I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

SpaceOAR thoughts

User
Posted 25 Oct 2019 at 02:11

I’ve posted in here before. Had HDR Brachytherapy two weeks ago and was supposed to start my EBRT on Monday but have postponed for two weeks because I’ve just accidentally found out about SpaceOAR which I have insisted on having first, hence the postponement. 

I’m concerned that I should have been offered it before the HDR Brachytherapy because it sounds from what I’ve read to be advisable so thought I’d put it on here so that others can consider it. 

User
Posted 25 Oct 2019 at 21:32
A) I don't think they can usually do SpaceOar with brachy and

B) SpaceOar is still only available privately or as part of a trial, and so only at a limited number of hospitals. For example, Leeds was offering SpaceOar as part of the trial but has withdrawn it.

Don't miss the optimal window for your EBRT waiting for something that might be unattainable.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 25 Oct 2019 at 22:29
I agree, Lyn. As I described in my treatment thread, I had SpaceOAR treatment authorised by my insurance company, but I was unable to find anywhere in NW England to have it done in a reasonable time. I opted not to delay my RT for it and that's a choice I'm comfortable with.

Best wishes,

Chris

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 25 Oct 2019 at 21:32
A) I don't think they can usually do SpaceOar with brachy and

B) SpaceOar is still only available privately or as part of a trial, and so only at a limited number of hospitals. For example, Leeds was offering SpaceOar as part of the trial but has withdrawn it.

Don't miss the optimal window for your EBRT waiting for something that might be unattainable.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 25 Oct 2019 at 22:29
I agree, Lyn. As I described in my treatment thread, I had SpaceOAR treatment authorised by my insurance company, but I was unable to find anywhere in NW England to have it done in a reasonable time. I opted not to delay my RT for it and that's a choice I'm comfortable with.

Best wishes,

Chris

User
Posted 25 Oct 2019 at 22:35

There is a hospital 20mins from me and they are doing it next week so my RT has only been postponed for one week. I found out about SpaceOAR accidentally and just wanted to put it out there in case it’s of use to others. Thanks for your comments. 

User
Posted 15 Jan 2020 at 08:39

Update. I was diagnosed last June Gleeson 3+4. Opted for HDR Brachytherapy followed by EBRT. Prior to the EBRT I also had SpaceOAR. I had the HDR Brachytherapy done on the NHS and the SpaceOAR and EBRT privately. 

I can’t say there was anything pleasant about any of the treatment but, two months down the line my only current symptoms are that weeing is ‘different’ but improving everyday, slight ED but also improving, sleep patterns messed up a bit but that’s my fault, and slightly sore tits from the hormone treatment, otherwise all good and not on any medication. 

First post treatment blood test yesterday and my PSA has gone from 14 to 0.9  this may spike again but all the signs are good.

There is hope guys  good luck  

User
Posted 15 Jan 2020 at 10:13
What type of HT are you on, Kevin? If it's bicalutimide, are you also on Tamoxifen to counteract breast growth? If not, ask your consultant for a prescription for it - it does help. If you're having private treatment, there shouldn't be any problem getting it.

In my case the Tamoxifen kept breast growth at bay for about a year, but then it started up with quite severe pain in the breast area (who knew that growing breasts hurt? I certainly didn't!). I had two sessions of RT to the breast buds at the start of December which stopped it in its tracks, although it's left me with a large circle of red skin around each nipple, which apparently can take a couple of months to fade (like sunburn).

Best wishes,

Chris

User
Posted 15 Jan 2020 at 10:44

It was verging on T3a but still contained within my prostate (on the verge of breaking out). 

User
Posted 15 Jan 2020 at 10:48

Hi Chris. I was on bicalutimide but only for six months so not currently on any medication. My consultant has said that the breast tissue and pain will gradually go away.