I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

PSA reduced from 13 to 8.9 with diet and exercise only!

User
Posted 03 Feb 2020 at 10:01

Some of you may remember I have a friend in his seventies who is Gleason 3+4, and who has been on active surveillance for five years. A self-made man, he is fortunate that he has been able to see five eminent consultants on on three continents and it was he who recommended me to Professor Whocannotbenamedhere.

He has followed a diet and exercise plan following a consultation at the famous Mayo Clinic in America, and remarkably his PSA has dropped from 13 to 8.9 and his active surveillance is thus ongoing. Here’s his recipe for success:

“Thought it would be helpful to pass on the results of my latest blood tests and the comments of my urologist.

Essentially, this time last year my PSA was 13 and my cancer appeared from the MRI to be growing slowly. 

I then visited the world famous Mayo Clinic in Florida, where I consulted a top cancer nutritionist there who has thousands of patients. Results have been positive for many and my experience so far supports this, as my latest PSA is down to 8.9 with no apparent increase in the tumour.

For your information the key factors in the diet/lifestyle are:

1 Strenuous exercise up to an hour a day - I have always kept fit but have doubled my daily exercise to include running four times a week and gym sessions the other three.

2 No sugar other than natural sugar 

3 No dairy products other than hard cheese 

4 No red meat 

5 Reduce bread other than sourdough 

6 Increase fruit, vegetables, nuts (especially walnuts and almonds) and take turmeric with black pepper.

7 16-8 hour fasting whereby you try and eat all your daily food in an 8 hour window.

I am in the wine business so it’s difficult to reduce my consumption of wine and I also love beer, but I have managed to reduce a little bit although no doubt my consumption is more than many, I never binge drink. 

Of course my very active surveillance will continue with another MRI and probable biopsy in May.”

User
Posted 03 Feb 2020 at 10:01

Some of you may remember I have a friend in his seventies who is Gleason 3+4, and who has been on active surveillance for five years. A self-made man, he is fortunate that he has been able to see five eminent consultants on on three continents and it was he who recommended me to Professor Whocannotbenamedhere.

He has followed a diet and exercise plan following a consultation at the famous Mayo Clinic in America, and remarkably his PSA has dropped from 13 to 8.9 and his active surveillance is thus ongoing. Here’s his recipe for success:

“Thought it would be helpful to pass on the results of my latest blood tests and the comments of my urologist.

Essentially, this time last year my PSA was 13 and my cancer appeared from the MRI to be growing slowly. 

I then visited the world famous Mayo Clinic in Florida, where I consulted a top cancer nutritionist there who has thousands of patients. Results have been positive for many and my experience so far supports this, as my latest PSA is down to 8.9 with no apparent increase in the tumour.

For your information the key factors in the diet/lifestyle are:

1 Strenuous exercise up to an hour a day - I have always kept fit but have doubled my daily exercise to include running four times a week and gym sessions the other three.

2 No sugar other than natural sugar 

3 No dairy products other than hard cheese 

4 No red meat 

5 Reduce bread other than sourdough 

6 Increase fruit, vegetables, nuts (especially walnuts and almonds) and take turmeric with black pepper.

7 16-8 hour fasting whereby you try and eat all your daily food in an 8 hour window.

I am in the wine business so it’s difficult to reduce my consumption of wine and I also love beer, but I have managed to reduce a little bit although no doubt my consumption is more than many, I never binge drink. 

Of course my very active surveillance will continue with another MRI and probable biopsy in May.”

User
Posted 03 Feb 2020 at 13:11

I am the person in question and although exercise is most definitely important,the crucial reason for the drop in PSA is my diet———at least according to my nutritionist and urologist.  Especially crucial is the 16-8 fast which is fairly easy to manage . It has been proven that fasting boosts the immune system .  I emphasise that there have been numerous examples of patients in America having a similar result to mine.  
Naturally,I am not claiming I am cured or that anyone else following this lifestyle plan will be,but the drop in PSA is very significant ,and can not be just a coincidence . 
As a matter of interest by BMI has reduced from 26.7 ( overweight) to 20.1 and a drop in weight of over 2 stones . I feel so much better,even if I may not look it 😀

cheers Keith 

User
Posted 03 Feb 2020 at 10:13

Strenuous exercise is known to slow PCa, and it makes a big difference to the length of time men stay on active surveillance before having to switch to active treatment. (Trials have been done on this.)

