I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Understanding

User
Posted 12 Aug 2019 at 06:32

Hi everyone, hope you are all well. Joined yesterday as my dad has been diagnosed. He's 65 years old, very fit and healthy, had no symptoms but was advised by a friend to request the PSA blood test as he had recently been diagnosed. PSA came back at 59, had numerous ct scans, mri scans and bone tests done. Finally been given a Gleason grade 6/7 and also has enlarged lymph nodes in his chest which they can't explain, as all scans suggest no spreading. He is currently undergoing hormone treatment and due to start 8 weeks of radiotherapy at the end of september. I guess I'm just asking what it all means....is the outlook positive? Are enlarged lymph nodes common even though all clear on scans? Thank you in advance.

User
Posted 12 Aug 2019 at 11:12

Hi Leanne,

Do yourself and your Dad a favour and download or order by post (I prefer the hard copy) the comprehensive information pack called the ‘Tool Kit’ from PCUK. It will explain many things. Link below.

Best of luck.

Cheers, John.

https://prostatecanceruk.org/prostate-information/our-publications/publications/tool-kit?_ga=2.206109653.795867346.1564408880-1013787081.1564408880

Edited by member 12 Aug 2019 at 11:13  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 12 Aug 2019 at 11:24

Thanks John, I've just ordered a hard copy.

Leanne

User
Posted 12 Aug 2019 at 11:50
His outlook seems positive at the moment; they would not be proposing radiotherapy (RT) if they thought his cancer was incurable. I would hope that they scan his chest again when he has been on the hormones for a while but before they start the RT; if they are still enlarged that would confirm that whatever is causing them to be enlarged has nothing to do with his prostate cancer. If they reduce, the oncologist may change the treatment plan though.
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 12 Aug 2019 at 12:06

Hi, thanks for that. My dad seems very positive about it all. I don't understand it enough to really know, so your reply is helpful. At the moment they can't explain the enlarged lymph nodes in his chest and said they may have been enlarged all his life. All the information available is quite overwhelming and I just want a better understanding. 

Thank you, leanne