I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

NHS- Can you chose your own surgeon?

User
Posted 26 May 2020 at 15:52

Hi- i seem to find conflicting information on wether you can actually chose your own surgeon under the nhs or wether you can only get to chose the department/hospital. 

Anyone have any conclusive information on this? Can i chose the individual surgeon within the deparment that is following my case? Not doing so means there is little point in doing all the extensive research into the best surgeons....unless of course you take the private route...

thanks

User
Posted 26 May 2020 at 16:15
You can ask to be referred to a specific consultant but there is no guarantee that you will be seen by him / her rather than one of their registrars - it is also quite common to see the actual consultant, decide to go ahead and then find that the actual op is done by someone else.
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 26 May 2020 at 16:55

I went private but a friend who is a general surgeon told me If I went the NHS route I can choose a specific consultant via NHS Choices.

Edited by member 26 May 2020 at 16:58  | Reason: Not specified

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 26 May 2020 at 16:15
You can ask to be referred to a specific consultant but there is no guarantee that you will be seen by him / her rather than one of their registrars - it is also quite common to see the actual consultant, decide to go ahead and then find that the actual op is done by someone else.
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 26 May 2020 at 16:55

I went private but a friend who is a general surgeon told me If I went the NHS route I can choose a specific consultant via NHS Choices.

Edited by member 26 May 2020 at 16:58  | Reason: Not specified