I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

psa high

User
Posted 17 May 2019 at 19:56

Hi have what l though was a urine infection seems it not that .Had a blood test monday and Doc called me tuesday wanted to see me .He told ne my blood count come out at 8 psa . So has arrange appointment for 2 weeks from now for the neurology dept . Is that a long wait do you think if l do have orostrate cancer ?

User
Posted 17 May 2019 at 20:13
It's within the NHS guidelines. You should see a consultant within a fortnight for anything which may be cancer, so your urology appointment is exactly what the guidelines specify.

Best wishes,

Chris
User
Posted 17 May 2019 at 20:29
A PSA score of 8 just tells the medics that further investigation is needed. You could have cancer with a PSA of 3 or get the all clear with a PSA of 50.

Infection can make the PSA rise as well.
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard
User
Posted 17 May 2019 at 21:14

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member

Is that a long wait do you think if l do have orostrate cancer ?

No. There's no evidence you have prostate cancer as yet.

But if you do, unlike many other cancers, it's normally slow moving, and there are drugs to make it much slower moving, so there isn't the same urgency you see with some other cancers, and this gives you plenty of time to consider what treatment options to choose. It will likely be at least 5-6 weeks from now before you find out if you have prostate cancer, but that's not significant given the slow speed that prostate cancer usually develops - over years.

You may get multiple appointments depending how your urology department works. A common protocol is to get an appointment for an MRI scan, followed a few days later with an appointment in urology (not neurology) where they can look at the scan and decide what tests to do in the light of it. If your urology department operates a one-stop-shop scheme, they may try to do the remaining tests all on that visit, although it depends what follow-on tests they decide are necessary. It typically takes 3 weeks to get the results after that, hence 5-6 weeks from now.

Obviously feel free to ask whatever questions you have and report back what appointments and tests you have - you will get plenty of support here, and we'll all be hoping you don't have PCa.

User
Posted 18 May 2019 at 02:19
My local pub landlord had raised PSA, a scan showed something and he had a biopsy. The results showed he was clear of cancer but had Benign Prostate Hyperplasia (BPH), so don’t get too worried just yet.

Best of luck.

Cheers, John.
User
Posted 18 May 2019 at 07:44

Thankyou Chris 

User
Posted 18 May 2019 at 07:44

Thankyou Lyn 

User
Posted 18 May 2019 at 07:45

Thanks John

User