I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Going in for the Operation - any tips?

User
Posted 16 Jun 2020 at 14:04

Hi - I'm lucky enough to get an early date for my radical prostatectomy (thought it was going to end up in the Autumn).

Anyone out there who can share any hints, tips, do's don'ts etc - never had an overnight stay in hospital!

User
Posted 17 Jun 2020 at 14:04

Steve

Just for clarity the night bag should be fitted to a stand and then it all goes  in the bucket or bowl, do not just drop the night bag in the bottom of the bucket or bowl.

NHS areas have different protocols, in my area the leg bag stays on for 5-7 days. At night the night bag is connected to the drainage spout of the leg bag, in the morning it is removed, don't forget to get the tap in the right position. 

Some will issue a night bag that will be reused for seven days others issue one night bag per day. 

Get a couple of spare night straps if you can. I fasten my night bag tube to a thigh strap around my ankle, saves any pulling on  bag joints.  Make sure all joints are tight.

Instilagel or hydrocaine are the Rolls Royce of catheter maintenance. Some areas are now restricting its use in catheter care  due adverse reactions.

Thanks Chris

User
Posted 17 Jun 2020 at 15:53

Make sure things that you need like a phone you have easy access to. I had open surgery RP and wasn't that mobile over the first 24 hours

The nurses will be keen to get you up- the first time is the hardest but worth it.

Try to get mobile as soon as you can (whilst still listening to your body) I started short walks everyday as soon as they let me out

I hadn't expected the short term reduction in lung capacity so use the inhaler thing they give you as much as you can ( may not apply if surgery is key hole but I had no idea about this bit)

The first bowel movement is a huge sense of relief and I wish I'd started on the stool softeners earlier!!! Bowels just stop working for a few days after the op so that bits not uncomfortable but as things start to move again hard stools and the added challenge of dealing with a catheter( and bypass) and trying not to strain too much is a challenge!! 

Be prepared for a level of swelling. I swear someone must have got my meat and 2 veg on the operating table and smacked them with a mallet :-) 

Having said all of the above I felt a huge sense of relief waking up from the operation, knowing it had all gone fine. If you think that everyday is going to get better from there on in it helps. And once that catheter is out then life quickly starts to get back to normal.

Good luck.

User
Posted 17 Jun 2020 at 16:12

Had my RP sept 18 at the Marsden. Got out from surgery around 2pm I was well drugged up and felt nothing. Overnight was ok but had to sleep on my back for obvious reasons. Felt rough in the morning and I was a grumpy patient - nurse was very patient. First poo was a daunting thought but happened without drama. Warning DONT PUSH HARD your new plumbing won’t like it. Wife drove me home late afternoon. I had my one and only major leak on the way home so maybe something to protect the car seat. I had a supra pubic catheter (not thru penis, thru lower tummy) hence the leak. Not much I could do about it, it happens. I felt sore but hospital gave me a good supply of pain killers (forgot name but not strong no ones). It was manageable. Tummy was still quite bloated from gas put in during surgery. Anyway that night made it up to bedroom with relative ease and had a good nights sleep. From then on every day got better. I made sure I got out for a very gentle walk each day - started off being 10 mins. Bowels nice and regular.

By day 7 back to Marsden and catheter removed - even caught a bus such was my progress. Now going solo. I was so surprised, all the work I did on pelvic floor muscles pre op starting to pay off. I had good urinary control, but I was glad I overstocked on pads, gave me some confidence.

By week 2 some slight soreness but life quickly returning back to normal. I kept on with the walking, good for the mind too. After one month it was all a distant memory. No major leakages but I resumed kegal exercises after nurse gave me heads up - this helped me greatly to retrain my mind to sub consciously manage stress situations that cause leakages.

At 8 weeks went on a long flight to Mauritius for 10 Day holiday. Salt water and gentle breaststroke was great for recovery.

Nearly 2 years on I have no significant issues, scars hardly noticeable - even my ED started to disappear and I can now have a 80% erection that does the job. And the best of all my PSA is undetectable - you’ll learn to love that word!! I have no regrets.

