I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

T3a locally advanced prostatectomy?

User
Posted 27 Apr 2020 at 17:19

Hi I am 54 and after a few scans (see my profile) have been diagnosed as locally advanced T3a NOMO Gleason 9 (4+5)

Was offered RT but I decided on RP.

I am not sure if made right choice and I am looking for someone with the same diagnosis as me to share their experiences. 

Thanks John (Stella)

User
Posted 27 Apr 2020 at 19:02
Have they said whether there will be a delay with the op? If so, have they offered you hormone treatment in the meantime? Have they said that if you have the op you will also need adjuvant RT or are they going to see what happens after the surgery?
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard
User
Posted 27 Apr 2020 at 19:39

John,

No one else can answer that question other than you. I can flag up things I would consider, but your considerations are unlikely to be the same.

You can plug your diagnosis into nomograms to find out the likelihood of a RP working first time. You haven't given enough detail (such as PSA at diagnosis).

One research project I looked at compared RP results against the 3 high risk criteria:
PSA >= 20 at diagnosis,
Stage >= T3a,
Gleason >= 8.

The more of these that apply, the less likely the RP is to cure, and hence need salvage RT. Having both procedures generates both sets of side-effects, and increases chances of ED even more which was of concern to me. I had requested RP right from the start (out of ignorance at the time), but this did mean the MDT kept it on the table, and always reported back on it as one option even though they generally recommended something else. In my case, RP wouldn't have been nerve sparing and it would have required adjuvant RT, which wrote it off as a choice for me.

I went for RT, which was 8-9 months ago, a choice I don't regret. No incontinence or ED from the external beam radiotherapy, although I also had HDR brachytherapy as a combined treatment and I did get temporary ED and a little incontinence for a few weeks after that, but all working fine for some time now. Can't eat as much fibre as I was before. I'm still on hormone therapy which comes with a number of side effects, but it's not a big deal for me - it is for some people. You have also got to try it out, so you have some idea the effect on you.

Age is a factor too, and at 57, I was on the young side for RT, and you even more so.

Anyway, just some thoughts that went through my mind, but might not apply to you.

Edited by member 27 Apr 2020 at 19:40  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 27 Apr 2020 at 22:07

Hi John, I am nearly the same age as you with a near identical diagnosis, but 24 months ahead of you in the treatment. G4+5 T3N0M0 PSA 25ish (it was different on 3 tests), 95% cancer on biopsy. I don't know if I was T3a, T3b they never said.

After the first MRI, but before full diagnosis, surgery was mentioned, and I was warned that adjuvant RT would almost certainly be required to deal with local advanced spread, so two lots of side effects to deal with. After biopsy I had the formal diagnosis meeting when I was given the gleason, percent cancer etc. I said "oh dear, I was expecting G6 and something trivial like active surveillance" he replied "that is not a sensible option, sensible treatment for you is two years ADT, HDR brachy, 15 fractions EBRT.". I mentioned that I sort of liked the idea of surgery (to just be rid of it), he said we will have an MDT meeting and see what happens.

Next meeting the treatment offered was as above. I am rather cynical, so my thoughts are that my prognosis (and sadly yours too) is not good, and no surgeon would want to operate on someone where the chance of clear margins is probably zero so the chance of recurrence is high, we would just make their statistics look bad.

I didn't push for surgery I can see that the treatment offered has as good an outcome as surgery, and my initial thoughts about surgery was based on an emotional desire to have the cancer cut out.

Anyway I had the treatment they recommended. As it happens today is the day the zoladex finally leaves my system, so hopefully I will start to recover from the side effects. 

As I have said in numerous posts I was lucky that I was not troubled much by side effects, but do miss my labido and will be glad to get my mojo back.

I haven't noticed much in the way of side effects from RT (there are some to do with the bowels but they are not severe). 

I can still get a hard on, with a lot of effort, and an orgasm which is dry, but OK. (remember I am still on zero testosterone, I'm hoping things will improve in the coming months)

I would say I am happy with the treatment I have had, I think if I had RP which would almost certainly be non nerve sparing, I would have regretted it.

