Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

SHOULDER PAIN-2

User
Posted 24 Jul 2019 at 13:18

Dear All,

Anyone in this forum suffering from shoulder pain especially in sleeping time but tolerable . If some one suffering pls tell me the reason and other cause .

Regards,

Bose

User
Posted 01 Aug 2019 at 08:39

Bose,

In my experience every single time that my husband’s PSA was on the rise, he had symptoms. Increased pain being the main one and sometimes,  change in the way he was feeling generally. If it was a significant rise it has always been very obvious.

hope this helps

Devonmaid 

User
Posted 24 Jul 2019 at 22:18
It could be bone mets, indigestion, a muscle strain or just aches and pains from the hormone treatment.
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 26 Jul 2019 at 13:33

I have shoulder pain which comes and goes, which sometimes worries me. I comfort myself because it predated my diagnosis and nothing was seen on my scans. Also there is plenty of clicking and grinding when I do certain activities (cricket etc.) which indicates it is wear and tear. I used to have a very physical job in farming and I think it has caught up with me. I am also convinced that ADT gives rise to various aches and pains in all parts of the body, and as long as they don't persist for more than a few minutes, I am happy to ignore them.

User
Posted 02 Aug 2019 at 12:53
It doesn't work like that. The prostate can stay the same size but the cancer can be spreading in the bones or lymph nodes.

You fix too much on individual things instead of asking the right questions of your dad's doctors. The PSA isn't the actual problem, it is an indicator of how active the cancer is. The pain isn't the actual problem, it could be an indicator that the cancer is active. The size of the prostate isn't the actual problem, it is a side effect of prostate cancer that can make urination difficult. But one thing does not automatically mean another and nor can one thing be used to rule out something else. Your dad's doctors should be using all of the information to monitor him and judge whether the cancer is being controlled.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 03 Aug 2019 at 08:01
Bose

Do you ask the doctors your questions before you ask them here?

User
Posted 06 Aug 2019 at 00:03
You ask the same questions over and over no matter how many times you get a reply.

1. There is no certainty that the shoulder pain has anything to do with his cancer, it might be caused by something else entirely.

2. 0.11 is not undetectable, although it is very low

3. The hormone treatment is keeping his PSA low so there shouldnt be much cancer cell activity

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 24 Jul 2019 at 22:18
It could be bone mets, indigestion, a muscle strain or just aches and pains from the hormone treatment.

User
Posted 25 Jul 2019 at 13:20
Dear LynEyre,

Thanks for your quick response.

Bone mets in shoulder cause weight loss and appetite????. If there is mets in shoulder patients having unbearable pain or little pain which is tolerable.

Regards,

Bose

User
Posted 26 Jul 2019 at 13:33

I have shoulder pain which comes and goes, which sometimes worries me. I comfort myself because it predated my diagnosis and nothing was seen on my scans. Also there is plenty of clicking and grinding when I do certain activities (cricket etc.) which indicates it is wear and tear. I used to have a very physical job in farming and I think it has caught up with me. I am also convinced that ADT gives rise to various aches and pains in all parts of the body, and as long as they don't persist for more than a few minutes, I am happy to ignore them.

User
Posted 27 Jul 2019 at 07:28

Dear BabyChambu,

Regards,

Bose

User
Posted 01 Aug 2019 at 08:07

Dear All,

can you please tell me the symptoms if psa rise again . Is there is any changes in body any kind of pain currently some one suffering from stage 4 prostate cancer because oncologist prescribed every 3 month checkup any kind of changes in body ????? how would we know that our psa is rising once again

Regards,

Bose

Edited by member 01 Aug 2019 at 08:11  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 01 Aug 2019 at 08:39

Bose,

In my experience every single time that my husband’s PSA was on the rise, he had symptoms. Increased pain being the main one and sometimes,  change in the way he was feeling generally. If it was a significant rise it has always been very obvious.

hope this helps

Devonmaid 

User
Posted 01 Aug 2019 at 09:14

Dear Devonmaid,

Every thing will be fine .

When things are Darkest , God shines his light the brightest.

Regards,

Bose

User
Posted 02 Aug 2019 at 12:33
Dear All,

Yesterday 1-8-2019 , My father has done with ultrasound of prostate gland. Size is normal . My question is increase in size of prostate gland means PSA is rising. if prostate size is normal it means psa is not rising.

Regards,

Bose

User
Posted 02 Aug 2019 at 12:53
It doesn't work like that. The prostate can stay the same size but the cancer can be spreading in the bones or lymph nodes.

You fix too much on individual things instead of asking the right questions of your dad's doctors. The PSA isn't the actual problem, it is an indicator of how active the cancer is. The pain isn't the actual problem, it could be an indicator that the cancer is active. The size of the prostate isn't the actual problem, it is a side effect of prostate cancer that can make urination difficult. But one thing does not automatically mean another and nor can one thing be used to rule out something else. Your dad's doctors should be using all of the information to monitor him and judge whether the cancer is being controlled.

User
Posted 03 Aug 2019 at 07:03
Dear LynEyre,

Today My father psa result come last time my father psa is 0.2 now 0.11 (2-8-2019) . Should i worried for this .

Regards,

Bose

User
Posted 03 Aug 2019 at 08:01
Bose

Do you ask the doctors your questions before you ask them here?

User
Posted 03 Aug 2019 at 08:38
Dear Prostate pete,

schedule a meeting with oncologist for next week.

Regards,

Bose

User
Posted 05 Aug 2019 at 11:43
Dear All,

(PET SCAN ) is necessary after 1 year if psa is undetectable for ex (psa 0.11) to see Cancer cells is active or not .

Regards

Bose

User
Posted 05 Aug 2019 at 13:11
No Bose, a scan would usually be done only if they thought the treatment had failed and dad was showing some unusual symptoms. If the PSA is staying low, they are unlikely to offer extra scans.

User
Posted 05 Aug 2019 at 13:17

Dear LynEyre,

My Father psa is 0.11 undetectable But pain in shoulder especially in sleeping time at night should they offer scan. One thing more IF PSA is undetectable cancer cells may be active ????? and what is unusual symptoms like this ????? for ex 

Regards,

Bose

Edited by member 05 Aug 2019 at 13:25  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 06 Aug 2019 at 00:03
You ask the same questions over and over no matter how many times you get a reply.

1. There is no certainty that the shoulder pain has anything to do with his cancer, it might be caused by something else entirely.

2. 0.11 is not undetectable, although it is very low

3. The hormone treatment is keeping his PSA low so there shouldnt be much cancer cell activity

User
Posted 06 Aug 2019 at 10:56
Dear LynEyre,

Thanks for your response .

You solve my query......

Regards,

Bose.

User
Posted 26 Aug 2019 at 10:27
Dear All,

My father is suffering from shoulder pain when he lying down on bed current psa is 0.11 . Oncologist said pain is caused due to increase in diabetics he suggested to take painkiller for 1 week your pain should be controlled when he take painkillers (dolo 650 mg) pain can be controlled now he is not taking any painkiller pain get worse in night but he managed to sleep because we can do massage in his shoulder by oil and taking hot bag due to pain he feel weak what should i do know we wil go for psma pet scan . oncologist suggest us for doing psma pet scan not for shoulder pain but for routine checkup . He told us we can do psma pet scan every year to see cancer cells is under control . pls suggest me

Regards,

Bose

User
Posted 26 Aug 2019 at 11:43
What you should do is talk to your doctor
User
Posted 26 Aug 2019 at 12:49

Maybe he should see an Orthopaedic Consultant who can check if it is a condition not related to cancer as there are many reasons for shoulder pain. They can do scans etc He / she may be able to rule out cancer being the cause. I haven't heard of diabetes being a cause but I am no expert.

I think you have been advised many times before about this but as Lyn says you keep asking the same questions. If shoulder pain is your father's only symptom many might consider him a lucky man. 

Regards

Ann

User
Posted 26 Aug 2019 at 14:22
Asking the same question over and over again isn't going to change the answer.

User
Posted 20 Sep 2019 at 23:01

Hi, this may just confuse the issue but as with so much of this cancer stuff it is rarely straightforward at least not in my experience. Having been off ADT for two years following RP, radiotherapy and three and a half years on ADT my psa decided to rise (early May). An eight week wait , risen some more, back to the urologist and cholene pet scan. A metastatic cancer site was found in my right scapular. Referred on to the oncology SABR team and another ct scan which showed that the bone met was 6.5 cm in each direction which shook me a bit especially as it was at the limit of what was treatable. I had the SABR treatment last week but it will be 3 months before the follow up scan which may prove a long wait. The pain element is where the story gets fuzzy. Around March time I was getting some shoulder twinges which I put down to a work injury, I work as a landscape gardener albeit semiretired. This gradually worsened until a visit to my GP and rotator cuff injury/damage was the diagnosis and a course of Naproxen anti inflamatories restored movement and removed most of the discomfort. All fine !!  When I saw the urologist and mentioning the shoulder issues he felt that it was most unlikely that the cancer and the pain were linked. The oncology team felt that there was almost definitely a connection and have prescribed painkillers accordingly. So at the moment I am waiting to see what legacy of collateral damage to the shoulder I shall be left with, and of course what lies ahead prognosis wise. I have no idea if there was one shoulder problem or two but inevitably it's the cancer that takes centre stage.

Never boring or predictable this cancer journey

All the best    Nigel

User
Posted 21 Sep 2019 at 09:45

Hello Neville,

Thank you for your post about shoulder pain. I also have metastasis in scapula. May I ask where you had the SABR treatment? Was it Cyberknife where a giant robot is used or was the linear accelerator on a gantry? I had a metastasis at T12 which had grown so as to threaten my spinal cord. I had separation surgery initially to protect the spinal cord from the radiothereapy and ablate some of the metastasis. I have just finished 5 sessions of Cyberknife at RMH Fulham Rd. I asked the technicians about Cyberknife to scapula, they told me it was rare as the metastasis is usually too big and scapula moves too much. 

Initially I thought the pain was probably caused by a rotator cuff injury but it turned out to be metastasis. I want to persuade my doctors to consider SABR to my scapula but I don't know the restrictions on it's use. Does the treatment have to be in relation to a oligometastasis and what is the size criteria? 

Best wishes Simon Haring.