User
Posted 17 Jun 2020 at 21:15

Loads of advice above.   I took earplugs but they were in my bag which they'd left in the pre-op area for the first night.  We had a guy who snored like a lion roaring in the wild.  Someone with a beeping machine that got faster from time to time.  It was hell not helped by me being asleep all afternoon while they waited for a bed, induced I think.

Keep drinking water it goes into a bag so you don't need to worry about going to the loo.  The water will keep you soft.  The food was awful so after having the pre-op enema there was nothing in me.  I didn't use the hospital loo at all.

Get wandering round as soon as they remove the drip.  Slippers.  Dressing gown isn't much use when you're carrying a bag of urine in your left hand and perhaps a blood drain bag in your right hand.  So be ready to wander round in your NHS gown and DVT stockings.  Like a fancy dress.  There are plenty in there worse than you.  That you will be going home soon makes you grateful.

There was a bloke in the next bed in a bad way with 20 pipes and valves coming out that not even the consultant was allowed to touch, he lived near us.  I'd love to know what happened to him. He was a very pleasant person a bit younger than me.  I wish I'd exchanged more details.  It was a weird time my only stay in hospital.

Edited by member 17 Jun 2020 at 21:22  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 16 Jun 2020 at 15:53

Hi Steve, 

Mattress protector is a good idea, I got mine from Dunelm. Also, a large bucket for the catheter night bag.

Before you leave hospital, it's well worth practicing catheter bag emptying/changing drills while staff are on hand for support. Bending down can be difficult with a sore swollen abdomen. 

Take it easy post op, keep mobile but avoid stretching and lifting.

Good luck. 

Kev.

Edited by member 16 Jun 2020 at 15:58  | Reason: Typo

User
Posted 17 Jun 2020 at 23:19

No idea if some of the advice above is good in general. For me, at 68 probably at the more senior end of RP, here's my experiences:

1. Sleep in hospital was pretty much non-existent, but it was only one night and my bag was definitely not in range to put on my headphones. Maybe those who go private have more helpful night staff, but my experience is that on the NHS they pretty much ignore the patients as much as they can. Most appear to be studying.

2. It definitely helps to not be pushing your stools, but the biggest factor in this is to be moving asap - I got moving as soon as they let me and was doing 30 minute walks as soon as the catheter came out. That said, I took my course of lactulose because I tend to suffer from constipation anyway.

3. I also found that despite the catheter I felt the need for the toilet on the way home (a 1.5 hour journey for us, as our local RARP surgeon left our closer hospital just before the operation). Emergency stop at petrol station saved the day.

4. Really not much pain - I took the Paracetomol and Ibuprofen prescribed for a few days, then dropped the latter (caused some indigestion) and then the former, with an OK from the Cancer Nurse.

5. Never had a leak at night and never took any special care of the bag, just went in a bowl on the floor. Have had bad bladder reaction to general anaesthetic thrice previously, so a bit blase about the catheter; not found the need to pussyfoot around it much. Great relief when it comes out, of course.

6. Scars are nothing, at least to someone that has had proper carve ups (my melanoma scar is about 8" long and not pretty, for instance).

7. Bruising comes out over time - don't be surprised when your balls suddenly turn black & blue. It all goes.

8. You can get some continence pads/pants in the free pack from this site. They are actually quite heavy duty, so are almost certainly enough to get you going. If you need more, any decent sized supermarket is likely to have some - although likely hidden in female products! Otherwise Incontinence Choice have a very wide range at reasonable prices that can be delivered to your door. I was able to switch to the light pads quickly so never needed to buy any more of the heavier pads. Of course YMMV.

9. Definitely trackies are the thing post-op, but any reasonably loose trousers are OK with a catheter - whatever you feel comfortable in. For underwear, I used trunks, which offer support but are not too tight - I wear them a size up (in waist terms) anyway.

User
Posted 24 Jun 2020 at 18:58

Someone mentioned earplugs, but even better a good pair of noise-cancelling headphones and something to play your favourite music or audio books on them.

