feb 2019 at 13:54

Interesting article on this drug.

Darolutamide

Darolutamide Improves Metastasis-Free Survival in CRPC

February 14, 2019

Share this content:

https://media.chemotherapyadvisor.com/images/2017/10/12/whitepillspazopanibrenalce_1306652.jpg?format=jpg&zoom=1&quality=70&anchor=middlecenter&width=320&mode=padMedian metastasis-free survival was longer with darolutamide than with placebo: 40.4 vs 18.4 months.

Darolutamide, a new androgen-receptor antagonist, prolongs survival without metastases in men with nonmetastatic castration-resistant prostate cancer(CRPC) and a PSA doubling time of 10 months or less. Karim Fizazi, MD, of the Universite Paris-Sud in France, and colleagues reported the new findings in the New England Journal of Medicine.

In the phase 3 ARAMIS (Androgen Receptor Antagonizing Agent for Metastasis-free Survival) trial, investigators randomly assigned 1509 CRPC patients without metastases from 36 countries 2:1 to darolutamide (600 mg twice daily with food) or placebo. Meanwhile, patients continued taking androgen deprivation therapy (luteinizing hormone-releasing hormone agonist or antagonist).

Darolutamide recipients had longer median metastasis-free survival by 22 months compared with placebo recipients: 40.4 vs 18.4 months. Risk for metastasis or death significantly declined by 59% in the intervention group, including for patients with lower-risk PCa. Patients taking darolutamide also experienced significant delays to pain progression, cytotoxic chemotherapy, and symptomatic skeletal events by 35%, 57%, and 57%, respectively. With respect to secondary endpoints, overall survival improved by 29%, whereas progression-free survival, and times to PSA progression, invasive procedure, or antineoplastic therapy significantly improved by 62%, 87%, 61%, and 67%, respectively.

Darolutamide, a nonsteroidal androgen-receptor antagonist with 2 pharmacologically active diastereomers, is structurally distinct from other androgen-receptor inhibitors, Dr Fizazi and the team explained. By comparison, median metastasis-free survival was 36.6 months with enzalutamide in the PROSPER trial and 40.4 months with apalutamide in the SPARTAN trial.

Darolutamide showed good safety. Unlike the enzalutamide and apalutamide trials, fatigue and asthenia were less common. Hypertension, adverse effects related to central nervous system, falls, and fracture also were no more common with the drug than with placebo. The investigators believe darolutamide has low penetration of the blood-brain barrier. Overall, 24.8% of the darolutamide group and 20% of the placebo group experienced a serious adverse event, and 3.9% vs 3.2% experienced a Grade 5 event. Quality of life was similar for both groups. Similar proportions of the darolutamide and placebo groups discontinued their regimens: 8.9% vs 8.7%.

“These results confirm the benefits of early and potent inhibition of androgen-receptor signaling in patients with nonmetastatic, castration-resistant prostate cancer…” Dr Fizazi and the team stated. “In the current trial, darolutamide treatment did not adversely affect quality of life, and it resulted in delayed occurrence of metastases with a favorable safety profile.”

Men of African ancestry were underrepresented in the trial, so no conclusions can be made for this population. In addition, use of life-prolonging therapy in placebo patients who developed metastases potentially affected secondary results.

The ARAMIS study was funded by Bayer HealthCare and Orion Pharma, developers of darolutamide.

Reference

Fizazi K, et al. Darolutamide in Nonmetastatic, Castration-Resistant Prostate Cancer (ARAMIS). N Engl J Med. DOI:10.1056/NEJMoa1815671

Ido4

User
Posted 22 Nov 2020 at 00:31
Apparently, yes although it fills a specific gap, hormone resistant but believed to be non metastatic. It will be interesting to see how this pans out for men with suspected micro mets as oncos will need to choose which one to try first and if the onco doesn’t have actual proof of mets Daro is a) looking more effective and b) cheaper.
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard
User
Posted 21 Nov 2020 at 12:50

Hi,

See that Nice have recently approved this drug.Am not clear whether its a third line treatment that will work after chemo and enzi  or albi have failed for those of us with bone mets and lymth spread.Can any one clarify this please.

Regards

Norm

User
Posted 21 Nov 2020 at 22:03
My understanding is that the choice will be Abi, Enza or Daro and once that fails, the others are ruled out as options.
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard
User
Posted 21 Nov 2020 at 23:43

Thanks for that Lyn.I know the rationale for not being allowed Abi after Enza on the NHS or vice  verca is that experience shows the other will fail fairly quickly.Presumably this is the same rationale for this new drug Daro?

Regards

Norm

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 21 Nov 2020 at 12:50

Hi,

See that Nice have recently approved this drug.Am not clear whether its a third line treatment that will work after chemo and enzi  or albi have failed for those of us with bone mets and lymth spread.Can any one clarify this please.

Regards

Norm

User
Posted 21 Nov 2020 at 22:03
My understanding is that the choice will be Abi, Enza or Daro and once that fails, the others are ruled out as options.
User
Posted 21 Nov 2020 at 23:43

Thanks for that Lyn.I know the rationale for not being allowed Abi after Enza on the NHS or vice  verca is that experience shows the other will fail fairly quickly.Presumably this is the same rationale for this new drug Daro?

Regards

Norm

User
Posted 22 Nov 2020 at 00:31
Apparently, yes although it fills a specific gap, hormone resistant but believed to be non metastatic. It will be interesting to see how this pans out for men with suspected micro mets as oncos will need to choose which one to try first and if the onco doesn’t have actual proof of mets Daro is a) looking more effective and b) cheaper.
User
Posted 30 Dec 2022 at 15:20
Interesting comment that Darolutamide is cheaper. The costs that are being bandied about sound eye- watering to me, which is worrying if the powers that be start looking at what society gets back from feeding it to me!
User
Posted 30 Dec 2022 at 17:30
This thread is a couple of years old Morris - it turned out that Daro is quite a lot more expensive than the others - £4k per month as opposed to £2k - £2.5k
User
Posted 03 Jan 2023 at 17:05
Yes, that’s the sort of figure I’ve been told. My rough calculations suggest £50k for each QUALY it’s providing me. Should certainly be grateful to NHS, but the fatigue does colour my evaluation of Q!