I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Can PSA drop without treatment?

User
Posted 04 Aug 2019 at 16:24

I had the 1st of my  3 monthly PSA Blood Test since I got diagnosed and placed on active surverlance .

My results were suprisingly low compared to 3 months ago.

My PSA dropped from 4.02 in April to 3.3 when checked last week.

Nurse said it's weird without treatment but that the good thing is that it isn't going up so they going to do another one in 3 months time so they can get a feel for what's going on

Is this normal as apparently PSA can fluctuate.

User
Posted 04 Aug 2019 at 18:40
Not sure about exact levels , but cycling prior to a psa test can raise levels , so can sex / ejaculation / anal sex etc. Is it possible you weren’t warned of this and that the prior reading was affected ??
User
Posted 04 Aug 2019 at 19:10

Horse riding was also given as an example in a leaflet I saw. I guess anything that puts pressure/vibration/shock through the perineum.

Some other causes of raised PSA that can go away are infections of urinary tract or prostate.

I don't think PSA raised by prostate cancer can drop significantly without treatment, or at least, I can't imagine what the mechanism would be.

User
Posted 04 Aug 2019 at 21:57

hi Bob

Keep getting 3 monthly PSA and note results.  2 data points as you know show little.  Good news is you are in control and early warning.   My brother  at one point had been PSA 18 and prior to RT was 3.51.

I assume yours were done at same lab.

Regards

Gordon

Edited by member 04 Aug 2019 at 21:59  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 06 Aug 2019 at 18:02

Thanks for your comments

I would keep my fingers crossed till the next time 👍

User
Posted 06 Aug 2019 at 22:42
Mine went up from 4.6 to 7 in 3 months. In the following month it then went down to 5.5. Then the next 3 months saw it rise by just 0.1.

Not sure what was going on but everything is being carefully watched and no intervention is needed so far.

User
Posted 07 Aug 2019 at 09:44
I have been on AS for more than 6 years with regular PSA tests. During this time my PSA has varied between 3.3 and 8.2, recently quite stable around 5.0 - 5.5. ( all values in my profile ). My urologist is not concerned and told me that some patients have varying PSA.

Alan