If sounds of other people talking, groaning in pain or instrument 'beep beep', eating noises or any other noises (and there will be plenty unless you have a private room) bother you, then these are a life-saver.

I had mine on nearly all night and it got me through it. Noises bother me. It would have been hell without them. They don't totally block it all out, but they reduce it to a level I can cope with.

_____

Two cannibals named Ectomy and Prost, all alone on a Desert island.

Prost was the strongest, so Prost ate Ectomy.

User
Posted 16 Jun 2020 at 15:15

Steve

Ear plugs and possibly eye mask, some hospitals will supply them. Don't get constipation again some hospitals issue them. 

Enjoy your sleep , when surgery is done take it easy, but not too easy, keep mobile. Listen to your medical team.

Best wishes, thanks Chris.

User
Posted 16 Jun 2020 at 15:52
The standard shopping list:

- large bucket (to stand the catheter bag in at night)

- pants (not boxer shorts) one size larger than you usually wear - your penis and scrotum may be very swollen afterwards and will appreciate the extra support

- comfy track suit bottoms / leisure pants, ideally in a dark colour & with a drawstring waist rather than elastic if possible - M&S do some in sweatshirt type material

- a waterproof sheet (Dunelm sells one which doesn't feel like plastic) or some disposable puppy pads from any good pet shop (to protect the mattress when your catheter comes out)

- ask whether the hospital will give you some instillagel to bring home with you post-op - if not, try to get a prescription for it now. It is a local anaesthetic gel to help stop the eye of your penis becoming too sore while the catheter is in

- clarify whether they will provide you with continence pads or whether you need to buy your own. If you have to purchase your own, get a couple of packs in but not hundreds because you might find you don't need them

- puzzles, books, etc

You may be very lucky and not need all of these so don't spend a fortune!

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 17 Jun 2020 at 06:02
Some have suggested a taking a stool-softening product such as Fybogel the day before and after your surgery, together with laxatives post-op which the hospital might give you.

Your bowels will be seriously disrupted by all the robot arms delving round your abdomen, and it will take a few days for them to rearrange themselves, so a soft stool should make your motions easier to pass.

The first fart is the greatest!

Best of luck.

Cheers, John.

User
Posted 17 Jun 2020 at 15:14

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member
Some have suggested a taking a stool-softening product such as Fybogel the day before and after your surgery, together with laxatives post-op which the hospital might give you.

Your bowels will be seriously disrupted by all the robot arms delving round your abdomen, and it will take a few days for them to rearrange themselves, so a soft stool should make your motions easier to pass.

Best of luck.

Cheers, John.

This all sounds so horrible, I'm really glad I chose RT 😆

User
Posted 17 Jun 2020 at 23:55

I had HDR brachy, which involved an overnight stay in hospital, the first time I have done this. I snore louder than that lion Peter mentioned, but I didn't disturb anyone because I don't think I got a wink of sleep.

Most people had some machine which made a random bleeping noise somewhere near them. One guy was in a lot of pain and moaned all night (normally this would have p****d me off, but I was just thankful I wasn't like that).

Every four hours I had blood pressure taken. So that meant no sleep. Food was actually very good at Christie's. I had my phone with me and a charger so could get on Internet and phone friends, that was essential.

I was in Friday before a bank holiday, I had some minor complications and they nearly kept me in all weekend. I would have hated that.

Can't help you anymore as mine was not RP so recovery would be different.

Dave

User
Posted 18 Jun 2020 at 08:34

Thanks Lyn - really appreciated good practical tips!

Actually can I just thank everyone who contributed on this - so good to get this feedback. Until this I'd never been in hospital (I'm 63) so I think my concerns are more about the unknown really. Ironically I've never felt fitter - dropped a stone in weight as being fit for the Op has given me the focus I've needed for a couple of years. Also didn't have any symptoms until they started taking lumps out of my prostate!

