Show search

Notification

Error

PSA and excersize - Row machine

User
Posted 05 May 2020 at 16:34

Hi All

trust all staying safe :)

I am under Active Survelliance ,,, i'm 64 like keeping fit - usually swim but can't now ..I have a Row machine i could use but am aware that Urologists have commented not to cycle before having the Blood test . has anyone a view or advice on using a Row machine for health excersize ?

Also has anyone heard of taking Celery helping slow  the progress of the Cancer ?

take care 

User
Posted 05 May 2020 at 17:00
Using a rowing machine shouldn't affect your PSA level as the seat is usually quite flat - the concern is about thin hard cycle saddles that may stimulate or put pressure on the prostate but science suggests that it only increases the PSA level by about 10% for a maximum of 24 hours. If you were worried about normal activity affecting your blood results, other things can also temporarily raise the level including orgasm, anal stimulation / prostate massage, having a DRE or biopsy, serious style weight-lifting - no one seems to be clear about whether passing a very large pooh could also stimulate the prostate.

If you live and behave normally before your blood tests, you will still be able to monitor your PSA trend over time.

Like many other foods, eating celery is good for you but won't slow the progress of a cancer.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 05 May 2020 at 18:30

Hi LynEyre

thank you for taking the time to reply ,, that’s v helpful & just common sense I suppose in the end ... 

I’m due my next PSA result at the end of the month so I’ll just take it a bit easy for the days leading up to my Bloods .

the celery thing probably has little substance but it’s healthy so I’ll eat it in moderation.

take care 😊 

User
Posted 06 May 2020 at 10:09
Celery is also good in a boody Mary. Just sayin'...

Hermit.

User
Posted 06 May 2020 at 10:16

love a strong bloody mary .... 😄

hope you are well

thanks

User
Posted 06 May 2020 at 11:28

I use a rowing machine (or did when gyms were open), and I can't see how it could impact PSA.

However, I avoid exercise 24h before blood tests, and cycling a bit longer before PSA tests.

I had a bad creatinine level in a kidney function test. When I read up on it, advice was to eat no more than 100g of protein and avoid exercise 24h before. I'd done at 1200kCal cycle ride and eaten half a chicken. A retest without having done either of those came back normal.

User
Posted 06 May 2020 at 12:06

Andy62

thanks for that ,, just that i had a horrible spike in my PSA last time ( back down after a quick re test) I cannot think what caused it . Trying to eliminate diet , behaviour, etc that may have contributed.

I had a Kidney scan at the same time , came up ok .... thanks for the info on protein intake and excersise I take that advice.

stay safe 

:)