One advantage of RP is that post treatment monitoring, if psa is not zero, you've still got cancer; so they can put you through some more unpleasant treatments. Whereas with RT until psa >2 the assumption is you haven't got cancer (even though you may have).

I would say my character is phlegmatic as are several posters on this forum. I am not that bothered that my life expectancy is now 70 rather than 85 as it was before diagnosis. If you are an anxious person then this disease is probably hell. 

Edit ****************

See Lyn's post below for clarification on following paragraph

So I would say, make a decision about side effects and which are the least bad. If the oncologists are recommending that treatment go for it, if not then... I don't know, I was not in that position.

If you have anxiety problems (which is quite normal after a cancer diagnosis) , try and manage them, that will make a big change to your quality of life.

Edited by member 28 Apr 2020 at 00:43  | Reason: To refer to Lyn's later post about treatment decision.

Dave

User
Posted 27 Apr 2020 at 22:41

"So I would say, make a decision about side effects and which are the least bad."

I think Dave's post is brilliant apart from the bit above - I am not sure it says quite what was meant. Generally speaking, the advice on decision making (assuming you get a choice of treatments) is:

- determine which treatment has the best chance of eradicating the cancer
- look at the potential side effects and decide whether you are willing to take those risks
- if not, look at the other treatments on offer and their potential side effects
- choose the treatment that offers you the best chance of full remission with a % risk of side effects that you are willing to live with

Some side effects will happen regardless of which radical treatment you choose; dry orgasms, for example. Others like a smaller penis happen to almost everyone, for different reasons. Anxiety / anger / low mood are also very common. The side effect that must not be downplayed is to be rid of the cancer.

Edited by member 27 Apr 2020 at 22:43  | Reason: Not specified

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard
User
Posted 27 Apr 2020 at 22:53

Thanks Lyn, you've said that a lot better than me. I think in my case the outcomes were equivalent so I didn't think to add to my post the rather important point of, consider the outcomes first and then move on to think about side effects. 

Edited by member 28 Apr 2020 at 00:30  | Reason: Not specified

Dave

User
Posted 28 Apr 2020 at 08:02
Hi Stella,

If you opt for surgery I recommend you find yourself a high-volume surgeon with good outcomes, and then you may be less likely to suffer unfortunate and sometimes inevitable side effects of surgery such as erectile dysfunction and incontinence. Surprisingly, ‘successful’ surgery regarding incontinence is the use of one pad (nappy) a day. I would not call that a ‘success’!

I have no problem in that regard, but I do have a totally limp dick (we doctors call it ED), but two years on I am cancer-free and carefree😀

My own surgeon said he would not send a friend or family member to any surgeon who does less than 100 prostatectomies a year, I suppose on the basis that ‘practice makes perfect’.

Best of luck whichever path you choose.

Cheers, John.
User
Posted 28 Apr 2020 at 11:37
If you were my dad or brother, I would be insisting on an appointment with an oncologist before the decision is made to go ahead with surgery.
User
Posted 28 Apr 2020 at 13:54

You and many others may never be certain you made the right choice.   I thought about it a lot flipping between the two.  Although it was partly fear of having an op and worry at having 3months hormones, 6 weeks daily RT, 3 - 6 months RT.   I'd had surgery for 2 skin cancers and everyone said cutting it out is the gold standard which for that condition it is and that influenced my thinking.

I was very keen to get it out.  Dave's phlegmatism doesn't enter my vocabulary, perhaps it should.  When the surgeon offered me an op in 10 days my decision was made and 120% certainty and enthusiasm arrived.   After reading on here for about 12 months I became less certain it was as cut and dried and it took a long time for me to accept RT could be as good as RP.  I now think if you have spread RT is probably better in some cases otherwise in from things I've read it's not quite as good.  You say the surgeon mentioned a wide margin and he was confident.  Some might say he would say that but did you trust him? Trust is a great thing.

For me side effects were hardly an issue they could cut the lot off.  I would be sorry to see the old lad go but being here longer is a higher priority.  

The op is quite an easy route I found.  Go to sleep and wake up hopefully without a cancer and I had no pain at all.  There is a month of messing about but it soon passes.