I'll be going in well equipped after these contributions. Cheers all

Edited by member 18 Jun 2020 at 08:45  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 18 Jun 2020 at 09:30

Hi Steve, like you I was on the waiting list for RP delayed due to C19 but was lucky to get it moved forward and today I am day 8 post op.

Every day getting better, and now looking forward to the future.

Good luck

User
Posted 18 Jun 2020 at 16:40
Lots of good tips already. I'll just add one, as my cancer center (largest in Canada) is the only one that I've seen to give this tip.

For pads, they suggest buying NEWBORN DIAPERS.

Why diapers and why specifically "newborn" diapers, and not a larger toddler size?:

* Diapers are less expensive AND more absorbent than products for adults.

* the smallest newborn diaper size actually fits perfectly. You basically cup the penis and the scrotum with the newborn diaper, and secure the back to the front with the diaper tabs. This is not bulky at all (I could even use with short gym shorts). When I posted this before, another poster here said their nurse suggested preemie size diapers -- having used newborn, I do think preemie size might fit even better and be even less bulky, but I don't think you can find preemie size diapers as easily as newborn size.

Here's the link: https://www.uhn.ca/PatientsFamilies/Health_Information/Health_Topics/Documents/Incontinence_Products.pdf

User
Posted 18 Jun 2020 at 21:59

Canterbury open hem stadium pants (side zipped fill leg length) were genius. Really easy to access the catheter bag discretely. Super useful for emptying on the fly.

TG 

User
Posted 24 Jun 2020 at 23:15

Bose quiet comfort 2 are very good. I didn’t need them as luckily went private and had my own room. First night I didn’t sleep as was too engaged watching and ensuring urine flow and other vital stats. I’m sure the nurses were amused by my tech engineering efforts. Take a media player of some kind. I managed to rig up a Roku box in the room on the TV and stream Netflix, amazon etc and the nurses when bored came to share the diverse media rich feed.

User
Posted 25 Jun 2020 at 16:34

Great move Carlos

Should help the time fly by. I was in a private room but the nurses station was outside the room so the buzzer was going 24/7. Only a couple of nights though so not bad in the grand scheme of things plus food was good. Day one liquids then day 2 had a proper meal. Just go easy as took a few days for the bowels to normalise. Lactulose was very helpful but go easy on it as creates a turbo effect 👀

TG

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 16 Jun 2020 at 15:15

Steve

Ear plugs and possibly eye mask, some hospitals will supply them. Don't get constipation again some hospitals issue them. 

Enjoy your sleep , when surgery is done take it easy, but not too easy, keep mobile. Listen to your medical team.

Best wishes, thanks Chris.

User
Posted 16 Jun 2020 at 15:52
The standard shopping list:

- large bucket (to stand the catheter bag in at night)

- pants (not boxer shorts) one size larger than you usually wear - your penis and scrotum may be very swollen afterwards and will appreciate the extra support

- comfy track suit bottoms / leisure pants, ideally in a dark colour & with a drawstring waist rather than elastic if possible - M&S do some in sweatshirt type material

- a waterproof sheet (Dunelm sells one which doesn't feel like plastic) or some disposable puppy pads from any good pet shop (to protect the mattress when your catheter comes out)

- ask whether the hospital will give you some instillagel to bring home with you post-op - if not, try to get a prescription for it now. It is a local anaesthetic gel to help stop the eye of your penis becoming too sore while the catheter is in

- clarify whether they will provide you with continence pads or whether you need to buy your own. If you have to purchase your own, get a couple of packs in but not hundreds because you might find you don't need them

- puzzles, books, etc

You may be very lucky and not need all of these so don't spend a fortune!

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 16 Jun 2020 at 15:53

Hi Steve, 

Mattress protector is a good idea, I got mine from Dunelm. Also, a large bucket for the catheter night bag.

Before you leave hospital, it's well worth practicing catheter bag emptying/changing drills while staff are on hand for support. Bending down can be difficult with a sore swollen abdomen. 

Take it easy post op, keep mobile but avoid stretching and lifting.

Good luck. 

Kev.

Edited by member 16 Jun 2020 at 15:58  | Reason: Typo

User
Posted 17 Jun 2020 at 06:02

Best of luck.

