I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Consultant Selection and Operation Performance Results

User
Posted 07 Jun 2019 at 11:15

I'm 69, suffered from enlarged prostate for many years, with lots! of peeing trips!

Now just had a PSA test of 25!

Anyone with experience of researching Consultants, NHS or Private, with a view to finding performance statistics to help decide the Consultant's expertise and quality of results from prostate removal operation

- big implications/problems of it going wrong.

Thanks for any suggestions/help.

Dan

User
Posted 07 Jun 2019 at 12:28

Dan,

Have you had a multi-discipinary team (MDT) perform the diagnosis tests and recommend that surgery is the best option for you (i.e. urologists and oncologists working together to decide which treatments are viable for you)?

Just wondering what diagnosis stage you are at, and how much you know about the staging and aggressiveness of your particular cancer.

It helps to provide advice if you put your diagnosis and test results with dates in you bio. (Click on my avatar for an example).

User
Posted 07 Jun 2019 at 12:42

Hi Jock,

We are not allowed to mention surgeons’ names here so I’ll refer you to this article from the Daily Mail - ‘The best in urologists in Britain according to their peers’ - don’t believe everything you read in the papers as ever.

Personally, I am very pleased my with the results of my operation by Professor Whocannotbenamedhere, as I am cancer-free a year later, but two friends who had surgery by two others on that list at the same time, @ £20,000 a pop, have cancer recurrence, and are now looking at further treatment.

If it turns out you don’t have cancer, as you have not said, only mentioning a PSA number, any surgeon that list should be good if you need any other type of urinary treatment.

Best of luck.

Cheers, John.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-5808997/Meet-best-urologists-Britain.html

Edited by member 07 Jun 2019 at 13:36  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 07 Jun 2019 at 16:10
All urologists are supposed to publish their data on radical prostatectomy outcomes although there are a handful who refuse to comply. If you Google 'prostatectomy outcomes UK' it should take you to the online tool. You can then search by name of surgeon or by hospital.
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard