Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Rising PSA - overwhelmed with worry

User
Posted 25 Jul 2019 at 22:52

Hi All

I am a 54 yr old male and before Oct 2017 I was ignorant with respect to PSA and the risks of prostate cancer .

i passed a stone in Oct 2017  and private consultant suggested I have a PSA test which resulted in the following:

Nov 2017 - I see private consultant who through CT scan discovered I have kidney cysts (one was of concern) and elevated PSA of 4.0. He wasn’t overly concerned with PSA as suspected this was caused by passing of a stone (my father also suffered from kidney stones)

Jan 2018 - Return repeat PSA dropped from 4.0 to 3.18

March 2018 -MRi confirms kidney cyst is of no concern

Sept 2018- return repeat PSA which had increased from 3.18 to 4.20 . As a consequence, referred for MRi of prostate

End Sept 2018- results of MRi clear of any tumours etc.. other than a benign nodule on ride side of prostate

Nov 2018 - meet with GP who consults with NHS urologist and suggests we repeat PSA tests through NHS in Q2 2019 but to Take 10days of antibiotics immediately before test (Ciprofloxacin)

April 2019 Repeat PSA test via NHS increase from 4.20 to 5.73. 

July 2019 (today) visited an NHS one stop clinic where I was expecting a conclusion one way or the other. Although only had a DRE and PSA test with result to follow next week . Oddly enough I had the PSA blood test after the DRE which I thought wasn't advised . The urologist worried me more so this time round as he said it's 50/50 and that if my PSA stays the same or higher I should have a biopsy 

I am no worried sick and wish I'd carried on privately as I would have reached a conclusion by now .

I have been totally consumed by this over that past 2 years and see no end to it and now fear the worst.

Any advice/experiences greatly appreciated 

Tony

User
Posted 26 Jul 2019 at 09:40

Hello Tony,

Your PSA is raised for a 54 year old but as Andrew mentioned PSA is unreliable in itself and can be raised due to other things going on rather than PCa. However, it is good to keep it under review and press for a reason why it is elevated.

When I started out on my journey, my PSA was 4.0 and my DRE was negative. I remember the urologist saying there was a 25% chance that I could have PCa and 75% not. Did I want to wait 6 months and repeat the PSA test (it wouldn't make a difference either way) or have a biopsy. I chose the latter and found I was in the 25%. Sh!T happens, but only to a few!

Flexi

User
Posted 26 Jul 2019 at 10:10
Thanks Andrew and Flexi,

I guess I am just exhausted with worry and hoped the one stop clinic would have given me a closure one way or the other . I now have to wait until next week for PSA which given passed trend it will have gone up and biopsy in sept as way with family in August .., that's gonna be a great holiday !!!

I regret having had the PSA blood test after the DRE as I will question and doubt the results next week

Kindest Tony

User
Posted 26 Jul 2019 at 12:21
I had a PSA test an hour after an orgasm (I didn’t know it was naughty then), and it increased my PSA from around sixteen-odd to around seventeen-odd. Just less than 1 point.

Don’t get fixated on PSA numbers!

Cheers, John.

User
Posted 26 Jul 2019 at 14:30

hi

why were you prescribed 10 days of ciprofloxacin.  ?

did you have symptoms of infection ?

this a.b. has warnings of its use in  USA..

10% variance on reading at most due to any prostate 'activity' .  won't effect overall picture at all.

Did you not get PIRAD explanation of MRI ?  ie  were results given to you.

see what next test brings.  usually you see an accelerated trend.  Not enough data in your case.  as 1 has reduced anyway.  Actual value is a poor indicator.

Have the best hol. ever.

I wasn't sure from your post if you were going to fret.  

Edited by member 26 Jul 2019 at 14:35  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 26 Jul 2019 at 16:51

Thanks for the reply at the time of the MRI  I was overjoyed as it was multiparametric MRI and I was advised that the radiologist had no concern/doubt . However I was advised to return for a further PSA test .

it was my GP who suggested I go for test under NHS .

The antibiotics just before last test was to get rid of any infection in case that was the underlying cause . I'd be interested to know what the US warning were 

Thanks a lot really appreciate it 

Tony

User
Posted 26 Jul 2019 at 17:30

hi Tony. 

Google cipro. 

generic background https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-018-03267-5

I knew nothing about side effect until about 3 yrs ago.  just browsing. I take no meds and apart from RALP meds used, some PDE5  I have had hardly any drugs over 64yrs.  

I'm not anti med    ! I'm fortunate to have been very healthy.    Seems odd for a GP to simply prescribe if no evidence of infection.    

I assume it's pure coincidence I had severe Achilles tendinitis after playing indoor football.  Both tendons and I was unable to walk up or down stairs without  severe pain for 3 weeks   I walk and cycle a little. Not unfit.    It took me nearly 1 yr to get 100% recovered.  

Coincidence I feel, as I'm aging obviously..

I only had 2 cipro tabs. 1 pre bio. and 1 on day.

Enjoy  your break .  

Edited by member 26 Jul 2019 at 17:36  | Reason: Not specified