Show search

Notification

Error

Plan F - F - S

User
Posted 15 Apr 2019 at 18:44

HI All,

Just after some general advise.

Finished my 10 rounds of Docetaxel chemo with a finishing PSA 81. started well on downward figure but began to rise after round 6/7. Came out other side feeling good with minimal SE's. I had 6 rounds of docetaxel a couple of years previous.

Had consultation last week with Dr ADS. The bone scans are steady with no change but PSA rose by 45 which has concerned her, and me and OH obviously. We chatted about having a couple of months to monitor situation and put me on dexamethasone meantime but has mentioned having 10 rounds of  Cabazitaxel or Radium 223. She also mentioned trying out some clinical trials.

I did have some concerns about level of Docetaxel used (in light of Tayside reducing the amount under breast cancer treatment) but have been assured correct amount was used. What was also interesting was the mention at Radium 223 would be hard to come by due to Brexit - but that's another discussion.

So couple of questions

1) I realise that Cabazitaxel is a much stronger chemo but was wondering if anyone has had both and how different was the SE's. I know everyone is an individual (I am not - life of Brian) but was it found to be much harder to get through?

2) Does anyone know what clinical trails are currently being carried out in Glasgow or Aberdeen Trusts. Tayside don't do any I am told.

3) Radium 223 - don't really want to go down that line as I have always thought its for pain relief rather than anything else.

Finding it difficult the focus or be positive at moment but any info would be good.

Steven

User
Posted 15 Apr 2019 at 21:39

There have been members that have had both - generally, Cabazitaxel seems to be tolerated quite well. Here are some of the threads from men that have tried it: 

https://community.prostatecanceruk.org/search?search=cabazitaxel&advanced=false

Radium 223 has produced remarkable results - it is not just for pain relief although a reduction of pain is a noted side effect.

Edited by member 16 Apr 2019 at 00:23  | Reason: Not specified

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 20 Apr 2019 at 23:59

As you say, we are all  individual, but for what its worth, this is my experience of Cabazitaxel (so far!)

I had 6 cycles of Docetaxel between October 17 and February 18 and my PSA at the end of it was 25. The side effects of Docetaxel were quite irritating, sometimes severe, other times less so, but I did cope with it very well. At the end of it, after a recovery period of about a month, I really did feel well.

I subsequently took part in a clinical trial (called Re-Akt) which failed miserably and so in January this year, I commenced 10 cycles of Cabazitaxel. I had cycle number 5 on Wednesday last week.

The good news is that I have had no side effects whatsoever. I just don't know that I have had it at all and life is as normal as I could expect given my general condition. The bad news is that it doesn't seem to be achieving anything either. My PSA is rising dramatically and last Wednesday it stood at 1454. That's quite an increase from 25 this time last year.

My onco is seriously worried about the PSA rise and is organising CT and MRI scans ahead of my next infusion. He said he will stop this treatment if the scans show deterioration.

So, Cabazitaxel doesn't look too good from my point of view, but I hope you have more success.

Good luck

Peter

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 15 Apr 2019 at 21:39

There have been members that have had both - generally, Cabazitaxel seems to be tolerated quite well. Here are some of the threads from men that have tried it: 

https://community.prostatecanceruk.org/search?search=cabazitaxel&advanced=false

Radium 223 has produced remarkable results - it is not just for pain relief although a reduction of pain is a noted side effect.

Edited by member 16 Apr 2019 at 00:23  | Reason: Not specified

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 20 Apr 2019 at 23:59

As you say, we are all  individual, but for what its worth, this is my experience of Cabazitaxel (so far!)

I had 6 cycles of Docetaxel between October 17 and February 18 and my PSA at the end of it was 25. The side effects of Docetaxel were quite irritating, sometimes severe, other times less so, but I did cope with it very well. At the end of it, after a recovery period of about a month, I really did feel well.

I subsequently took part in a clinical trial (called Re-Akt) which failed miserably and so in January this year, I commenced 10 cycles of Cabazitaxel. I had cycle number 5 on Wednesday last week.

The good news is that I have had no side effects whatsoever. I just don't know that I have had it at all and life is as normal as I could expect given my general condition. The bad news is that it doesn't seem to be achieving anything either. My PSA is rising dramatically and last Wednesday it stood at 1454. That's quite an increase from 25 this time last year.

My onco is seriously worried about the PSA rise and is organising CT and MRI scans ahead of my next infusion. He said he will stop this treatment if the scans show deterioration.

So, Cabazitaxel doesn't look too good from my point of view, but I hope you have more success.

Good luck

Peter

User
Posted 23 Apr 2019 at 03:45
Thanks Peter good to know your experience on cabaz and trial and looking at your profile your similar in types of treatment although some variants in drugs!

Good luck to you for scans and treatment.

Steven