I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Constipation post surgery

User
Posted 06 Jun 2019 at 15:58

Not the most attractive title for post I know but something others might have been through. Currently stuck in hospital 3 days after robotic prostatectomy and they won’t let me go until I’ve opened my bowels. Various laxatives tried but nothing doing - any advice gratefully received.  

User
Posted 06 Jun 2019 at 19:47
Hi Neil,

Your innards have been mightily buggered about with, what with Robert the Robot’s six octopus arms delving round inside you and moreover, they inject your abdomen with gas, to form a ‘cathedral’ operating space.

To paraphrase Rod Stewart, ‘The First Fart is the Bestest’. Your situation will certainly resolve itself in due course, and they are quite right to keep you in until the convoy is on the move.

Best of luck with your recovery. Keep your bowels open!

Cheers, John.
User
Posted 08 Jun 2019 at 16:39
Thank you all gentlemen for taking the time to respond and help a fellow man at the end of his tether and in dire need. That’s the beauty of a forum like this, no matter how alone you feel, you can post a concern and instantly feel you’re amongst friends.

Continued good health to all and may all you’re stools be soft ones.
Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 06 Jun 2019 at 19:47
Hi Neil,

Your innards have been mightily buggered about with, what with Robert the Robot’s six octopus arms delving round inside you and moreover, they inject your abdomen with gas, to form a ‘cathedral’ operating space.

To paraphrase Rod Stewart, ‘The First Fart is the Bestest’. Your situation will certainly resolve itself in due course, and they are quite right to keep you in until the convoy is on the move.

Best of luck with your recovery. Keep your bowels open!

Cheers, John.
User
Posted 06 Jun 2019 at 19:54

Have you eaten anything much which can work its way through?

I thought I was constipated after the transperineal biopsy (different order of magnitude, I know) because I hadn't done a #2 for 2 days afterwards, but I wasn't - it was just that my body had completely emptied out my bowls in the anxious lead up, and then no food on the day of the op, and it took a while to refill the pipeline afterwards. When it eventually came, it wasn't constipated at all. Maybe ask for a large bowl of All Bran.

User
Posted 06 Jun 2019 at 19:57

Cheers John, though that might be the case, it’s just I’m a regular every day man so 4 days is like the end of world to me - they must know what they’re doing.  

User
Posted 06 Jun 2019 at 20:03
Hi Andy, I’ve been eating normally under instructions, it seems physically impossible to me that you can put so much in one end and nothing coming out the other :-(
User
Posted 06 Jun 2019 at 20:06

A few days post op I had a very excruciating pain, we called 999 got the paramedics first, 30 mg of morphine and a trip in an ambulance, all down to constipation. Are you keeping mobile, laying in bed will not help. From experience of colonoscopy preparation there are drinks you can have too move things very quickly but I doubt they are appropriate at this time. Pain killers can cause constipation.

When you do get moving remember not to force it out. Passing hard motions past you new joint is not advisable.

Hope things soon start happening.

Thanks Chris 

Edited by member 06 Jun 2019 at 20:07  | Reason: Grammar

User
Posted 06 Jun 2019 at 20:18
Thanks Chris. I’m patrolling the corridors like a security guard in a dressing gown, under instructions to move around as much as I can and drink lots of water. The laxatives, both tables and drinks, should be enough to move a mountain.
User
Posted 06 Jun 2019 at 20:32
Neil,

When I had my left kidney removed last year, which is similar robotic surgery to an RP, I couldn’t move my bowels for 8 days - the opioid painkillers they’d given me had caused such major constipation and the cut abdominal muscles made it too painful to “push”. In the end I had to dial “999” to be taken to A&E and be given an enema. Big-time constipation after major surgery is, unfortunately, quite common. Fortunately in my case, once things started moving everything was OK.

Cheers,

Chris
User
Posted 06 Jun 2019 at 20:41
Hi Chris, 8 days! Good grief I’m only half way there. I did ask about an enema but they won’t do it, too close to the operation site. Looks like I’ve just got to get on with it:-(
User
Posted 06 Jun 2019 at 21:11
I was in 15 days post surgery. Three days before I had No 2 after surgery. They were giving me Magnesium Hydroxide each day. When I went oh the bliss. I think there is a mental side to it also what with all the surgery and a catheter
User
Posted 06 Jun 2019 at 21:43
Unfortunately constipation is a major side-effect of opioid painkillers such as morphine and codeine. If you are still taking these it might be worth asking if you can switch to something else. I found by far the most effective pain relief while I was in hospital to be paracetamol given via an intravenous drip.

I hope things "unlock" for you soon. I know from personal experience how uncomfortable it must be for you.