Mine was upgraded from 4+3 to 4+4.  But also downgraded from T3 possible to T2a.   I also wouldn't have feared RT as secondary treatment and the ability to use that route seemed a plus.  I've absolutely no regrets but if it had been 5+4 it would likely have been RT only at my hospital.  From the stats I've seen I don't think my surgeon does ops on people of that grade.  So you could count yourself fortunate to be offered it.

I wonder what Stephen Fry had, his was a high Gleason 9 I think.  Actually I answered it myself, surgery and he said something about it being 4+4 originally upgraded to 9 which could either be 4+5 or 5+4.     https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jetCGj44kq8

I'd be interested in when will the op take place.  Being on hormones means you've got a start towards RT and if the op takes a few weeks it narrows the time gap even more.  In my opinion people with high Gleason should be given priority and perhaps you could push that one.

I just re-read the above and it doesn't come out clear but perhaps some bits will add something to your pondering.   It's a tough one and many write on here of the same.   All the best.  Peter

User
Posted 28 Apr 2020 at 15:30

Hi John (and Stella woof)

I believe with RT they treat the target area (prostate and any known extra capsular extension) plus an extra margin of 10mm around this (but only 5mm margin near rectum to avoid too much damage there). So if there are micro deposits (micro-mets, micro-metastasis whatever you want to call them) then they hopefully will get swept up by this slight over treatment. I think Andy62 has said that at his hospital they also do the pelvic lymph nodes at the same time just in case.

The hope is with RP or RT all the cancer cells have been removed or zapped, but there is no certainty. Not knowing whether the cancer cells have started to spread beyond the treated area is a big problem with this disease and the cause of much anxiety. 

Edited by member 28 Apr 2020 at 16:54  | Reason: Not specified

Dave

User
Posted 28 Apr 2020 at 23:00

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member
I believe with RT they treat the target area (prostate and any known extra capsular extension) plus an extra margin of 10mm around this (but only 5mm margin near rectum to avoid too much damage there). So if there are micro deposits (micro-mets, micro-metastasis whatever you want to call them) then they hopefully will get swept up by this slight over treatment. I think Andy62 has said that at his hospital they also do the pelvic lymph nodes at the same time just in case.

If you are a high risk patient (PSA >= 20, or gleason >= 8, or stage >= T3a), I was told they treat the seminal vesicles and pelvic lymph nodes even if there's no spread identified there (sometimes called "whole pelvis" by oncologists, but that means something completely different to radiographers). This was done with 75% dose in my case (46Gy), which minimises any risk of lymphodema and limits other collateral damage. The prostate was topped up to 100% (61Gy) with HDR brachy. This was at Mount Vernon - I don't know how widespread this protocol is. The treatment is called HDR Boost.

User
Posted 29 Apr 2020 at 21:08

Hi John.  It sounds like we have (had) near identical diagnosis and age.  Please do look through my profile for all the details.  In a nutshell, I had RP followed by ART.  It flattened me a lot, but I got through it (and only took two weeks off work in total).  I won all the usual side effects, most of which have cleared up apart from some incontinence and reliance on the magic blue pills for sex.  My PSA is <0.003 three years on, so I'll take that.  Although, as always, I'll have my fingers crossed for the PSA test in June!  I didn't feel I had a choice in treatment, although in hindsight I would have done if I pushed.  The MDT all agreed surgery and ART if necessary was the best way forward.  Seems in my case they were right.

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 27 Apr 2020 at 19:02
Have they said whether there will be a delay with the op? If so, have they offered you hormone treatment in the meantime? Have they said that if you have the op you will also need adjuvant RT or are they going to see what happens after the surgery?
User
Posted 27 Apr 2020 at 19:39

John,

No one else can answer that question other than you. I can flag up things I would consider, but your considerations are unlikely to be the same.

You can plug your diagnosis into nomograms to find out the likelihood of a RP working first time. You haven't given enough detail (such as PSA at diagnosis).

One research project I looked at compared RP results against the 3 high risk criteria:
PSA >= 20 at diagnosis,
Stage >= T3a,
Gleason >= 8.

