Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

L plates on

User
Posted 12 Mar 2019 at 17:55

Hi,  

I have very recently been diagnosed with Pca and have read dozens of articles on this site /  community and cannot thank everybody enough for sharing their knowledge and experience.  Mine is an unremarkable story compared to many that I have read.

A shock diagnosis on Jan 2nd following biopsy in Dec 2018 after three slighlty raised PSA tests (highest being 6) throghout 2018.  Following my first test with a result of 5.9 my Doctor said this was not a problem and put me on a statin for life following slightly raised cholesterol!!

No symptoms at all and no family history.  Have opted for a RP and date set for mid April 2019.

Busy preparing physically and mentally for the operation and life thereafter.  Have remained very positive to date and feel well informed following many hours of research.

Fingers crossed for as much nerve sparing as possible.

Thanks to this community for being here and for those of you that have posted about their experiences.  This has helped me enormously to prepare and be prepared for many different scenarios.

Thank you

Steven 

User
Posted 12 Mar 2019 at 19:59
Great post Steven, good luck with your positive treatment choice , and everyone is here to help you through it. It’s a long term thing and always a lot of waiting and worrying , and recovery can be slow , but you can get through this. Some are luckier than others
User
Posted 13 Mar 2019 at 05:01

Hi Steven, the fitter you are and the longer you do pelvic floor exercises before the op the better for you recovery.

Wishing you all the best for a successful outcome in April.

Ido4

User
Posted 13 Mar 2019 at 15:59

Many thanks ido4.

I have started the exercises and spend about an hour a day on them at present.

Regards

Steven

User
Posted 13 Mar 2019 at 16:04

Many thanks Chris.  It does seem one long wait after the next following diagnosis.  

Regards

Steven

User
Posted 27 Mar 2019 at 15:58

Hi Stephen,

I was also diagnosed at the start of this year - T2b, Gleason 8 - and, like yourself, I elected for RP.

My operation was carried out on 18 March so I am now 9 days post surgery.

The run up to my op was a very nerve racking time so I can understand what you may currently be going 

through so I thought I'd drop you a quick reply to let you know how the experience has been for me.

On the day I must admit to being very nervous when I went into the hospital but the staff were very 

good and do everything to put you at ease.

When I awoke, it was a bewildering time - a few tubes and leggings inflating & deflating on my legs (but I had been warned about these).

There was hardly any pain - when asked, I put it at a 2 out of 10 and it pretty much stayed this way. 

There is plenty pain relief if more is needed.

I was up and about by the day after surgery, it felt good to get a shower and walk about a bit. 

This helped me feel more human again.

I had some trapped wind on the evening of Tuesday 19 March - this was helped by walking, gentle 

squatting & peppermint tea!

I got out of hospital on Thursday 21 March - I was lucky to be private so could stay in but, in truth, I could 

have left earlier.

When back at home, the worst bit was the catheter (!!!) I hated it, everything takes so much longer 

with it in.

Nevertheless, I got out walking to the shops etc. - one tip I'd give you is try and get a tube of Instillagel

from the hospital, it really helps.

I was back at the hospital on Monday 25 March for a scan which showed the catheter could come out - the removal wasn't pleasant but I was so, so glad to see it gone. I took great delight in binning the unused catheter supplies that I no longer needed!

It is still early days for me but I have been fully continent at night and just the odd drip during the day. The worst has been getting used to a revised signal from my bladder that its full and the stinging sensation in my penis tip (largely due to the catheter removal trauma)

This is where the Instillagel is a god-send.

Everyone's journey is different and yours may well differ from mine. However, if I'd known what my experience 

would be before the op I would have been greatly happier.

Preparations I made were:

a. Purchase of two waterproof mattress covers (one for the bed, one in the wash). Not yet having been needed.

b. Purchase of bed pads (the type for young children 900 x 600mm). Not yet having been used.

c. Purchase of appropriate underwear for use with pads - loose boxers aren't likely to work too well.

d. Purchase of loose fit trousers - handy to cover the catheter.

e. Purchase of an initial batch of pads, type 2 - I reckon i'll be using the type 1 soon

I hope this is of some help.

All the best for your operation!  

Edited by member 27 Mar 2019 at 16:06  | Reason: Trying to get the formatting correct! (without much luck.....)

User
Posted 28 Mar 2019 at 10:14

Hi Jamie

Many thanks for the reply and some great tips.

Hope your recovery is continuing at a great pace.  It is a great comfort to read some good news as there are some difficult stories out there.

Go for the pre-op check up tomorrow and pretty much ready for the op on the 12th.

Look forward to keeping an eye on you profile to see how your recovery is going.

Mant thanks and all the luck in the world.

Steve