I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

PSA and tests mean not yet signed off by consultant

User
Posted 16 Sep 2019 at 12:38

Aged 55 now, story started like many with a slightly high PSA of 3.9 for my age.

Had mpMRI which was normal and subsequent PSA was 4.1 and had TP biopsy which also came back as normal.

6 months later and PSA check was 7.1 so consultant says he won't release me until that PSA drops a bit but having 'passed' those 2 tests, highly unlikely anything sinister, but not impossible biopsy missed something at the back of the prostate.

Feel extremely relaxed quite honestly and lucky I guess the consultant is so thorough. As he said, even with the slim chance of something being missed, the PSA would be many times higher if something very bad was establishing itself.

User
Posted 16 Sep 2019 at 13:05

Yes good that you are relaxed about it but very wise I think to keep an eye on that PSA. Did they say you have an enlarged prostate which may very well account for your PSA level?

I would keep with the PSA Tests. In the absence of an infection or BPH your urologist may consider another biopsy if it continues to rise. 

Best wishes

Ann

User
Posted 16 Sep 2019 at 13:14
Yes, go for PSA tests every four to six months and request another mpMRI within a year or two.

Best of luck.

Cheers, John.
User
Posted 16 Sep 2019 at 15:20
Hi John/Ann,

Yes he said that it probably is slight prostatitis however if it continues to rise he may well do another MRI in a few months and ask them to focus on areas not included in the original scan and biopsy.

If need be he'd do another TP but only if the numbers keep going up.

He's a very respected urologist down here in Kent so I feel at ease I guess.
User
Posted 16 Sep 2019 at 18:34

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member
As he said, even with the slim chance of something being missed, the PSA would be many times higher if something very bad was establishing itself.

Don't take your eye off the ball though - regular PSA tests and another biopsy within a year if the PSA stays high. My husband had a PSA of 3.1 and a clear scan but it had spread into his bladder. Si (who died yesterday) had a PSA of 5.7 and extensive bone mets ... there are a couple of rare prostate cancers that don't show well on scans and / or don't produce much PSA.  

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard
User
Posted 16 Sep 2019 at 20:13

Hi, yes definitely not going to be blase about anything, especially with what you say about your husband and the poor gentleman Si.

Hopefully, my scan too was clear, the fact that I had the TP biopsy also to be extra safe (which was also clear), it's safe to play the waiting game until hopefully until the consultant discharges me.

I presume your husband hadn't also been given the all clear from a biopsy as well before it spread to his bladder?