I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Monthly PSA tests

User
Posted 13 Jun 2019 at 23:22

I'm currently on Hormone treatment, started last November. I have localised advanced PC, stage 3A. I want to go on IHT so would like regular monitoring of my PSA.

How can I get monthly PSA tests?

I keep getting the same answer that it's not normal procedure and strangely that it - may be dangerous.

User
Posted 13 Jun 2019 at 23:22

I'm currently on Hormone treatment, started last November. I have localised advanced PC, stage 3A. I want to go on IHT so would like regular monitoring of my PSA.

How can I get monthly PSA tests?

I keep getting the same answer that it's not normal procedure and strangely that it - may be dangerous.

User
Posted 15 Jun 2019 at 09:36
I know of no good reason to have monthly PSA tests, and it seems to me an expensive and wasteful way to treat anxiety. Much better to get counselling - that can be arranged through the NHS!
Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 14 Jun 2019 at 01:29

You could pay for the tests and get them done privately but I think your GP would not authorize this frequency on the NHS unless you were a very special case and at a critical point or at special request of a consultant. When were you first diagnosed; what was your PSA on diagnosis and your Gleason score; what treatment have you had so far? Are you on a prescribed period of HT prior to having radical treatment, in which case HT breaks are not recommended or after having radical treatment? Is it only your idea to want a HT break or something your consultant is happy with? What have been your PSA levels since you started HT? Answers to the foregoing would give us a better idea of your situation and your reasoning for wanting the HT breaks and more regular PSA tests.

Edited by member 14 Jun 2019 at 01:52  | Reason: Not specified

Barry
User
Posted 14 Jun 2019 at 07:32
Home PSA tests, where you prick your finger and send a blood sample to a lab, retail for about £70. But I’d question the value of such frequent testing. I’ve never heard of anyone being tested more frequently than once every three months.

Best wishes,

Chris

User
Posted 14 Jun 2019 at 08:18

T3a would normally be on a curative treatment plan, whereas IHT is normally discussed in the context of a non-curable treatment plan including lifelong HT.

It would help to fill out your bio in your profile, so we know what diagnosis and treatment you've had.

User
Posted 15 Jun 2019 at 09:36
I know of no good reason to have monthly PSA tests, and it seems to me an expensive and wasteful way to treat anxiety. Much better to get counselling - that can be arranged through the NHS!
User
Posted 16 Jun 2019 at 12:40
Droop, with a T3 you are presumably on a curative pathway (IHT is not relevant to men on curative treatment) and having only been on HT for 6 months, it would be too soon for IHT anyway.

Are you having radiotherapy as well as HT? Have you been diagnosed as incurable? What is your current PSA reading? We need more info to be able to help you.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard