I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

To meat or not to meat

User
Posted 10 Dec 2019 at 06:20

i know that this subject has been debated many times on this site but I saw this report today.

personally been a lazy vegan (eat meat/dairy when out and Xmas!) for years now , guess this report says that’s a good thing .

https://healthunlocked.com/api/redirect?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.aarp.org%2Fhealth%2Fhealthy-living%2Finfo-2019%2Funderstanding-new-meat-guidelines.html

Dream like you have forever, live like you only have today Avatar is me doing the 600 mile Camino de Santiago May 2019

User
Posted 10 Dec 2019 at 11:59

I try and have 3-4 meat free days a week and mainly stick to small amounts of fish and chicken.

Found out the other day that makes me a trendy “Flexitarian” 😀

I do think vegan is a step too far. A balance with lots of fruit, veg, legumes, nuts etc. seems to make sense.

very interesting article, thanks.

Edited by member 10 Dec 2019 at 12:01  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 10 Dec 2019 at 12:01
We evolved as omnivores, and a balanced omnivorous diet is probably what's best for us. That shouldn't mean eating large amounts of red meat every day, though!

Cheers,

Chris
User
Posted 10 Dec 2019 at 13:16

I am tending to the flexitarian approach for a range of reasons varying from health through environmental and also animal welfare.

One approach we have taken is to spend the same amount (roughly) on meat as we did before but to greatly upgrade what we do eat in terms of provenance (grass fed beef from UK or Ireland for example). This reduces but not eliminates meat in our diet.

On a related topic, I attended a talk at our local surgery given by a GP who specializes in type 2 diabetes. The low carb approach she advocates sharply deviates from conventional wisdom as to what is appropriate in terms of Pca. Indeed she has a Twitter feed #fatismyfriend and advocates eating lots of dairy especially eggs, binning anything made in a factory like low fat spreads and, yes, eating meat.

Not easy is it?!!

User
Posted 10 Dec 2019 at 14:00
I have to agree, Andrew, she was rather evangelical. Her advice didn't chime, either, with that on the Diabetes UK website which is all about portion control, reducing sugar etc etc.
User
Posted 08 Jan 2020 at 21:54
This is why research in general has a whiff of the corrupt because there is more and more evidence that corporations bury negative results and only publish good ones.

In my mind, trials and research should be done independently and neutrally of the organisations commissioning the product and ALL results should be made public.
User
Posted 10 Jan 2020 at 15:14

As a T2 diabetic I have to say that restricting certain carbohydrates in the diet will certainly help with control of blood sugars, I have done this and monitored blood sugars carefully, sugar is a carb and carbs will become sugars in the body. This is the wrong forum to discuss this so I won't comment further.

I have been a pescatarian ( fish only) for 45 years, I still got heart valve and other heart problems, PCa, high blood pressure and T2 diabetes. I still don't eat meat but most other things in moderation.

John

Gleason 6 = 3+3 PSA 8.8 P. volume 48 cc Left Cores 3/3, Volume = 20% PSA 10.8 Feb '19 PSA 1.2

Jan '20 PSA 0.3 July '20 0.1 Jan. 21 < 0.1 Dec 21 <0.01 June '22 <0.01 April '23  <0.01

User
Posted 07 Mar 2020 at 14:58

First time I've checked the diet section, and thought I'd share some thoughts.

Last fall, I watched a very well-done documentary on NetFlix -- "The Game Changers".   It features the story of James Wilks, an English mixed martial arts fighter who was quite successful before getting injured and going on a quest to find the best diet for recovery and performance.   Executive producers include James Cameron, Arnold Schwarzenegger (who also is in the film).  Rather than hit you over the head with how bad meat and diary is for you,  it takes a different tack by looking at the best diet for optimal human performance.  Now it does go into the health issues and why meat is bad,  but the optimal performance angle is more positive and motivating.

I always understood that eating less meat is good for your health, and I've seen other documentaries before.  But this film really motivated me to make some changes and actually eat less meat and diary.    While there are biases in the film,  overall, it is a very well made and entertaining documentary.

It does talk about how there is so much conflicting information. But the best sources all agree eating less meat good.   Arnold is also very convincing.   He says if you tell someone don't eat meat, they will tell you "F - U" don't tell me how to live my life.  But if you say just try it one day per week.... then maybe the person will go meatless more than one day per week.

And aside from scientific studies (which support less meat and diary), there is no doubt that simply observing the free living populations of the world with the best health and longevity,  they are all populations that eat mostly plant based diets (they don't completely avoid meat,  but they eat far less than most in the Western world).   [Japanese diet, and Mediterranean diet being the most often quoted examples).

Check out the film.  It's quite good.

https://gamechangersmovie.com/the-film/

https://gamechangersmovie.com/benefits/optimizing-health/

Edited by member 07 Mar 2020 at 15:05  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 07 Mar 2020 at 18:15

My oh and I have been pretty much vegetarian for a while but as he is on chemo at the moment, his appetite wasn't that great until I reverted to a lovely roast beef dinner which has kick started an interest in food again. We eat  fish,  occasionally bacon and every few weeks some beef. Generally lots of fruit and veg and home made meals and cakes. Variety is important.

User
Posted 07 Mar 2020 at 19:40
Biased gobbledygook financed by rich vegan new scientists.

Truth is we all need to eat a varied diet with lots of fruit and veg. Excluding anyone group of foods is not helpful to anyone.