I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

6 Weeks post RP Follow Up meeting

User
Posted 05 Dec 2019 at 21:32

Had my 6 week follow up meeting this morning, the usual "how are you feeling"? opening. "great" was my reply😁My PSA is virtually undetectable, although I did query if that may be false because the blood test was taken 5 weeks post surgery & he agreed that it may skew the results a bit.

Then the conversation took a turn for the worse. It seems that the tumor was a lot larger than anticipated and in a more difficult area to get at. After Pathology, my Staging has been upgraded from T1c to T3b/ borderline T4, it has definitely spread to my seminal vesicles & possibly beyond. ( I'm not sure if I should now be moving to the advanced cancer group or not)

At the moment, he wants to resolve the issue of the leak in the urethra/bladder and get me catheter free before looking at the next stage of treatment with the Oncologists. I will be having another Cystogram in the next 2 weeks & then catheter removal before Christmas 🙏

On a positive note, he has OK'd me to drive (with the catheter in) so we've been out this afternoon & I feel fine👍👍

Cheers,  Steve

User
Posted 06 Dec 2019 at 01:18
Sorry about your news but hopefully oncologist will produce a successful plan. Seems sensible to attend to the leak before subjecting you to further cancer treatment.
Barry
User
Posted 06 Dec 2019 at 08:45

Steve

Sorry to hear the staging has been upgraded, hope the joint heals soon and you can get rid of the catheter. 

Take care thanks Chris.

User
Posted 06 Dec 2019 at 21:28

Sorry to read that Steve.  I just read your post of 11th October and the result seems to reflect what the surgeon said was possible.  I also noticed that seminal vesicle invasion is usually T3c.

You gave it a good shot but now could have radiotherapy.  You seem to be taking it well.  There are people on here who know more about adjuvent/salvage RT and seminal vesicles who may add more.

User
Posted 09 Dec 2019 at 12:46

Hi Steve

I am really sorry to read the fact that you still have a catheter to deal with bladder urethra leak and that that your ‘staging has been upgraded’ although I am confused as I thought seminal vesicles were removed as part of a RP?

Like you I am pleased that after a lot of over thinking of the different treatment options, decided to have RARP.  During the surgery the surgeon was not happy with the look of the lhs of the prostate and cut out some margin.  The histology has now established that the cancer had spread outside the capsule; something that was not evident from the MRI scan etc.  I am now in that same holding pattern of monitoring my PSA results; first in 4 weeks time.  Holding thumbs and praying that surgeon did get it all. 

I had considered Brachy which was one of two treatment options I had but apparently it may not have been successful as it is now clear that the cancer had spread outside the capsule.

Good luck mate and best wishes.

Grant60

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 06 Dec 2019 at 01:18
Sorry about your news but hopefully oncologist will produce a successful plan. Seems sensible to attend to the leak before subjecting you to further cancer treatment.
Barry
User
Posted 06 Dec 2019 at 08:45

Steve

Sorry to hear the staging has been upgraded, hope the joint heals soon and you can get rid of the catheter. 

Take care thanks Chris.

User
Posted 06 Dec 2019 at 10:15

OK, it's the morning after my upgraded diagnosis, the initial "Oh cr*p" reaction has passed & now is the time for reflection on previous decisions and looking at the future.

Do I regret having the RARP? No, not at all! It was the best shot at getting rid if the cancer. Even with all the issues I have had since the surgery, I know that the majority of the cancer has been removed.

Moving forward, I guess I'll be doing some more reading on the different treatments available & hopefully getting a better understanding of the options. The treatment I've received at RDH (and before that at King's Mill Hospital) has been excellent & I have no reason to think that will change. 

I'm so lucky that I had a "switched on" GP in July, otherwise this would probably never have been caught. Sometimes, it just makes me wonder... 

Take care.  Steve 

User
Posted 06 Dec 2019 at 21:28

Sorry to read that Steve.  I just read your post of 11th October and the result seems to reflect what the surgeon said was possible.  I also noticed that seminal vesicle invasion is usually T3c.

You gave it a good shot but now could have radiotherapy.  You seem to be taking it well.  There are people on here who know more about adjuvent/salvage RT and seminal vesicles who may add more.

User
Posted 09 Dec 2019 at 12:46

Hi Steve

I am really sorry to read the fact that you still have a catheter to deal with bladder urethra leak and that that your ‘staging has been upgraded’ although I am confused as I thought seminal vesicles were removed as part of a RP?

Like you I am pleased that after a lot of over thinking of the different treatment options, decided to have RARP.  During the surgery the surgeon was not happy with the look of the lhs of the prostate and cut out some margin.  The histology has now established that the cancer had spread outside the capsule; something that was not evident from the MRI scan etc.  I am now in that same holding pattern of monitoring my PSA results; first in 4 weeks time.  Holding thumbs and praying that surgeon did get it all. 

I had considered Brachy which was one of two treatment options I had but apparently it may not have been successful as it is now clear that the cancer had spread outside the capsule.

Good luck mate and best wishes.

Grant60