The more of these that apply, the less likely the RP is to cure, and hence need salvage RT. Having both procedures generates both sets of side-effects, and increases chances of ED even more which was of concern to me. I had requested RP right from the start (out of ignorance at the time), but this did mean the MDT kept it on the table, and always reported back on it as one option even though they generally recommended something else. In my case, RP wouldn't have been nerve sparing and it would have required adjuvant RT, which wrote it off as a choice for me.

I went for RT, which was 8-9 months ago, a choice I don't regret. No incontinence or ED from the external beam radiotherapy, although I also had HDR brachytherapy as a combined treatment and I did get temporary ED and a little incontinence for a few weeks after that, but all working fine for some time now. Can't eat as much fibre as I was before. I'm still on hormone therapy which comes with a number of side effects, but it's not a big deal for me - it is for some people. You have also got to try it out, so you have some idea the effect on you.

Age is a factor too, and at 57, I was on the young side for RT, and you even more so.

Anyway, just some thoughts that went through my mind, but might not apply to you.

Edited by member 27 Apr 2020 at 19:40  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 27 Apr 2020 at 22:07

Hi John, I am nearly the same age as you with a near identical diagnosis, but 24 months ahead of you in the treatment. G4+5 T3N0M0 PSA 25ish (it was different on 3 tests), 95% cancer on biopsy. I don't know if I was T3a, T3b they never said.

After the first MRI, but before full diagnosis, surgery was mentioned, and I was warned that adjuvant RT would almost certainly be required to deal with local advanced spread, so two lots of side effects to deal with. After biopsy I had the formal diagnosis meeting when I was given the gleason, percent cancer etc. I said "oh dear, I was expecting G6 and something trivial like active surveillance" he replied "that is not a sensible option, sensible treatment for you is two years ADT, HDR brachy, 15 fractions EBRT.". I mentioned that I sort of liked the idea of surgery (to just be rid of it), he said we will have an MDT meeting and see what happens.

Next meeting the treatment offered was as above. I am rather cynical, so my thoughts are that my prognosis (and sadly yours too) is not good, and no surgeon would want to operate on someone where the chance of clear margins is probably zero so the chance of recurrence is high, we would just make their statistics look bad.

I didn't push for surgery I can see that the treatment offered has as good an outcome as surgery, and my initial thoughts about surgery was based on an emotional desire to have the cancer cut out.

Anyway I had the treatment they recommended. As it happens today is the day the zoladex finally leaves my system, so hopefully I will start to recover from the side effects. 

As I have said in numerous posts I was lucky that I was not troubled much by side effects, but do miss my labido and will be glad to get my mojo back.

I haven't noticed much in the way of side effects from RT (there are some to do with the bowels but they are not severe). 

I can still get a hard on, with a lot of effort, and an orgasm which is dry, but OK. (remember I am still on zero testosterone, I'm hoping things will improve in the coming months)

I would say I am happy with the treatment I have had, I think if I had RP which would almost certainly be non nerve sparing, I would have regretted it.

One advantage of RP is that post treatment monitoring, if psa is not zero, you've still got cancer; so they can put you through some more unpleasant treatments. Whereas with RT until psa >2 the assumption is you haven't got cancer (even though you may have).

I would say my character is phlegmatic as are several posters on this forum. I am not that bothered that my life expectancy is now 70 rather than 85 as it was before diagnosis. If you are an anxious person then this disease is probably hell. 

Edit ****************

See Lyn's post below for clarification on following paragraph

So I would say, make a decision about side effects and which are the least bad. If the oncologists are recommending that treatment go for it, if not then... I don't know, I was not in that position.

If you have anxiety problems (which is quite normal after a cancer diagnosis) , try and manage them, that will make a big change to your quality of life.

Edited by member 28 Apr 2020 at 00:43  | Reason: To refer to Lyn's later post about treatment decision.

Dave

User
Posted 27 Apr 2020 at 22:41

"So I would say, make a decision about side effects and which are the least bad."

