Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

PSA 1 year after RP

User
Posted 01 Apr 2019 at 17:25

All,

I got my year PSA result after surgery and it came at 0.03.

Why would I want it to stay at 0.01? Well, probably not to feel that I have a 3 months wait to understand if it increases or stays at a low level.

Any comment?

Thank you,

Paulo

User
Posted 01 Apr 2019 at 17:46
The billion-pound super-hospital's lab that I attend only tests to 0.1, so less than <0.1 is "undetectable".

If yours is as well, worry about something else.

For now.....

Cheers, John

User
Posted 01 Apr 2019 at 18:44
Paulo, was there definitely not a < sign on the results? Have you asked for a print out? Our GP practice reception staff apparently have no idea what the 'less than' sign means or how important it is in relation to blood tests so John asks for a print out each time just to be sure.

Regardless of whether your result is <0.03 or 0.03, you have no reason to be concerned unless your PSA rises above 0.1 and then rises in two further consecutive tests.

Your body may just be settling back into what is normal for you, or the hospital / GP may have changed to a new testing lab, or the lab may have purchased new machines, or the existing machines may have been calibrated since your last test.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 01 Apr 2019 at 21:07

Looking at your history 0.01 may be an aberration.  It looks like 0.03 may be nearer your normal although finding out the sensitivity of the machine will be useful i.e. is your result undetectable <0.03.   Did the 0.01 use a different machine.

Edited by member 01 Apr 2019 at 21:08  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 01 Apr 2019 at 21:42

Sounds like an excellent result Paulo, congratulations.  

Perfectly understandable to have post-op result anxiety, we all have it to a greater or lesser degree.  It does get easier to cope with the longer you go on.

Have you had a chance to speak to a Dr or practice nurse at the surgery?  Maybe try to do that first?   If you are not satisfied, could you explain the anxiety and ask for another test sooner rather than later?  I've had that chat with my GP surgery.

atb

dave

All we can do - is do all that we can.

So, do all you can to help yourself, then make the best of your time. :-)

I am the statistic.

User
Posted 01 Apr 2019 at 23:27

It is nearly 2 years now since my RP and everytime I have had my PSA tested

at the hospital where I had my operation it has been 0.01

Just once I had it done at my local hospital and it came back 0.02

I suppose it depends on the machines accuracy

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 01 Apr 2019 at 17:46
The billion-pound super-hospital's lab that I attend only tests to 0.1, so less than <0.1 is "undetectable".

If yours is as well, worry about something else.

For now.....

Cheers, John

User
Posted 01 Apr 2019 at 18:44
Paulo, was there definitely not a < sign on the results? Have you asked for a print out? Our GP practice reception staff apparently have no idea what the 'less than' sign means or how important it is in relation to blood tests so John asks for a print out each time just to be sure.

Regardless of whether your result is <0.03 or 0.03, you have no reason to be concerned unless your PSA rises above 0.1 and then rises in two further consecutive tests.

Your body may just be settling back into what is normal for you, or the hospital / GP may have changed to a new testing lab, or the lab may have purchased new machines, or the existing machines may have been calibrated since your last test.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 01 Apr 2019 at 21:07

Looking at your history 0.01 may be an aberration.  It looks like 0.03 may be nearer your normal although finding out the sensitivity of the machine will be useful i.e. is your result undetectable <0.03.   Did the 0.01 use a different machine.

Edited by member 01 Apr 2019 at 21:08  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 01 Apr 2019 at 21:42

Sounds like an excellent result Paulo, congratulations.  

Perfectly understandable to have post-op result anxiety, we all have it to a greater or lesser degree.  It does get easier to cope with the longer you go on.

Have you had a chance to speak to a Dr or practice nurse at the surgery?  Maybe try to do that first?   If you are not satisfied, could you explain the anxiety and ask for another test sooner rather than later?  I've had that chat with my GP surgery.

atb

dave

All we can do - is do all that we can.

So, do all you can to help yourself, then make the best of your time. :-)

I am the statistic.

User
Posted 01 Apr 2019 at 23:27

It is nearly 2 years now since my RP and everytime I have had my PSA tested

at the hospital where I had my operation it has been 0.01

Just once I had it done at my local hospital and it came back 0.02

I suppose it depends on the machines accuracy

User
Posted 02 Apr 2019 at 10:27

Hy Lyn,

Thank you for your reply.

Yes I received a printout and it states 0.03. I also called the lab a short while ago and the machine can read a very sensitive mark (0.0001). They only state in the reports til 0.01 though. So in my case it is in fact 0.03.

Well, too early to worry of course, but it might have been better to have a lower mark. Anyway patience and enjoy life.

Thank you,

Paulo

User
Posted 02 Apr 2019 at 10:28

Yes John, I will worry about something else :-)

User
Posted 02 Apr 2019 at 10:31

Hi Dave, I will schedule a doctor appointment now after this result, but I am almost certain he is going to say it has been a good result. I am still testing every 3 months.

Maybe I read too much about this but don't know of course enough!

Thanks, Paulo