Cheers, John.

User
Posted 17 Jun 2020 at 14:04

Steve

Just for clarity the night bag should be fitted to a stand and then it all goes  in the bucket or bowl, do not just drop the night bag in the bottom of the bucket or bowl.

NHS areas have different protocols, in my area the leg bag stays on for 5-7 days. At night the night bag is connected to the drainage spout of the leg bag, in the morning it is removed, don't forget to get the tap in the right position. 

Some will issue a night bag that will be reused for seven days others issue one night bag per day. 

Get a couple of spare night straps if you can. I fasten my night bag tube to a thigh strap around my ankle, saves any pulling on  bag joints.  Make sure all joints are tight.

Instilagel or hydrocaine are the Rolls Royce of catheter maintenance. Some areas are now restricting its use in catheter care  due adverse reactions.

Thanks Chris

User
Posted 17 Jun 2020 at 15:14

Best of luck.

Cheers, John.

This all sounds so horrible, I'm really glad I chose RT 😆

User
Posted 17 Jun 2020 at 15:53

Make sure things that you need like a phone you have easy access to. I had open surgery RP and wasn't that mobile over the first 24 hours

The nurses will be keen to get you up- the first time is the hardest but worth it.

Try to get mobile as soon as you can (whilst still listening to your body) I started short walks everyday as soon as they let me out

I hadn't expected the short term reduction in lung capacity so use the inhaler thing they give you as much as you can ( may not apply if surgery is key hole but I had no idea about this bit)

The first bowel movement is a huge sense of relief and I wish I'd started on the stool softeners earlier!!! Bowels just stop working for a few days after the op so that bits not uncomfortable but as things start to move again hard stools and the added challenge of dealing with a catheter( and bypass) and trying not to strain too much is a challenge!! 

Be prepared for a level of swelling. I swear someone must have got my meat and 2 veg on the operating table and smacked them with a mallet :-) 

Having said all of the above I felt a huge sense of relief waking up from the operation, knowing it had all gone fine. If you think that everyday is going to get better from there on in it helps. And once that catheter is out then life quickly starts to get back to normal.

Good luck.

User
Posted 17 Jun 2020 at 16:12

Had my RP sept 18 at the Marsden. Got out from surgery around 2pm I was well drugged up and felt nothing. Overnight was ok but had to sleep on my back for obvious reasons. Felt rough in the morning and I was a grumpy patient - nurse was very patient. First poo was a daunting thought but happened without drama. Warning DONT PUSH HARD your new plumbing won’t like it. Wife drove me home late afternoon. I had my one and only major leak on the way home so maybe something to protect the car seat. I had a supra pubic catheter (not thru penis, thru lower tummy) hence the leak. Not much I could do about it, it happens. I felt sore but hospital gave me a good supply of pain killers (forgot name but not strong no ones). It was manageable. Tummy was still quite bloated from gas put in during surgery. Anyway that night made it up to bedroom with relative ease and had a good nights sleep. From then on every day got better. I made sure I got out for a very gentle walk each day - started off being 10 mins. Bowels nice and regular.

By day 7 back to Marsden and catheter removed - even caught a bus such was my progress. Now going solo. I was so surprised, all the work I did on pelvic floor muscles pre op starting to pay off. I had good urinary control, but I was glad I overstocked on pads, gave me some confidence.

By week 2 some slight soreness but life quickly returning back to normal. I kept on with the walking, good for the mind too. After one month it was all a distant memory. No major leakages but I resumed kegal exercises after nurse gave me heads up - this helped me greatly to retrain my mind to sub consciously manage stress situations that cause leakages.

At 8 weeks went on a long flight to Mauritius for 10 Day holiday. Salt water and gentle breaststroke was great for recovery.

Nearly 2 years on I have no significant issues, scars hardly noticeable - even my ED started to disappear and I can now have a 80% erection that does the job. And the best of all my PSA is undetectable - you’ll learn to love that word!! I have no regrets.

User
Posted 17 Jun 2020 at 21:15

Loads of advice above.   I took earplugs but they were in my bag which they'd left in the pre-op area for the first night.  We had a guy who snored like a lion roaring in the wild.  Someone with a beeping machine that got faster from time to time.  It was hell not helped by me being asleep all afternoon while they waited for a bed, induced I think.

Keep drinking water it goes into a bag so you don't need to worry about going to the loo.  The water will keep you soft.  The food was awful so after having the pre-op enema there was nothing in me.  I didn't use the hospital loo at all.

Get wandering round as soon as they remove the drip.  Slippers.  Dressing gown isn't much use when you're carrying a bag of urine in your left hand and perhaps a blood drain bag in your right hand.  So be ready to wander round in your NHS gown and DVT stockings.  Like a fancy dress.  There are plenty in there worse than you.  That you will be going home soon makes you grateful.

There was a bloke in the next bed in a bad way with 20 pipes and valves coming out that not even the consultant was allowed to touch, he lived near us.  I'd love to know what happened to him. He was a very pleasant person a bit younger than me.  I wish I'd exchanged more details.  It was a weird time my only stay in hospital.

Edited by member 17 Jun 2020 at 21:22  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 17 Jun 2020 at 22:14

I don't think that is routine Mike - it may just be your hospital, or just some patients, or possibly because they were already conscious of the importance of good lung function with Coronavirus? 

User
Posted 17 Jun 2020 at 23:13

A mouth full of coffee is soaking into the keyboard...🤣

User
Posted 17 Jun 2020 at 23:19

No idea if some of the advice above is good in general. For me, at 68 probably at the more senior end of RP, here's my experiences:

1. Sleep in hospital was pretty much non-existent, but it was only one night and my bag was definitely not in range to put on my headphones. Maybe those who go private have more helpful night staff, but my experience is that on the NHS they pretty much ignore the patients as much as they can. Most appear to be studying.

2. It definitely helps to not be pushing your stools, but the biggest factor in this is to be moving asap - I got moving as soon as they let me and was doing 30 minute walks as soon as the catheter came out. That said, I took my course of lactulose because I tend to suffer from constipation anyway.

3. I also found that despite the catheter I felt the need for the toilet on the way home (a 1.5 hour journey for us, as our local RARP surgeon left our closer hospital just before the operation). Emergency stop at petrol station saved the day.

4. Really not much pain - I took the Paracetomol and Ibuprofen prescribed for a few days, then dropped the latter (caused some indigestion) and then the former, with an OK from the Cancer Nurse.

5. Never had a leak at night and never took any special care of the bag, just went in a bowl on the floor. Have had bad bladder reaction to general anaesthetic thrice previously, so a bit blase about the catheter; not found the need to pussyfoot around it much. Great relief when it comes out, of course.

6. Scars are nothing, at least to someone that has had proper carve ups (my melanoma scar is about 8" long and not pretty, for instance).

7. Bruising comes out over time - don't be surprised when your balls suddenly turn black & blue. It all goes.

8. You can get some continence pads/pants in the free pack from this site. They are actually quite heavy duty, so are almost certainly enough to get you going. If you need more, any decent sized supermarket is likely to have some - although likely hidden in female products! Otherwise Incontinence Choice have a very wide range at reasonable prices that can be delivered to your door. I was able to switch to the light pads quickly so never needed to buy any more of the heavier pads. Of course YMMV.

9. Definitely trackies are the thing post-op, but any reasonably loose trousers are OK with a catheter - whatever you feel comfortable in. For underwear, I used trunks, which offer support but are not too tight - I wear them a size up (in waist terms) anyway.

User
Posted 17 Jun 2020 at 23:55

I had HDR brachy, which involved an overnight stay in hospital, the first time I have done this. I snore louder than that lion Peter mentioned, but I didn't disturb anyone because I don't think I got a wink of sleep.

Most people had some machine which made a random bleeping noise somewhere near them. One guy was in a lot of pain and moaned all night (normally this would have p****d me off, but I was just thankful I wasn't like that).