I think Dave's post is brilliant apart from the bit above - I am not sure it says quite what was meant. Generally speaking, the advice on decision making (assuming you get a choice of treatments) is:

- determine which treatment has the best chance of eradicating the cancer
- look at the potential side effects and decide whether you are willing to take those risks
- if not, look at the other treatments on offer and their potential side effects
- choose the treatment that offers you the best chance of full remission with a % risk of side effects that you are willing to live with

Some side effects will happen regardless of which radical treatment you choose; dry orgasms, for example. Others like a smaller penis happen to almost everyone, for different reasons. Anxiety / anger / low mood are also very common. The side effect that must not be downplayed is to be rid of the cancer.

Edited by member 27 Apr 2020 at 22:43  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 27 Apr 2020 at 22:53

Thanks Lyn, you've said that a lot better than me. I think in my case the outcomes were equivalent so I didn't think to add to my post the rather important point of, consider the outcomes first and then move on to think about side effects. 

Edited by member 28 Apr 2020 at 00:30  | Reason: Not specified

Dave

User
Posted 28 Apr 2020 at 08:02
Hi Stella,

If you opt for surgery I recommend you find yourself a high-volume surgeon with good outcomes, and then you may be less likely to suffer unfortunate and sometimes inevitable side effects of surgery such as erectile dysfunction and incontinence. Surprisingly, ‘successful’ surgery regarding incontinence is the use of one pad (nappy) a day. I would not call that a ‘success’!

I have no problem in that regard, but I do have a totally limp dick (we doctors call it ED), but two years on I am cancer-free and carefree😀

My own surgeon said he would not send a friend or family member to any surgeon who does less than 100 prostatectomies a year, I suppose on the basis that ‘practice makes perfect’.

Best of luck whichever path you choose.

Cheers, John.
User
Posted 28 Apr 2020 at 11:19
To all thanks for your feed back it is greatly appreciated.
My PSA at diagnosis was 11.6 it was T3a NOMO and originally thought spread/advanced so was given hormones but after scans has been downgraded to locally advanced.
I am on hormones as op put on hold until Covid is over these make me feel like crap.
When I discussed with the surgeon who advised he has been doing the robotic surgery for 10 years he said he would do a wide margin left side as only left side of prostate has cancer he has a gut feeling it will go ok.
He was more concerned about micro deposits of cancer cells.
Therefore I am wondering what the risk is based on my diagnosis of having micro deposits.
As I am feeling that an RP might be an unnecessary operation if there are micro deposits and need RT afterward would it not be better to just have RT now and would this treat any micro deposits at the same time.
I am assuming the micro deposits cause spread and if RT on these is not successful am wondering if there is any other proactive treatment that can prevent these from spreading other than hormones.
My head is “done in” thinking about all of this and it’s now time to walk my dog Stella.

Thanks John
User
Posted 28 Apr 2020 at 11:37
If you were my dad or brother, I would be insisting on an appointment with an oncologist before the decision is made to go ahead with surgery.
User
Posted 28 Apr 2020 at 13:54

You and many others may never be certain you made the right choice.   I thought about it a lot flipping between the two.  Although it was partly fear of having an op and worry at having 3months hormones, 6 weeks daily RT, 3 - 6 months RT.   I'd had surgery for 2 skin cancers and everyone said cutting it out is the gold standard which for that condition it is and that influenced my thinking.

I was very keen to get it out.  Dave's phlegmatism doesn't enter my vocabulary, perhaps it should.  When the surgeon offered me an op in 10 days my decision was made and 120% certainty and enthusiasm arrived.   After reading on here for about 12 months I became less certain it was as cut and dried and it took a long time for me to accept RT could be as good as RP.  I now think if you have spread RT is probably better in some cases otherwise in from things I've read it's not quite as good.  You say the surgeon mentioned a wide margin and he was confident.  Some might say he would say that but did you trust him? Trust is a great thing.

For me side effects were hardly an issue they could cut the lot off.  I would be sorry to see the old lad go but being here longer is a higher priority.  

The op is quite an easy route I found.  Go to sleep and wake up hopefully without a cancer and I had no pain at all.  There is a month of messing about but it soon passes.

