I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Hernia and Anal fissure after hormone, brachytherapy and radiotherapy.

User
Posted 13 Feb 2020 at 12:08

I completed my treatment in December 2019 and do have other health issues which may have made my situation unique.

Does anyone have an anal fissure or hernia as a result of their treatment (non-surgical).

I was diagnosed eventually after months of pain with an anal fissure and currently waiting for a Botox procedure which is being delayed due to my recent radiotherapy.

I also have a sharp pain in my groin on the right side especially if I cough. My urology nurse suspected it may be a hernia and advised me to see my GP which I did and although he didn't find anything he has arranged a scan.

Could these conditions have resulted because of the examinations, procedures and treatments I have undergone over the last 12 months especially the ones that use the anal passage to access treatment such as the biopsy and brachytherapy procedures.

I have also undergone a colonoscopy in the same time period for a non related gastrointestinal medical condition.

Edited by member 13 Feb 2020 at 13:29  | Reason: Didn't mention suspected hernia.

User
Posted 13 Feb 2020 at 18:48

Hernia is not related. (Can happen as a result of surgery. If you have one before surgery, they will often fix it during PCa surgery because that's easy to do at that point.)

Where does the anal fissure go to? If it's to urethra (although that's more likely to be a rectal fissure), then it's probably due to the brachytherapy. If it's to the outside, then it's probably not related, unless you ended up with a skin infection around the anus as a result of the external beam radiotherapy (which is not unheard of).

User
Posted 15 Feb 2020 at 12:26

Prior to my radiotherapy the urology nurse I saw said that they were good at causing damage to the bowel and bladder(her words).

The suspected hernia may not be directly connected to the radiotherapy but some damage is to be expected and  my severe cough may have caused the hernia in a already weakened area.

The fissure became apparent a short time after my biopsy procedure and as continued to cause severe rectal pain over the several months I have been receiving treatment.