I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Brother worried about high PSA reading

User
Posted 05 Feb 2020 at 13:29

Hi there. I have done some reading up on PSA readings and how reliable they are / how they can be interpreted etc.

So I know for instance that because my brother has just recorded a PSA reading of 15 doesn't mean he has prostate cancer.

But he has had some urinary problems, and he has just gone googling and found some source that says readings >10 mean that there is a 50% chance of there being cancer present. Is this correct?

Other than that, he is concerned that his GP is not very pro-active. GP has told him to submit a urine sample and to have another blood test in 3 weeks' time. Presumably to re-check PSA level?

Is that a reasonable course of diagnostic action given my brother's situation, or should there be something else going on?

Thank you.

User
Posted 05 Feb 2020 at 13:51

It's a reasonable course of action. Elevated PSA certainly doesn't automatically mean prostate cancer, and the GP will want to check for a urinary tract infection. How old is your brother?

Best wishes,

Chris

Edited by member 05 Feb 2020 at 13:53  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 05 Feb 2020 at 13:54

Chris he is 65. The googling has panicked him - as it does.

Edited by member 05 Feb 2020 at 13:55  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 05 Feb 2020 at 16:20
The thing about prostate cancer is that it typically has no symptoms at all. Your brother may well have prostate cancer - most men his age do have it - but it's almost certainly not the cause of the peeing problems, and if he does have it, it doesn't necessarily mean that it needs any treatment. At present it sounds as if the GP is trying to find the reason for the peeing problem rather than rushing into cancer diagnosis which may be unnecessary.

Prostate cancer occurrence goes pretty much in line with age, so around 60% of men have it at age 60, 70% at age 70, and so on. Most will never know that they have it, and it won't kill them. It's a very slow-growing thing and a delay of a few weeks will do no harm.

Best wishes,

Chris

User
Posted 05 Feb 2020 at 20:43

I would be asking for a referral to a urologist with a PSA of 15.

Ido4

User
Posted 05 Feb 2020 at 21:14

As would I, but it's common sense to check for a UTI first, I think.

Chris

Edited by member 05 Feb 2020 at 21:39  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 06 Feb 2020 at 09:38

I agree Chris, better to discount UTI first.

Ido4

User
Posted 06 Feb 2020 at 12:52

Hi again - first thanks for all the kind replies.

He does have a history of UTIs - so maybe that's why they want to rule that out first? Although presumably, even if PSA is being raised by that, that doesn't mean it's not also being raised by other things?

Rectal examination has been mentioned as next step. I thought it odd it wasn't done there and then?

User
Posted 06 Feb 2020 at 13:08
True, but if the tests show that he does have a UTI, his GP will probably prescribe an antibiotic such as ciprofloxacin and then repeat the PSA test in a few weeks.

Sounds as if the treatment thus far is entirely reasonable.

Best wishes,

Chris