Mine was upgraded from 4+3 to 4+4.  But also downgraded from T3 possible to T2a.   I also wouldn't have feared RT as secondary treatment and the ability to use that route seemed a plus.  I've absolutely no regrets but if it had been 5+4 it would likely have been RT only at my hospital.  From the stats I've seen I don't think my surgeon does ops on people of that grade.  So you could count yourself fortunate to be offered it.

I wonder what Stephen Fry had, his was a high Gleason 9 I think.  Actually I answered it myself, surgery and he said something about it being 4+4 originally upgraded to 9 which could either be 4+5 or 5+4.     https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jetCGj44kq8

I'd be interested in when will the op take place.  Being on hormones means you've got a start towards RT and if the op takes a few weeks it narrows the time gap even more.  In my opinion people with high Gleason should be given priority and perhaps you could push that one.

I just re-read the above and it doesn't come out clear but perhaps some bits will add something to your pondering.   It's a tough one and many write on here of the same.   All the best.  Peter

User
Posted 28 Apr 2020 at 15:30

Hi John (and Stella woof)

The hope is with RP or RT all the cancer cells have been removed or zapped, but there is no certainty. Not knowing whether the cancer cells have started to spread beyond the treated area is a big problem with this disease and the cause of much anxiety. 

Edited by member 28 Apr 2020 at 16:54  | Reason: Not specified

Dave

User
Posted 28 Apr 2020 at 23:00

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member

If you are a high risk patient (PSA >= 20, or gleason >= 8, or stage >= T3a), I was told they treat the seminal vesicles and pelvic lymph nodes even if there's no spread identified there (sometimes called "whole pelvis" by oncologists, but that means something completely different to radiographers). This was done with 75% dose in my case (46Gy), which minimises any risk of lymphodema and limits other collateral damage. The prostate was topped up to 100% (61Gy) with HDR brachy. This was at Mount Vernon - I don't know how widespread this protocol is. The treatment is called HDR Boost.

User
Posted 29 Apr 2020 at 21:08

Hi John.  It sounds like we have (had) near identical diagnosis and age.  Please do look through my profile for all the details.  In a nutshell, I had RP followed by ART.  It flattened me a lot, but I got through it (and only took two weeks off work in total).  I won all the usual side effects, most of which have cleared up apart from some incontinence and reliance on the magic blue pills for sex.  My PSA is <0.003 three years on, so I'll take that.  Although, as always, I'll have my fingers crossed for the PSA test in June!  I didn't feel I had a choice in treatment, although in hindsight I would have done if I pushed.  The MDT all agreed surgery and ART if necessary was the best way forward.  Seems in my case they were right.

User
Posted 30 Apr 2020 at 14:37

Thanks everyone for your responses.

Grahamt it does look like we have the same diagnosis its good to hear from someone in the same “boat” I also have a nine year old daughter at time of diagnosis (soon to be ten). I hope I can be as optimistic as you when I go through my surgery. Having a lot of anxiety at the moment with everything on hold due to Covid 19. Was reading  Stephen fry’s blog as he also seams to be similar diagnosis. Reading others stories helps me to understand better and thus helps with my anxiety a little. 
Thanks John 

User
Posted 01 May 2020 at 21:26

Thanks for your offer grahamt I will be in contact if I need any advice. It is good to know you can speak to someone who has been through what I am about to go through.  Thanks John 

User
Posted 04 May 2020 at 00:06

If you go down the RP route defo agree with Bollinge about the high volume surgeon. We had the same Prof Whocannotbenamedonhere and this far very good outcome. We both had Retzius sparing approach with NeuroSafe. Might be worth asking about the later in terms of getting better margin control/visibility. 

Good luck with whatever route you take and hope you can move forwards sooner rather than later given COVID.

TG

User
Posted 28 Jun 2020 at 08:52

Had my RARP on June 6th  I am sure we meaning all the family made the right decision I was Gleason 8 with a T3 tumour just had histology report clear margins with no cancer cells in the Lymph nodes and no further treatment my Local NHS hospital would not carry out the procedure so I had to go down the private route with a excellent high volume surgeon. My advise would be to do your research ask the questions there is loads of information out there, but at the end of the day it’s your decision, for me I made up my mind immediately after my first private consultation. Once I have the incontinence under control which is slowly getting better life will be great.