Every four hours I had blood pressure taken. So that meant no sleep. Food was actually very good at Christie's. I had my phone with me and a charger so could get on Internet and phone friends, that was essential.

I was in Friday before a bank holiday, I had some minor complications and they nearly kept me in all weekend. I would have hated that.

Can't help you anymore as mine was not RP so recovery would be different.

Dave

User
Posted 18 Jun 2020 at 08:34

Thanks Lyn - really appreciated good practical tips!

Actually can I just thank everyone who contributed on this - so good to get this feedback. Until this I'd never been in hospital (I'm 63) so I think my concerns are more about the unknown really. Ironically I've never felt fitter - dropped a stone in weight as being fit for the Op has given me the focus I've needed for a couple of years. Also didn't have any symptoms until they started taking lumps out of my prostate!

I'll be going in well equipped after these contributions. Cheers all

Edited by member 18 Jun 2020 at 08:45  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 18 Jun 2020 at 09:30

Hi Steve, like you I was on the waiting list for RP delayed due to C19 but was lucky to get it moved forward and today I am day 8 post op.

Every day getting better, and now looking forward to the future.

Good luck

User
Posted 18 Jun 2020 at 16:40
Lots of good tips already. I'll just add one, as my cancer center (largest in Canada) is the only one that I've seen to give this tip.

For pads, they suggest buying NEWBORN DIAPERS.

Why diapers and why specifically "newborn" diapers, and not a larger toddler size?:

* Diapers are less expensive AND more absorbent than products for adults.

* the smallest newborn diaper size actually fits perfectly. You basically cup the penis and the scrotum with the newborn diaper, and secure the back to the front with the diaper tabs. This is not bulky at all (I could even use with short gym shorts). When I posted this before, another poster here said their nurse suggested preemie size diapers -- having used newborn, I do think preemie size might fit even better and be even less bulky, but I don't think you can find preemie size diapers as easily as newborn size.

Here's the link: https://www.uhn.ca/PatientsFamilies/Health_Information/Health_Topics/Documents/Incontinence_Products.pdf

User
Posted 18 Jun 2020 at 21:59

Canterbury open hem stadium pants (side zipped fill leg length) were genius. Really easy to access the catheter bag discretely. Super useful for emptying on the fly.

TG 

User
Posted 24 Jun 2020 at 18:58

Someone mentioned earplugs, but even better a good pair of noise-cancelling headphones and something to play your favourite music or audio books on them.

If sounds of other people talking, groaning in pain or instrument 'beep beep', eating noises or any other noises (and there will be plenty unless you have a private room) bother you, then these are a life-saver.

I had mine on nearly all night and it got me through it. Noises bother me. It would have been hell without them. They don't totally block it all out, but they reduce it to a level I can cope with.

_____

Two cannibals named Ectomy and Prost, all alone on a Desert island.

Prost was the strongest, so Prost ate Ectomy.

User
Posted 24 Jun 2020 at 23:15

Bose quiet comfort 2 are very good. I didn’t need them as luckily went private and had my own room. First night I didn’t sleep as was too engaged watching and ensuring urine flow and other vital stats. I’m sure the nurses were amused by my tech engineering efforts. Take a media player of some kind. I managed to rig up a Roku box in the room on the TV and stream Netflix, amazon etc and the nurses when bored came to share the diverse media rich feed.

User
Posted 25 Jun 2020 at 08:35

Hi. After being diagnosed and then told about the op, I bought the Bose quiet comfort 35 ll . They are superb incredible sound and the noise cancelling is second to none, so my iPad and headphones will be coming to the hospital with me. 

Carlos

User
Posted 25 Jun 2020 at 16:34

Great move Carlos

Should help the time fly by. I was in a private room but the nurses station was outside the room so the buzzer was going 24/7. Only a couple of nights though so not bad in the grand scheme of things plus food was good. Day one liquids then day 2 had a proper meal. Just go easy as took a few days for the bowels to normalise. Lactulose was very helpful but go easy on it as creates a turbo effect 👀

TG