Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Routine hospital appointments

User
Posted 02 Apr 2020 at 18:05

Hi all

just wondering if routine Oncology appointments are still going ahead at the moment?

I have been told today that my stoma nurse appointment for 14th April has been changed to a telephone consultation, which I'm not too fussed about as all is well there. 

Obviously I still want to have my blood test, which is due the Friday before my Monday appointment, and my Tuesday Prostap jab.  Does anyone know if hospital phlebotomy teams are seeing outpatients?

It's the PSA and other blood counts that I get nervous about...

User
Posted 04 May 2020 at 17:15
Good news excuseme. Just worth pointing out that while it wasn't so crucial to you, going to a private company is not a great idea for men who are monitoring their PSA over a period of time. This is because different labs will have different assays, particularly at very low levels, so there would need to be a series of PSA tests from the new lab over time before any reliable assessment could be made of apparent stability, velocity, etc.
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard
User
Posted 04 May 2020 at 17:40
I get a blood test appointment at a local chemist and I get the PSA (and other blood) results on my iPad within 24-48 hours. Is this unique to the Coventry & Warwickshire University Health Trust?

If this is not you, ask why not?

Our Health Secretary says too many people have been frightened away from our NHS by his propaganda instilling fear of the plague, but nevertheless he says it is still open for business. So if you are due oncology consultations and or therapies, please chase them up and don’t be a vicarious victim of Covid 19!

Cheers, John.
User
Posted 04 May 2020 at 23:18

Good luck with your husband’s TRUS results Lexi26.

Ange

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 03 Apr 2020 at 16:27

Blood tests are still being done at my local hospital, I had my latest tests done at my GP’s surgery, they said to arrive as near to time as possible to avoid contact with other people there.  My oncology appointment is next week and they’ve contacted me to say it will be by telephone as near to my original appointment time as they could.

Arthur

User
Posted 03 Apr 2020 at 16:48
Just had my telephone appointment from the Royal Marsden put back 6 weeks because of shortage of doctors. I had a PSA test at my local hospital which showed no increase over the previous value which I think must have contributed to that decision.I was in line for a re-staging if it had increased (again).
User
Posted 04 Apr 2020 at 07:10

My OH needed blood tests for an appointment at CXH, London on April 9th - now phone call. We're currently looking after a family member who is shielding in Devon. He contacted their GP practice & told them what was needed. They registered him, did the tests last Thurs &  emailed the results to him on Mon. Thankfully PSA is still <0.01 at 22 months post RP. Good luck to you gents needing tests & I hope the results are favourable, it's always such an anxious time.

Abigail

User
Posted 04 May 2020 at 02:22

First time poster. Rad Prostatectomy August 2019. First post op blood test showed undetectable PSA. I was due a further blood test last month (April) but it was postponed because of Covid virus. Subsequently I contacted a private lab who did a blood test for me. It was all done by post. They sent me a kit which enabled me to extract the right amount of blood from a finger which was returned to them in a sterile vial. Results in only 2 days. Thankfully very good result. Cost me £50. Sent a copy of lab report to my NHS urology department.  They phoned me and said very happy with result.. I know some folk can't afford £50 for a private blood test but if you can, well worth to be proactive.

User
Posted 04 May 2020 at 14:54

Hi Abigail,

Great result for your OH. As you say, it is a very anxious time waiting for tests. My husband Keith was due a CT Scan on 30th March, to check on possible cancer spread to hip/pelvis, which was postponed due to Covid, but has just heard he will be having scan on Weds at a local private hospital via the NHS. 

Hope everyone’s tests can go ahead and good luck with your results.

Ange

User
Posted 04 May 2020 at 17:15
Good news excuseme. Just worth pointing out that while it wasn't so crucial to you, going to a private company is not a great idea for men who are monitoring their PSA over a period of time. This is because different labs will have different assays, particularly at very low levels, so there would need to be a series of PSA tests from the new lab over time before any reliable assessment could be made of apparent stability, velocity, etc.
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard
User

My husband had his TRUS today after it was cancelled 5wks ago due to COVID19. He was told the results will be given via a video telephone call 🙏🏼🤞🏼

User
I get a blood test appointment at a local chemist and I get the PSA (and other blood) results on my iPad within 24-48 hours. Is this unique to the Coventry & Warwickshire University Health Trust?

If this is not you, ask why not?

Our Health Secretary says too many people have been frightened away from our NHS by his propaganda instilling fear of the plague, but nevertheless he says it is still open for business. So if you are due oncology consultations and or therapies, please chase them up and don’t be a vicarious victim of Covid 19!

Cheers, John.
User
Posted 04 May 2020 at 23:18

Good luck with your husband’s TRUS results Lexi26.

Ange

User
Posted 05 May 2020 at 07:57

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member

No, certainly not unique. My treatment is looked after by the Clatterbridge Cancer Centre on the Wirral. Blood test done by the nurse at my GP's practice. Results available online either later that day or the next day.

Best wishes,

Chris