I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Remission of tumours

User
Posted 14 May 2020 at 10:32

Has anybody heard of a case where a man has been diagnosed with localised grade 1 cancer and, following an mri or biopsy, tumours can been shown to have disappeared? This happens with other cancers but I cannot find any data on the internet specific to prostate cancer.

User
Posted 14 May 2020 at 12:14

Not heard of any case histories like this with prostate but certainly not impossible as there have been rare cases where the immune system eventually recognises the cancer and you get a spontaneous remission. I'd certainly run checks again in terms of 3T mpMRI as these are really down to radiologist interpretation.

Did you have a TPM biopsy? Keep an eye on that PSA velocity. I foolishly left mine nearly 18 months after being given the all clear in Jan 2018 (PiRADS 2). Got a bit of a reality check when had PSA in July 2019 (5.6) and 3TmpMRI showed PiRADS 4 then biopsy confirmed give tumours in all four quadrants of prostate.

User
Posted 14 May 2020 at 14:22
Can you be clear - were tumours seen on an MRI and then when it was repeated they had gone ... or is it that the biopsy was positive but then they couldn't be seen on the MRI? Or that he had an mpMRI which showed tumours but then a follow up normal MRI was clear?

A biopsy can't show that tumours have disappeared - only that the biopsy needles didn't hit any of the cancerous areas.

John had cancer in every segment of his prostate but his MRI was clear.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 24 May 2020 at 11:09

My MRI showed 2 small tumours in the prostate. This was confirmed in the biopsy. I have a high count of cancerous cells in the prostate but no evidence that it has left the prostate. Grade 6 Gleason. Stage 1. I have had 2 PSA tests - scoring 7 about eight months ago and 9.2 last week. I have chosen AS.

I asked the question about remission because I could find no data on the internet.  In other forms of cancer there are plenty of people who have had a spontaneous remission. I guess that remission is something that everyone who has cancer hopes for. There are many stories of peoples journey with cancer that document spontaneous remission but I have yet to hear of a single case of prostate cancer.

User
Posted 24 May 2020 at 11:37

Another marker also worth checking when bloods are done are CRPs. Basically an inflammation marker and generally elevated when something is going on. Can mean many things but it’s another piece of the jigsaw. Interestingly mine were always <4 circa 2014 when last taken pre-elevated PSA (2015) When I had bloods pre op was sitting around 35-45. At the time I never made the connection so didn’t query it. There is research being done to establish how useful it is.