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 03 Feb 2020 at 10:13

Strenuous exercise is known to slow PCa, and it makes a big difference to the length of time men stay on active surveillance before having to switch to active treatment. (Trials have been done on this.)

User
Posted 03 Feb 2020 at 13:11

I am the person in question and although exercise is most definitely important,the crucial reason for the drop in PSA is my diet———at least according to my nutritionist and urologist.  Especially crucial is the 16-8 fast which is fairly easy to manage . It has been proven that fasting boosts the immune system .  I emphasise that there have been numerous examples of patients in America having a similar result to mine.  
Naturally,I am not claiming I am cured or that anyone else following this lifestyle plan will be,but the drop in PSA is very significant ,and can not be just a coincidence . 
As a matter of interest by BMI has reduced from 26.7 ( overweight) to 20.1 and a drop in weight of over 2 stones . I feel so much better,even if I may not look it 😀

cheers Keith 

User
Posted 04 Feb 2020 at 17:15

Well done it's encouraging news for anyone wanting to try that regime.   The exercise sounds the biggest hurdle.

Fasting has been shown to help improve some conditions.  There is a diet which you can use intermittently by a Dr Valter Longo that's supposed to give your body the impression it's fasting all the time.  A journalist in The Times, Jenni Russell swears by it for her long term condition which I think is Crohn's Disease.

I had surgery and am still undetectable but have taken up some of your suggestions as part of a healthier lifestyle to hopefully boost my immune system, and prevent being run down which is just a personal idea.  Although, except for alcohol, I've always had a fairly good diet. 

My fast is from 7pm to 8.30am except when I have one of the 2 drinking nights a week. 

Thanks for the information and good luck.

..........................................................................................................................................................

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/can-fasting-save-your-life-cdshkhmkg7h

'..... Longo believes that he has come up with an answer to these problems. He has devised a way of giving people all the benefits of fasting, with its regenerative, anti-ageing and anti-disease effects, without the intense physical stress. After decades of biochemical research, and eight years of experiments on humans, he has developed a five-day fast-mimicking diet (FMD).

The FMD is a five-day programme of bars, shakes and soups, all made from real food. Its published results show that it lowers the levels of the protein IGF-1 in the blood, which is a major biomarker for cancer and ageing. It lowers blood sugar, which reduces the risk of diabetes, and it lowers blood inflammation levels. Longo describes it as “truly rejuvenating”. Trials conducted over a year show that regular use of the FMD – perhaps twice a year for healthy people, once a month for the seriously sick or the obese – has a dramatic effect on health. Testers find it palatable and possible. He was expecting a dropout rate of 50 per cent; only 5 per cent didn’t complete it......'

................................................................................................................................................

'I think of my own doctors, who smile patiently at me when I say that in my case fasting’s been an apparent cure, and who explain that they can’t recommend it to anyone until they see clinical proof. I think of all the months and years I’ve wasted on the tedium of being ill, and of the millions of people who could be similarly liberated to have more joyful, longer lives if Longo is right. I think of the billions that governments will save if people can choose to fast instead of relying on hazardous, expensive drugs. And I hope that the health and medical establishments will take their fingers out of their ears and give this radical prophet the hearing and the resources he’s asking for.
.................................................................................................................................................
She also went to:
Jenni Russell was a guest of the Buchinger Wilhelmi clinic and took part in the 14-night Classic Light programme, which includes fasting provisions, a holistic programme and medical consultations (from £2,237). 

User
Posted 10 Jun 2022 at 10:41

Hello Keith

Your story thus far interests me .. I too am following a "Plant Based" lifestyle and so far its working

Any further info you can share now ?

Cheers

User
Posted 10 Jun 2022 at 16:06
Jim

My Grandfather smoked all his life drank like a fish and lived well into his nineties. That doesn't mean smoking doesn't increase the risk of lung cancer in particular but also other cancers and that drinking isn't bad for you.

I agree with you yes luck of the draw but believe however that you can help your odds by how you live.

Having said that I way up enjoyment versus risk and drink to much but exercise a lot and eat a very healthy almost pescaterian diet (if there is such a thing)

I don't mean to argue, just my opinion

Cheers

Bill

User
Posted 12 Jun 2022 at 12:40

If you do healthy things because you enjoy them that is good. If you find doing healthy things a chore then don't do them. I wouldn't be seen dead in a gym.

In the end we are all heading for death, so best to enjoy the scenic route rather than take the motorway.

Edited by member 13 Jun 2022 at 01:33  | Reason: Not specified

Dave