All the best,

Chris
User
Posted 06 Jun 2019 at 21:55
Cheers Chris, was on Tramadol, which apparently has similar constipation issues. Stopped taking it now, just trying to make do with paracetamol.
User
Posted 06 Jun 2019 at 22:40
Neil

Ask them for some picolax, it would blow a hole in the Hoover Dam.
User
Posted 07 Jun 2019 at 12:38

I was given picolax after my surgery. Worked a treat!

Ido4

User
Posted 07 Jun 2019 at 12:48
Any news?

Get the sewage works on standby for a large consignment!

Cheers, John.
User
Posted 07 Jun 2019 at 13:01

Neil

Not heard the cheers of relief yet, remember no straining.

Thanks Chris

User
Posted 07 Jun 2019 at 14:07

I agree with John, I am 3 weeks post op and had a similar experience only mine was three days. When I eventually did go whilst in hospital I also had a leak of urine down the side of the catheter, this surprised me but was assured it was normal for the first one or two #2s. I have also just had a minor blockage for two days which was cleared by taking Movicol swiftly prescribed by my GP. You are definitely in the best place.

Best wishes

Peter

User
Posted 07 Jun 2019 at 21:50
Sorry guys, sadly no news to report and 5 days in. They’re giving me cocktail of laxatives, stool softeners and even a gel bullet inserted once day. Surgeon still doesn’t seem unduly concerned and happy to let it happen. For me, I’m in a state of abject misery :-(
User
Posted 08 Jun 2019 at 00:21

hi Neil.

hope sorted now.  I had very similar, however I was discharged asap.  ie 1 night stay.

I was well, eating , no meds other than fragmin inj.  abdomen very swollen and intestine must have gone to sleep !

eventually about 5 days success. albeit  terrible  pushing  .  seemed to have a large 'bung.. 

I think others have similar or worse.  Are you still in hospital then? How many miles are you walking daily .?

you must be reaching time when catheter will be removed.  

hopefully all resolved.

Gordon 

User
Posted 08 Jun 2019 at 11:45
Many thanks for advice and support guys. I’m very pleased to announce that after 4 days from surgery and 5 days since I last went, things began to move. Under the constant attack from tablets at the top and suppositories at the bottom, the concrete wall began to crack and finally gave up the ghost. The surgeons predictions proved to spot on and although the stomach urges were gripping, the actual event was quite gentle with no pushing required. Two more sessions this morning, which were a tad more sudden and I’m starting feel like my old self again. I’ve just been told I am now good to go, either today or tomorrow depending how I feel.

Have to say I never want to get in such a state again but hopefully, when I’m in my normal routine, I’ll back to my regular once a day.

As for the whole robotic prostatectomy experience, I was shocked how invasive it was, but having 6 probes rodding away inside my stomach should have given me a clue I suppose. The constipation was really traumatic but many others seem to get away quite lightly.

In conclusion, I just feel so lucky that I was diagnosed early and was put in the care of such true professionals. I can’t speak highly enough of the surgeon and his team and the care given by the nurses will never be forgotten.

Onward and upward!

User
Posted 08 Jun 2019 at 13:05

Well done Neil as you say onwards and upwards. One day at a time eh

Regards

Peter

User
Posted 08 Jun 2019 at 13:35
S**t has happened! Hallelujah!

At least you weren’t like this drug dealer:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/crime/man-swallows-drugs-refuses-toilet-poo-watch-freed-watch-essex-police-drug-dealer-operation-raptor-a8244006.html

I’m surprised you say how invasive your procedure was, as I regard my surgery as virtually pain-free, and I am a big baby. I had been out shopping and down the pub several times during the time you have been incarcerated (on medical grounds) in hospital. They gave me all kinds of laxatives and stool-softening drinks and I didn’t use any. If you click my profile you can read the gory details.

Well, at least you now have a BIG LOAD off your mind, and I wish you a speedy discharge from hospital, a rapid recovery, and the best of luck for the future.

Cheers, John.
User
Posted 08 Jun 2019 at 14:16

Phew, what a relief.

Hope all goes well with your recovery.

Thanks Chris

User
Posted 08 Jun 2019 at 16:25
That's great news, Neil! I must you've been treated a lot better than I was. I was discharged two days after major surgery completely constipated with no help or advice given, and left to sort the issue out on my own which, as I said before, ultimately required a "999" call and 10h in A&E. I'm now that things will quickly return to normal for you now.

Don't try to overdo things when you do go home. You've had major surgery and it takes a long time to get over. Take things easy for a few weeks.

Very best wishes,

Chris
User
Posted 08 Jun 2019 at 16:39
Thank you all gentlemen for taking the time to respond and help a fellow man at the end of his tether and in dire need. That’s the beauty of a forum like this, no matter how alone you feel, you can post a concern and instantly feel you’re amongst friends.

Continued good health to all and may all you’re stools be soft ones.