I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Blood and clots in urine

User
Posted 24 May 2019 at 19:04

I have stage 2 cancer with three-monthly PSA regularly just over 3, had a template biopsy 18 months ago but I am having unexplained blood and clots in my urine. This has happened three times now since September and goes on only for a day or so before my urine becomes clear again . I had full abdominal scans and tests including cystoscopy in December, all clear of anything to explain this. I have no other symptoms and last time it happened there was no infection.

Does anyone have a similar experience? I am beginning to wonder if my prostate was permanently damaged by the biopsy.

User
Posted 24 May 2019 at 22:43

After my op similar would happen if I strained on the loo for a short period.  Could it be something you do that breaks healing such as straining, exercise or excess intake of liquid.  Healing needs to be complete or it can go back to square one.  Three times in 6 months sounds a bit surprising unless there is something common before it happens.

User
Posted 30 Jul 2019 at 20:26

I started to pass lots blood and clots but that was after SRT. I assume you have not had any RT to the pelvic area.

Thanks Chris.

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 24 May 2019 at 22:43

After my op similar would happen if I strained on the loo for a short period.  Could it be something you do that breaks healing such as straining, exercise or excess intake of liquid.  Healing needs to be complete or it can go back to square one.  Three times in 6 months sounds a bit surprising unless there is something common before it happens.

User
Posted 26 May 2019 at 15:05
Have you had any treatment for your prostate cancer since you were diagnosed?
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard
User
Posted 26 May 2019 at 16:50

hi Mark

Any pattern ? ie do you cycle ? run at lot ?  are you on any other meds ?   

how much urine are you passing and have you have regular urine tests when you can't see.any blood?   

this is not normal, yes the prostate will be obviously  damaged however couple months it should be healed. 

Incidentally my biopsy I bleed quite a bit immed afterwards.  5 minutes  .  they also said i have calcium deposits.  probably from earlier prostatitis. 

I had no blood or clots after a day or 2.  Took about 4 weeks at least for the semen to clear.. 

As Lynn asks.    What is the latest  re your dx.   ?

regards 

Gordon  

User
Posted 26 May 2019 at 17:30

Thank you for your replies. 

I am very active, I run, have a large garden to attend to and some weeks travel alot (this week included). I had wondered if it was due to physical exertion but this time the dark red clots and fresh looking blood have gone on for a few days which is more worrying. 

December scans included kidneys and showed nothing abnormal.

I am not having any treatment other than active surveillance.

I am due another template biopsy so I guess I need to call urology to raise this with them again.

User
Posted 26 May 2019 at 17:51
You get blood in your urine for maybe a week or so after a biopsy. That’s entirely normal. Blood after 18 months is assuredly not normal. Have you been to see your GP about it? I really would do.

Best wishes,

Chris
User
Posted 26 May 2019 at 17:59

Hi Chris,

When it happened a month ago I went to the surgery, they tested my urine and said there was no infection but there was blood. They said they would ask urology to bring on arrangements for my next template biopsy but I have not heard from them. 

Unfortunately this time it started Friday afternoon and I am left waiting until the weekend is over before I can contact anyone about it. I am (perhaps wrongly) hoping that my most recent PSA of 3.1 (no increase) in April suggests there is no serious deterioration in my prostate.

User
Posted 26 May 2019 at 18:23

hi

What were your Gleason values ?

Did you have an mpMRI ?

At 57 you are obviously fit.  

I would progress and get an answer.  The NHS treated me extremely well.

However I know from others it  is not always the case.

all the best Gordon 

User
Posted 26 May 2019 at 18:34

Hi Gordon,

Gleason 7, yes to mpMRI, I have never been fitter. I sometimes run competitive 10km runs (which has not caused a problem re clots/blood in urine).

I am aware the NHS can be hit and miss and the local NHS Trust does have its problems. I know I will need to pursue this asap and to date I have thought the urology department has been sufficiently responsive but there is always a niggle something has been missed with the scans etc.

Mark

User
Posted 30 Jul 2019 at 16:39

To post an update about this. I had a further bout of bits and blood in my urine about a month later, that is four times in a six month period. The bits were more in number and larger (approx half centimetre long), otherwise I have been completely symptom free.

On Saturday I had my second template biopsy and second cytoscopy under GA. Afterwards the surgeon told me my bladder/urethra was free of lesions/tumour etc. He suggested that as the bits/blood were always evident at the start of my urine flow, it was highly likely that the cause was lower than the bladder and suggested that the most likely cause was my prostate. He said that with a PSA at 3.5 it was unlikely my cancer had progressed but I need to await the biopsy results.

I have still not seen other men reporting that their prostate has been 'flaking' away bits of tissue so long after a biopsy ( previously 20 months ago). Unless anyone knows different?

Best Wishes

User
Posted 30 Jul 2019 at 20:26

I started to pass lots blood and clots but that was after SRT. I assume you have not had any RT to the pelvic area.

Thanks Chris.

User
Posted 31 Jul 2019 at 07:07

Hi Chris,

No RT, only a template biopsy which is now 20 months previously.