I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Husband psa was high at his physical

User
Posted 14 Sep 2019 at 02:46

Mu husband is one 51 and had a physical a few weeks ago. His psa came back at 25 but a DRE was ok (according to gp) was given referral to urologist. Had second psa that came back at 24 (3 weeks after first) and is now being sent for an MRI (in 3 weeks). How worried should we be? Is there any other reason psa would be this high? 

I will also state that 2 years ago at a physical his psa came back high (I don’t remember number and my husband totally blew off doing any follow up). 

Also so what can he expect at an mri (we are in us so may be different?) 

User
Posted 14 Sep 2019 at 18:23
Unless you suffer from claustrophobia, an MRI scan is a complete non-event. Nothing touches you and you don't feel anything. The machine is a long hollow cylinder into which you're slid on a moving table. The machine moves you around while different scans are taken. It's VERY noisy, so you'll be given headphones to wear. The whole process will probably take about 30-60 minutes.
User
Posted 14 Sep 2019 at 19:13

Don't expect to get a diagnosis straightaway.The person doing the scan will not give you any information about the result. It will take a few days at least before your consultant gets back to you. There can be quite a wait because the MRI machines are very busy. Take a book.