Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Rectal bleeding

User
Posted 20 Oct 2019 at 16:29

Hi, 

just joined as my 63 year old husband is due for a radical robotic prostatectomy next Thursday but last night had an episode of bright red blood after having his bowels open. I have tried to reassure him but he is now terrified that this means that the cancer has spread to his bowel. He had a prostatic biopsy about 6 weeks ago with very little bleeding in his urine and none from his bowels. The biopsy showed Gleason 9 (4+5) N0 M0. Has anyone else experienced this. He is due to see his consultant on Wednesday prior to his surgery the next day. Any help/advice gratefully received 

User
Posted 20 Oct 2019 at 19:37

What sort of biopsy, trus (back passage) or template / trans perennial.

Thanks Chris

User
Posted 20 Oct 2019 at 19:47
Trus
User
Posted 20 Oct 2019 at 22:43

I got the occasional incidence of this up to 5 months after the TRUS, if it was a large poo.

During that time, I also had a transperineal template biopsy, and got them to check it out during the procedure and there was a little scarring from the earlier TRUS. It's worth mentioning, but probably not something to worry about.

User
Posted 21 Oct 2019 at 08:24
Thankyou Chris
User
Posted 21 Oct 2019 at 10:09

Apollo 

I do vaguely recall having blood in the motions after my Trus biopsy but it was over 5 years ago. I have had recent rectal bleeding checked and had virtual ct colonoscopy but nothing like cancer was found, so I don't think you need to worry about that. Do you mention it to  on the consultant on Wednesday, hmm not sure on that one ? I do always tell my doctors the truth even if I have done something stupid.

Thanks Chris

User
Posted 21 Oct 2019 at 20:12

You can get false fears.  Just before my op I had severe hip pain, I thought it was bound to be spreading.  Then I woke 2 days before the op with some kind of lockjaw, something I'd never experienced before, it only lasted an hour.

Fortunately the nurse had told me that I'd have things happen and think it was cancer related when it wasn't, and that allayed it a little.  Although not completely as I asked a couple of times at post op clinics if bone pain was possible with a very low psa and was told the psa would have registered by now.   It's obviously arthritis now but it's a lot better.

I didn't want to mention my hip too much pre-op as such spread would stop my op.

User
Posted 05 Dec 2020 at 17:46

Hi Apollo

I hope all was sorted regarding your Husband.

Did you end up finding out what had caused the bleeding?

Thanks