I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

a friend

User
Posted 27 Jul 2019 at 11:11

On prostap with plenty of hot flushes talking to a friend with same He 1 prosap done by different nurse did not feel right and after a week no hot flushes for 3 months until the next injection 1 week after that injection the hot flushes started again  

User
Posted 27 Jul 2019 at 13:43

Maybe one injection didn't work.

I saw a reversal of a couple of expected side effects a few weeks after one of my Zoladex injections and wondered if it might not be working. I got a testosterone and PSA test done as a consequence, but they came back as expected. I think some symptoms do come and go a bit.

Your friend's case does seem remarkably tied to a specific injection though. It's too late now to find out if it worked or not, unless he had a testosterone test during that period, or maybe some PSA tests before, during and after that period.

I always book the injection appointment with the same nurse. She knows what she's doing. The others probably do too, but I know this one does.

User
Posted 27 Jul 2019 at 13:46
It could have been injected incorrectly, or stored incorrectly beforehand. Or it could have been from a bad batch - members who have regular testosterone monitoring during HT have occasionally posted here about side effects dropping & PSA rising after one injection and then re-stabilising.
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard
User
Posted 28 Jul 2019 at 10:35

Friend says he thinks the injection went into the muscle not just under the skin.  his PSA went from 0.02 -0.05 is hoping the next test will be down again not a lot but still up and its just a bit disturbing with thoughts of will it do any longer lasting damage

User
Posted 28 Jul 2019 at 10:46

If it went into the muscle, the likelihood is that the dose would have been absorbed more quickly, 'burned brighter' then faded earlier. The reason for 'under the skin' is to delay absorption so that it lasts the full three months (and a bit more, to cover the rise of the next dose.

User
Posted 28 Jul 2019 at 10:49
With a PSA like that, he is worrying about nothing.
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard
User
Posted 14 Aug 2019 at 17:19

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member

If it went into the muscle, the likelihood is that the dose would have been absorbed more quickly, 'burned brighter' then faded earlier. The reason for 'under the skin' is to delay absorption so that it lasts the full three months (and a bit more, to cover the rise of the next dose.

The one I had yesterday was quite deliberately shot into my arm muscle, and thinking back, all of them have been.  I know my uncle has his in the stomach which I presume is "under the skin".  I wasn't aware that there is any potential difference in absorption, mainly because I've been sweating for England since day one, and it seems to be working (from 62 in April '18 down to 0.5 last week).

User
Posted 14 Aug 2019 at 17:53
It depends on the hormone Stew. Prostap is given under the skin or into a muscle, usually the arm, belly or bum. Zoladex mustn't go into muscle and is always given in the belly. Prostap is given every month or 3 months; Zoladex must be given every 28 days or 84 days.

If you are on Prostap, the nurse should change the injection site every so often.

It is essential that the nurse who gives hormone injections knows the difference between the two. Correct storage is also crucial.