Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Fluctuating PSA Levels

User
Posted 10 Jul 2019 at 13:54

Hi Everyone,

About 6 weeks ago I had a water infection, closely followed by another. This lead my GP to request I took blood tests after the infection had gone.

My first blood test came back with PSA levels of 17.  Now because we felt this may have been caused by the UTI we organised another blood test around 2 weeks later. This time it came back at just 6.  But obviously still a little high so he requested a further test. The results of this came back yesterday and they are now at 15.

So my GP is now organizing an emergency referral. Obviously I'm slightly concerned but I take some comfort in that my 2nd test showed a reduced PSA count.

Is this fluctuation unusual? 

User
Posted 10 Jul 2019 at 17:19

Hello,

I had a blood test for PSA on  one occasion & it was 2.8  then similar to your GP I had another & it went down to 2.6 ,that said I’ve since had another & it’s 5.2 so yes it can fluctuate. The Doctor told me that infectious & trauma ie investigative operations can alter the PSA levels.

I hope this info helps.

User
Posted 10 Jul 2019 at 20:04

Prostate cancer generally only increases PSA, in the absence of any treatment to reduce it. Possibly not an absolute rule, but certainly most typical.

So if your PSA is going up and down, that's unlikely to be due to prostate cancer. The lowest level it goes down to, 6 in your case which is too high to ignore, could be due to prostate cancer and should be checked out, but is quite likely to be caused by whatever is making it fluctuate.

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 10 Jul 2019 at 17:19

Hello,

I had a blood test for PSA on  one occasion & it was 2.8  then similar to your GP I had another & it went down to 2.6 ,that said I’ve since had another & it’s 5.2 so yes it can fluctuate. The Doctor told me that infectious & trauma ie investigative operations can alter the PSA levels.

I hope this info helps.

User
Posted 10 Jul 2019 at 20:04

Prostate cancer generally only increases PSA, in the absence of any treatment to reduce it. Possibly not an absolute rule, but certainly most typical.

So if your PSA is going up and down, that's unlikely to be due to prostate cancer. The lowest level it goes down to, 6 in your case which is too high to ignore, could be due to prostate cancer and should be checked out, but is quite likely to be caused by whatever is making it fluctuate.

User
Posted 10 Jul 2019 at 20:17

Hi trebor

thanks very much for your reply

have you had a diagnosis then? 

User
Posted 10 Jul 2019 at 20:20

Hi andy

yeh that was my thinking so I’m reasonably relaxed about it and now you’ve posted that has certainly helped 

thanks a lot for replying it’s much appreciated 

Edited by member 10 Jul 2019 at 20:20  | Reason: Not specified