I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Tender Belly!

User
Posted 03 Dec 2019 at 10:57

Hi All, since my last post, I have had a further 2 PSA tests. 0.008 & 0.013, which the Oncologist is happy with. I have also been prescribed Tamoxifen 20mg 1 tablet per week to go with my Bicalutamide 150mg daily tablet. I am still getting pain in breast area although I only started Tamoxifen 3 weeks ago. I am 2 years post RT and my belly is bulging and very tender, it seems to be one great blob at the moment!! My pelvic area is also still very tender.

Has anyone out there had similar symptoms, and if so what's the remedy?

Look forward to replies, and hope that all Fellow Sufferers are coping well.

Barry

User
Posted 03 Dec 2019 at 13:43
Are you due to see the oncologist in the near future? Do you have an allocated PCa nurse? If not, make an appointment to see your GP - I would want him / her to check whether this is lymphodema caused by damage to the lymph nodes during treatment. Another possibility is that it is an allergic reaction or completely unrelated to your prostate ... but it needs checking out.
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard
User
Posted 03 Dec 2019 at 21:08

Regarding the Tamoxifen...

It takes around 2-3 months to build up the working concentration in your blood, so you might not see any improvement in just 3 weeks. (I think that could be solved with initial dose escalation, but that's not something that oncos ever do.) This is not a problem if you start the tamoxifen at same time as the bicalutamide, because the bicalutamide takes approximately same length of time before any signs of gynecomastia (breast growth/pain) are likely to appear, but if you only start taking tamoxifen in response to gynecomastia, it might take a while to start working.

1 x 20mg/week is half the recommended dose of 2 x 20mg/week for gynecomastia, so it might not be enough to have much effect.

Some peoples' livers don't like Tamoxifen, and a swollen tender abdomen could be an issue with the liver (although at only 20mg/week, I really doubt it). However, it might be worth asking for a blood test including full blood counts and liver function test, just to check. It's a good idea to request that after you've been on Tamoxifen for 3 months anyway, because usually there are no signs your liver doesn't like Tamoxifen.

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 03 Dec 2019 at 13:43
Are you due to see the oncologist in the near future? Do you have an allocated PCa nurse? If not, make an appointment to see your GP - I would want him / her to check whether this is lymphodema caused by damage to the lymph nodes during treatment. Another possibility is that it is an allergic reaction or completely unrelated to your prostate ... but it needs checking out.
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard
User
Posted 03 Dec 2019 at 21:08

Regarding the Tamoxifen...

It takes around 2-3 months to build up the working concentration in your blood, so you might not see any improvement in just 3 weeks. (I think that could be solved with initial dose escalation, but that's not something that oncos ever do.) This is not a problem if you start the tamoxifen at same time as the bicalutamide, because the bicalutamide takes approximately same length of time before any signs of gynecomastia (breast growth/pain) are likely to appear, but if you only start taking tamoxifen in response to gynecomastia, it might take a while to start working.

1 x 20mg/week is half the recommended dose of 2 x 20mg/week for gynecomastia, so it might not be enough to have much effect.

Some peoples' livers don't like Tamoxifen, and a swollen tender abdomen could be an issue with the liver (although at only 20mg/week, I really doubt it). However, it might be worth asking for a blood test including full blood counts and liver function test, just to check. It's a good idea to request that after you've been on Tamoxifen for 3 months anyway, because usually there are no signs your liver doesn't like Tamoxifen.