I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Introducing zytigA after a month of firmagon

User
Posted 09 May 2019 at 07:05

my Dad was diagnosed in April this year with advanced prostate cancer with spread to bones. He is very unwell still and has one dose of radiation two weeks ago which seems to have helped with pain. His psa was 1000

he had hospital appointment yeaterday with oncologist and he is introducing zytigA tablets and blood strengthening infusions once a month. He had his second shot of firmagon. No bloods taken so no idea how its responding . Anyone start a second treatment early  

User
Posted 09 May 2019 at 14:16

Wow your consultant sounds pretty sharp, there has just been some research released that has demonstrated early use of Zytiga (Abiraterone) gives a significant survival benefit with little additional impact on QOL. The research is below.

http://prac.co/l/yxrp85oo

User
Posted 09 May 2019 at 14:39

Thanks for that I was wondering if it was normal practice . I only met the consultant yesterday but he saw my dad when he was an inpatient . We don’t have nhs in Ireland have a two tiered system. Private and public

private - choice of consultants quicker access the same as uk I imagine

public - you pay up to 800 a year of your an inpatient and then up to 120 a month for any drugs you might use

medical card - public treatment means tested but all free instay in hospital and prescription charges about 20 per month .

my dad is over 70 so gets a medical card . I’m impressed that consultant seems on top of things